Corsair Community

Is it safe to OC RAM without messing with voltage? 3600 -> 3866

RodrigoDRT

So I decided to mess with my CMW32GX4M2D3600C16, that is, some 2x16GB vengeance RGB 3600 c18 modules. I changed the settings to XMP, the voltage bumps automatically to 1.36v or so with default settings, so I manually changed some values without messing with voltage, i tried 3866 16-20-20-42 settings and it boots and play games for a few minutes no problem, even ran cinebench R20, it shows a small boost but it shows anyways, voltage remains 1.36v on auto, with that said, is it dangerous to run like this?

1.36V is pretty much the standard for running DDR4 in XMP. They can run like that all year long, no issues.

Now, bumping up the frequency won't necesarely make significant gains.

You'll gain a lot from going from the default 2133 to 3600, but pushing a little more will only give you a few points on benchmarks, and almost nothing in game.

So the question is, is the performance difference worth getting closer and closer to instability 🙂

😄 Well, a bit is better than nothing, if it doesnt harm them in any way ill go for it 

You'll be hard pressed to measure any temperature difference on your RAM between 1.35-1.375v.  More significant jumps are to 1.40v and 1.45v where you may need to assess your IC and temperatures.  1.36 is more likely to be a rounding effect rather an actual voltage bump from the motherboard's pre-programmed voltage table.