Corsair Community

Connecting HS80 to iCUE on Macbook Pro Big Sur - not detected in iCUE if connected thru dongle

Hey all, I recently picked up a pair of HS80's as they've been advertised to work on Windows, Mac, and PS consoles. I had no problem connecting them to iCUE on my personal Windows machine, but I've had trouble doing the same on my MacBook Pro. I've downloaded the latest version of iCUE macOS onto my MacBook and installed it.

iCUE macOS version: 4.23.137

I'm able to see the headset show up in iCUE when I connect it with a USB cable, but it is not detected when connecting thru the dongle.

When connected thru the USB cord, I can see all the standard features iCUE has for this headset.

If I connect the headset first thru a USB cord (at this point I'm able to see it in iCUE), and then I plug in the dongle and turn the headset on, the headset then disappears from iCUE.

I've tried to pair the headset in "Device Settings" while it's plugged in with a USB cable, but it once again disappears when I plug in the dongle and turn on the headset.

The installed version for the headset when plugged in w/ a USB cable is 5.6.39.

I'm using an Anker Docking station to connect all my USB devices/other peripherals, this one: https://us.anker.com/products/a8396

I've tried restarting iCUE, re-installing it, and restarting my Mac. None have worked.

--

So I'm a little lost on what I can do now. Maybe it's the Anker Docking station?

The thing is, the headset works just fine without iCUE. I can still hear thru the speakers and talk into the microphone. But iCUE isn't playing nice. I mainly wanted it to have sidetone.

Any suggestions?

• Corsair Employees

The likely cause of the issue is going to be the Anker Dock. We would recommend you utilize an official Apple Type-C to Type-A adapter, and then test to see if the issue persists.

8 minutes ago, Corsair Notepad said:

The likely cause of the issue is going to be the Anker Dock. We would recommend you utilize an official Apple Type-C to Type-A adapter, and then test to see if the issue persists.

I had a feeling that was the issue. I'll try it with the adapter and see if that fixes it.

I do have my doubts though. The dongle still works fine thru the Anker dock when I'm not using iCUE. The problem only arises when I try to connect the headset to iCUE. 

• Corsair Employees
6 minutes ago, ZekeHD said:

I had a feeling that was the issue. I'll try it with the adapter and see if that fixes it.

I do have my doubts though. The dongle still works fine thru the Anker dock when I'm not using iCUE. The problem only arises when I try to connect the headset to iCUE. 

Third-party docks and adapters indeed can prevent the iCUE software from being able to properly recognize and control/connect to a device.

Okay so discovery! I had the dongle plugged into the front left USB port on the dock (the only USB port on the front of the dock, the side with the power button). I tried one of the USB ports in the back, and it miraculously started working. Headset was detected instantly.

I had it plugged in here, the bottom left USB port in this picture: https://us.anker.com/products/a8396#6039775772822-2

I tried one of the ones in the back, and it worked. Weird, but glad we found a solution.

• Corsair Employees

Glad you were able to get it to work.