Corsair Community

ICUE Nexus, is it the worst USB device in history ?

Hi,

Personal story ...

A little over a year and a half ago I bought a K95 RGB Platinium and an ICUE Nexus.

At that time they were connected to a DELL Precision 7730 laptop via a DELL WD19DC docking station and a TPlink USB 3.0 hub.

Directly after starting to use them I experienced blue screens, this problem disappeared when I uninstalled the iCUE software or unplugged the Nexus.

A few weeks and updates later and the upgrade to iCUE 4 that had become available gave the Nexus a second chance on my system and the blue screens were gone.

Great, you might say, but not really...

So I continued to use the Nexus for a few months on this system but then I experienced many other problems that I did not think were related to the Nexus, in a non-exhaustive way:
- Various problems with the WD19DC docking station when connecting to the laptop or booting or waking up > I finally learned to live with these problems and found ways to "minimize" them.
- Logitech Brio webcam that does not work for windows Hello (Connected to same USB 3.0 Hub) > so I no longer used it for its Hello functionality and I unlocked my session otherwise.
- Instability of the bandwidth of the ethernet networks of the USB NIC integrated into the docking station, with sudden drops in speed down to 0 during load tests and very unstable speed the rest of the time. (Network infrastructure is professional grade). > so I finally used the integrated NIC of the Laptop instead of that of the docking station.
- Various problems with an external Soudblaster X3 sound card connected via USB to the docking station.

For months I searched for solutions to all these problems while learning to live with them, I updated the firmware, bios and drivers of all my equipment each time a new version was available in the hope that some problems are solved but without results... but I never thought to unplug the NEXUS again... until a few days ago...

To continue the story... I replaced my Precision 7730 with a 7760 3 weeks ago and I kept the existing WD19DC docking station and there new problems came on top of the previous ones.
- Impossible to boot the laptop when it is connected to the docking station and its screen is closed (on external monitors therefore). The boot freezes on the DELL logo
- Impossible to access the Bios under the same conditions but with the laptop screen open this time, the screen remains black...
- When the laptop tries to go to sleep an endless loop occurs, the laptop goes to sleep > the screens turn off > the keyboard and the nexus turn off > there is a disconnection notification sound from a peripherals > the keyboard and the NEXU turn back on > They turn off again > there is a disconnect notification sound from a peripheral > the keyboard and the NEXU turn back on...and it goes on and on.

I am looking for solutions everywhere on the internet... I try all the possible and imaginable parameters at all levels, Bios, Windows 10 OS and Drivers... without success.
I update again all firmware, bios and drivers... without success.
I have the docking station replaced by DELL which is still under warranty... without success.
Meanwhile, in addition to the new problems, the Brio still does not work for Windows Hello, the ethernet network bandwidth is still erratic... despite the laptop being new and the docking station also being new.

And suddenly I decide to do some tests by unplugging the NEXUS ... and believe me or not but all the problems disappeared instantly, the old ones as well as the new ones!!!!

And it's perfectly reproducible... when the NEXUS is plugged in, everything is wrong, when it isn't, everything is fine...

Which brings me back to the question in the title of this post:

Is it the worst USB device in history of USB devices?

For my part, on my systems and my configurations, I obviously have the answer based on my personal experience... It is certain that my NEXUS will now return to its pretty box.

I only regret that I didn't think of testing without it sooner, I suffered problems for so long and lost countless hours trying to solve them that I prefer not to think about it anymore...

So if you sometimes, or often have strange problems, consider testing without your NEXUS, you never know...

If all is well on your configuration (and that the CPU load related to it does not bother you) obviously continue to use yours.

End of the story for me ! (despite that, I'm still happy with my K95 😁)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
On 5/10/2022 at 10:41 AM, sltech said:

Hi,

Personal story ...

A little over a year and a half ago I bought a K95 RGB Platinium and an ICUE Nexus.

At that time they were connected to a DELL Precision 7730 laptop via a DELL WD19DC docking station and a TPlink USB 3.0 hub.

Directly after starting to use them I experienced blue screens, this problem disappeared when I uninstalled the iCUE software or unplugged the Nexus.

A few weeks and updates later and the upgrade to iCUE 4 that had become available gave the Nexus a second chance on my system and the blue screens were gone.

Great, you might say, but not really...

So I continued to use the Nexus for a few months on this system but then I experienced many other problems that I did not think were related to the Nexus, in a non-exhaustive way:
- Various problems with the WD19DC docking station when connecting to the laptop or booting or waking up > I finally learned to live with these problems and found ways to "minimize" them.
- Logitech Brio webcam that does not work for windows Hello (Connected to same USB 3.0 Hub) > so I no longer used it for its Hello functionality and I unlocked my session otherwise.
- Instability of the bandwidth of the ethernet networks of the USB NIC integrated into the docking station, with sudden drops in speed down to 0 during load tests and very unstable speed the rest of the time. (Network infrastructure is professional grade). > so I finally used the integrated NIC of the Laptop instead of that of the docking station.
- Various problems with an external Soudblaster X3 sound card connected via USB to the docking station.

For months I searched for solutions to all these problems while learning to live with them, I updated the firmware, bios and drivers of all my equipment each time a new version was available in the hope that some problems are solved but without results... but I never thought to unplug the NEXUS again... until a few days ago...

To continue the story... I replaced my Precision 7730 with a 7760 3 weeks ago and I kept the existing WD19DC docking station and there new problems came on top of the previous ones.
- Impossible to boot the laptop when it is connected to the docking station and its screen is closed (on external monitors therefore). The boot freezes on the DELL logo
- Impossible to access the Bios under the same conditions but with the laptop screen open this time, the screen remains black...
- When the laptop tries to go to sleep an endless loop occurs, the laptop goes to sleep > the screens turn off > the keyboard and the nexus turn off > there is a disconnection notification sound from a peripherals > the keyboard and the NEXU turn back on > They turn off again > there is a disconnect notification sound from a peripheral > the keyboard and the NEXU turn back on...and it goes on and on.

I am looking for solutions everywhere on the internet... I try all the possible and imaginable parameters at all levels, Bios, Windows 10 OS and Drivers... without success.
I update again all firmware, bios and drivers... without success.
I have the docking station replaced by DELL which is still under warranty... without success.
Meanwhile, in addition to the new problems, the Brio still does not work for Windows Hello, the ethernet network bandwidth is still erratic... despite the laptop being new and the docking station also being new.

And suddenly I decide to do some tests by unplugging the NEXUS ... and believe me or not but all the problems disappeared instantly, the old ones as well as the new ones!!!!

And it's perfectly reproducible... when the NEXUS is plugged in, everything is wrong, when it isn't, everything is fine...

Which brings me back to the question in the title of this post:

Is it the worst USB device in history of USB devices?

For my part, on my systems and my configurations, I obviously have the answer based on my personal experience... It is certain that my NEXUS will now return to its pretty box.

I only regret that I didn't think of testing without it sooner, I suffered problems for so long and lost countless hours trying to solve them that I prefer not to think about it anymore...

So if you sometimes, or often have strange problems, consider testing without your NEXUS, you never know...

If all is well on your configuration (and that the CPU load related to it does not bother you) obviously continue to use yours.

End of the story for me ! (despite that, I'm still happy with my K95 😁)

What happens if you plug the Nexus into the laptop directly instead of via the docking station? That would determine if the problem was with the Nexus itself, or your USB controllers / ports that connect between the Nexus and your system.