Corsair Community

Can HX750i handle a 3080 on a single pcie cable?

Posted (edited)

Out of the box i noticed that a single cable comes with 2 8 pin connectors, so i used a single one to power my 3080, its not overvolted but it is indeed overclocked, now randomly i saw on reddit people saying this is a bad practice and a single cable couldnt handle the 320w requirement of the 3080, well, since the 2 x8 pin was already on the cable and the psu meets the 3080 requirements which is exactly 750w i thought it would be fine to do so. It haven't exploded (yet) but is it ok ? how many W a single cable can handle?

Edited by RodrigoDRT

• Corsair Employees

No you need to be utilizing a single PCIe cable from the PSU per PCIe Power Connector on your GPU. This isn't just our recommendation but this is also the GPU manufacturer's recommendation.

i don't know for the pigtail, but a PCIE connexion is 150W. Even the card is not made to get 300 - 350W off only 8 pins. Even if the cable id beefier, the sockets are severely overloaded and can overheat with time with various smoky consequences.

Dangly pigtails are ugly when using two cables, but it's better than smoking an expensive GPU (and you can replace with aftermarket individual cables to make it neater, look for Corsair type 3 or type 4 PCIE cables. Corsair and Cablemod makes these in all kinds of colors)

Ugh, its been like this for about an year and half, never had any problems but for good measure i'll use 2 cables instead rn! hopefully i havent caused any damage... It was a completely occasional find.....

it's a 3080, so if it's not one with some OC VBIOS that pulls 400W for 2% perf increase, it should be fine hopefully 🙂

If you never experienced crashes, it's good sign, but yes, better correct the overload than rely on luck.

You may actually achieve better overclocks with 2 cables since your PCIE voltage willmost likely be higher, and certainly more stable. time to push those 3Dmarks numbers

7 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

it's a 3080, so if it's not one with some OC VBIOS that pulls 400W for 2% perf increase, it should be fine hopefully 🙂

If you never experienced crashes, it's good sign, but yes, better correct the overload than rely on luck.

You may actually achieve better overclocks with 2 cables since your PCIE voltage willmost likely be higher, and certainly more stable. time to push those 3Dmarks numbers

And correct it i did... can't believe i never heard of this before, but yea, its a zotac gpu, they don't even allow for more than 100% power limit on afterburner, it was overclocked but never messed with overvolts and the only crashes i had was going beyod +120mhz oc, it's been running like this since the very beginning and never noticed anything wrong whatsoever, nor crashes going above that oc, also, if im not wrong, doesnt the PCI-e bus itself provide about 75w? hopefully that made the load a bit easier on the single cable, hopefully its not just wishful thinking... zotac warranty is a bit crap too with only 2 years...

75W is what the specification says but you may find the real draw will be somewhere in the 55 - 65W figure. The bulk of the juice comes from the PCIE.

You can see that on HWinfo64 sensor panel, it shows what power is drawn from the bus, the cables etc.. (if you have a corsair fan controller, remember to disable Corsair/asetek support in HWinfo security settings).

GPU-Z is another option to show you the power split along the cables and PCI-E and might be easier for quick checks of gpu values only.