Corsair Community

AV8 Memory recommendations - reading between the lines

kojak71

It's obvious that if a product existed that could run as fast as possible at 2-5-2-2 T1 for the AV8 that would be the product to get, but such a product doesn't exist.

According to the "Corsair Configurator" the following RAM is recommended:

Lowest latency: TWINX1024-3200XL

Highest overclocking: TWINX1024-4400C25

Reading through the lab reports (5001 & 5008 respectively), what's not clear is what the highest overclock would be on relaxed timings for both these modules, and what the most aggressive timings would be for the 4400c25 at DDR400 speeds. I.e. which of the two RAMS is the most versatile.

I started off this search from the Hexus review shoot-out which highlighted the 3200XL modules. In the right to reply, Corsair's Joe James said "Corsair recommends our TwinX1024-4400C25 memory kit to anyone seeking the fastest DDR module in the world." But according to the Hexus review the 3200XL can run at up to 274MHz at relaxed timings of 2.5-4-3-10 which is pretty close to 4400c25 timings of 2.5-4-4-8 @ 250MHz as stated in the 5008 report. To complicate things Hexus's review was not the Abit AV8 motherboard. I guess I'm looking for clarification as to what's best when overclocking a system (the limiting factors being the RAM runs at 1T, and that VDIMM is rather limiting on the AV8 at the moment. So is it running RAM with aggressive timings as possible but not in synch with the CPU, or running it with relaxed timings but in synch with the clocking of the CPU.

• Corsair Employees
Our TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200XL which are rated at DDR 400MHz with a 2/2/2/5 1T memory timing settings; these module/model doesn't have any problem working with the ABIT AV8 MB, it should be fully compatible and should work without any problem.

Our TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200XL which are rated at DDR 400MHz with a 2/2/2/5 1T memory timing settings; these module/model doesn't have any problem working with the ABIT AV8 MB, it should be fully compatible and should work without any problem.

Thanks RAM GUY, but it's not exactly what I was after. Although I'm initially planning to run my system at standard speeds, I do want the flexibility to overclock the system by @ 25%, and I don't want the RAM to be the limiting factor. So:

Question 1: What timings can I ran the TWINX1024-3200XL when running at DDR 500MHz?

Question 2: Can TWINX1024-4400C25 run at DDR 400MHz, and how aggressive could the timings be set at?

• Corsair Employees
XMS4400C25 is made with the same IC as XMS3200XL so in theory they would be able to run at the same timings Cass 2-2-2-5. However they would not be garneted at that speed or setting.

I know the answer to the first question, so the one that remains is:

Can TWINX1024-4400C25 run at DDR 400MHz, and how aggressive can the timings be set at?

I have a set of the aforementioned TwinX 1024 PC4400 and the stock factory settings for this RAM at 275MHz is 2.5,4,4,8 at (1T) I can run highest at 333MHz settining, due (I think) to a memory controller in the processor I have not being capable of keeping up with the data flow at full speed. Passes Memtest fine at 275MHz, just wont run my pc at that memory speed.

XMS4400C25 is made with the same IC as XMS3200XL so in theory they would be able to run at the same timings Cass 2-2-2-5. However they would not be garneted at that speed or setting.

Thanks for the clarification RAM GUY.

Archived