Corsair Community

HX1000i 24-pin incorrect hole shape?

Hi everyone,

I noticed something very strange with my HX1000i yesterday while tidying up my cable management. I've already opened a ticket with Corsair about it, but I thought I'd try and gather some additional opinions as I'm now convinced I'm going mad...

I received the HX1000i as a warranty replacement last year for an AX860i with a noisy, pulsing fan. Since then it has, seemingly, been working absolutely fine.

When I tried to plug the split 24-pin cable back in yesterday I noticed that the 10-pin connector slides in quite easily, whilst the 14-pin connector was really quite difficult. I seem to vaguely remember it being quite tight the first time I plugged it in, but I didn't think much of it at the time.

With the PSU fan upside down, facing the ports, the first two holes of the 24-pin section should be square, then arch shaped. This is supported by the shape of the cable (stock type 3 cable supplied with the unit), as well as images on the HX1000i product pages and various reviews across the internet.

1668184026_CorsairProductPageExample.thumb.jpg.8a624915e9a1b7125a8966f57a03dfa5.jpg

On closer inspection, my PSU's first two holes are arch then square shaped...very odd. So the square pin on the cable has somehow been squeezing into an arch shaped hole, which I didn't think was supposed to be possible.

20220507_102326.thumb.jpg.c03db55b543268e2e4eb8d3851c6e1aa.jpg

Sure enough, the square pin on the cable is also ever so slightly squashed.

224764226_Type3Cable.thumb.jpg.36502c04ad752fb0dd6fb1b716272f76.jpg

All the other holes are the correct shape, it seems to affect just these two, which appear to be transposed.

Have I been doing something wrong, or does it look like there a manufacturing defect with my PSU?

• Confused 1

is that the cable that came with the HXi or is it the AXi one? it looks like an AXi cable to me

If it is you must use the one that came with the HXi

Hi,

No, I was asked to send all the AXi cables back with the RMA. Those were covered in a mesh material.

-CP-9020037-UK-Gallery-AX860i-06.thumb.png.a16584e97c331d2e13b0c2f796294594.png

The ones I'm using definitely came with the HXi and are all 'flat' ribbon cables.

-CP-9020074-UK-Gallery-HX1000i-007.thumb.png.71866c80b4f9593ec1daba41e9d9ba2c.png

They also have Type-3 printed on the side which is correct for the HXi (and the AXi too according to Corsair's compatibility chart). I've looked at a picture of the AX860i connectors and it looks to be exactly the same as what the HX1000i should be.

Edited by PilotGW

When i looked at the AXi page on the website, those two pins seemed to correspond to the PSU, but not to type 3 socket. At this point i don't understand either!

It's a weird one for sure.

The 24-pin socket on my particular PSU doesn't match any image of the HX1000i I've found online at all. I just can't fathom how something like this would've happened at manufacturing though as I'm sure someone else would've reported it as well...hence why I'm questioning my sanity. 🥴

Effectively, I received the HX1000i as a warranty replacement last year for an AX860i with a noisy, pulsing fan. Since then it has, seemingly, been working fine. For reference, I'm using the cables supplied with the HX1000i, NOT the AX860i.

I received the first reply to the support ticket yesterday, however I'm not filled with confidence that they understand the problem, or that I'm explaining myself properly. They said the shape doesn't matter...but surely if that's the case, why are they shaped at all?

I don't feel comfortable using the PSU like this, but I need to get my PC back up and running ASAP for studying and I could do without having to buy a new one at this point.

Does this look like a manufacturing error, or did the HX1000i socket undergo changes...or does the shape truly not matter?

looks like Molex mini-fit connectors. i don't even think they do different keyings, only different pin counts. that does look super weird!

21 hours ago, Technobeard said:

While an arched pin can fit in a square hole, a square pin cannot fit into an arched hole - well SHOULD not aside from the evidence here! 🙂

Can't say I've ever heard of this either. I'll ping someone internally about this.

Thank you very much, it's much appreciated!

Just to add further evidence of the issue, a direct comparison of my PSU with pictures taken from multiple reviews of the PSU. Definitely a difference...but why? 🥴

1020916151_PSUCompare.thumb.jpg.5bed89a44ea21a06dadfa0cf869dd110.jpg

• Corsair Employees

Double check the 24-pin cable and make sure its marked as Type 3

Hi,

It's definitely marked Type 3, but I don't think the cable is the issue here. As I've pointed out, it's layout corresponds exactly, shape by shape, to every image of the 24-pin socket of the HX1000i I've seen online.

1978781841_PSUSide1.thumb.jpg.31418d420e35bc04ffa559e62daced4c.jpg

My PSU's socket is clearly different to the review/product page examples I've posted, and unless there has been a change in the socket's design, this shouldn't be the case, surely?

I've even had a look at some Type 4 PSUs (HX1000 and RMx etc.) and the shapes of the first two holes are the same as Type 3 anyway, square then arch, not the other way round.

really looks like this puppy here

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/pcb_headers/1724470214

The other PSUs seem to be the right keying. Yours, i have no idea where it comes from!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

really looks like this puppy here

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/pcb_headers/1724470214

The other PSUs seem to be the right keying. Yours, i have no idea where it comes from!

I was actually looking at that earlier, based on your previous post! Definitely corresponds to what it should look like!

At this rate I can only assume it's a bad batch of that particular header, as I couldn't find anything that resembles the socket on my particular PSU. 🤔