Corsair Community

Twinx1024-4000

Dekoth

I have had this ram for a while now, and it has worked wonderfully. However recently I started getting some errors on my machine alot of freezing and bluescreening. Of course the first thing I did was make certain windows was intact since it is usually the first problem, then I ran Prime 95 and of course it fairly quickly failed. So I immeditally loosened the timings same results. I am fortunate enough to have extra memory around and have a set of TWINX1024-3200XL So I dropped that into the machine an even at its tightest timings everything is stable and no failures on Prime95. So I am fairly certain the Ram has gone bad.

While I am thinking about it although I of course doubt it, Corsair wouldnt by chance have a trade in program, where users could trade in memory by chance would they? Just a quick question as I am wanting 2gb in my machine and i really hate to have 4 512mb modules of nice memory collecting dust if i buy a 2gb twinx.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Settings are as follows

Cpu AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2300mhz voltage 1.65v

MSI K8N Neo NForce 3

Ram timings and settings

2T

Cas 2.5

Ras to Cas 3

Min Ras 7

Precharge 3

FSB 230MHZ

-----------------------------

Note the problems I am having are at the default settings as well, and clear up completely when I use the 3200XL.

2.7v is the voltage

Slots 1 and 3, and or the two specific dual channel slots cant recall their exact number as I have no idea where the motherboard manual is.

Have I tried them individually? yes, they both fail. Besides its a twinx matched pair anyhow.

Now as some new info to this I decided to check a couple more things.

I dropped a new cpu in, and while the system is definitally more stable overall, its still failing the Ram tests. Now the new cpu is an athlon 64 3200+ not a large change, but if I set it at the same settings as the 3000+ to achieve 2.3ghz I get the same results, the system will generally remain stable for a few hours on tests like prime 95 with the aforementioned settings but it will crash. Now if i change the ram speeds to Cas 3, 4-4-8 it passes the tests for as long as I am willing to run them, however those are not settings I am willing to live with.

• Corsair Employees
A 3200+ CPU would run at 2200 Mhz. Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

As mentioned above,

MSI K8N Neo2 Socket 754 Nforce 3.

Correct on the 3200+. specifically 2.211 ghz is its default speed.

Ok running the 4000+ which is what I am concerned about,

for the system to be stable even at the stock speeds of the cpu,

Cas 3, 4-4-8 voltage 2.7v ( 2.7 is my OC voltage and at this speed just for reference I can drop down to 2.5v and it makes no difference since that is stock speed anyhow. )

Ram Fsb in the bios is set at 200mhz

Cpu and everything at default, allows the system to remain stable, only difference being as you can see above those settings are altered in order for the memory to be stable.

Now on a comparison, using the 3200XL,

2-2-2-5 @ 2.7v and 270mhz,

Cpu at 2.475ghz ( yes I have water cooling ) and the system is 98% stable. I say 98% stable because since It will fail a stress test like Prime 95 after about 5 hours or so, but all other applications including intense games are stable and crash free. To give you an idea of the types of apps I am putting on the unit for reference, EQ2, Battlefield2, FFXI and World of Warcraft are the most commonly run applications. If you are familiar with the hardware requirements of BF2 being they are fairly high, I ran the machine at those settings for 8 hours a day all weekend long without a single crash, so I am fairly confident in the stability of the motherboard and cpu at this point. Interestingly enough, It almost seems the 3200XL actually outperforms the xms 4000 which strikes me as a bit odd.

While I am at it, a question since you deal with this stuff daily. On an AMD system, with a dual channel board what would be the recommended memory for the best overall performance? I ask because I am about to purchase two 1 gig sticks since I am finding that 1gb is no longer enough.

• Corsair Employees

I have no problem replacing the module for you if you like, but I would try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and you might try and increase the CPU Vcore as well.

And if you need 2.0 Gig of memory I would suggest Twinx10248-3200C2 for best performance.

I will try those settings tonight and see how the system reacts. If the problem persist's I will go ahead with the RMA. Thank you for the information.

As a final thought here, Referring to my earlier question Does Corsair happen to have any type of trade in program? I mostly ask because if I upgrade as I suspect I will, I truly hate to have that much money in memory laying around collecting dust.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but no, there would not be any way for us to upgrade the memory for you. They would be replaced with the same speed or faster if the specific part is not available that you send in.

Archived