Corsair Community

HS80 Audio Cutting out periodically

Hi,

Recently bought the HS80 as an upgrade from the HS70. 

Started noticing the audio, frequently at times, cutting out for a second at most when I'm sitting right next to the receiver. Will be watching a video and the start or end of words are being cut off / music cutting in and out. At times its crazy frequent and really just defeats the purposes of having a headset, really gets me annoyed. The issue obviously seems to be connection related, researching online, I thought perhaps because the wireless uses the 2.4ghz range, that something could be interfering however the HS70 was the same and I never had issues with audio dropping out on that headset.

Seems for some reason to be happening more at night for me, if that's of any value.

Any advice is appreciated, really sucks I'd rather keep this headset as its solid otherwise. 

• Like 1

• Corsair Employees

Hi Dullahan,

Do you have the sleep mode enabled in your settings? If you disable this setting do you have the same  issue?

Could you try a soft reset, with the headset powered off please hold the power button until the unit powers on and continue to hold the power button until the headset powers off. The would complete the power cycle and you would just continue to test the headset.

Let me know if the issue continues.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah same issue, even with ICUE uninstalled.

Just plugged in my old HS70, listening to some rain and no drop outs.

Switch to the HS80, instantly the audio is dropping out repeatedly. Then it works maybe for 10 or 20 mins and the problem will come back. 

Its not continuous, but its enough that it drives you insane when your listening to something and all of a sudden its dropping out, then its fine, then it starts again.

I bought a 10ft cable to connect the receiver to and took it as far as I can from my computer and modem, thinking its possibly interference here. That didn't solve it, however it is usb 3.0 and I know that has some issues with interference apparently. I don't have any 2.0 slots in my computer so I can't test it in the same conditions, however none of this should matter, its a direct upgrade from the HS70, which worked fine.

For anyone else that has this issue. 

I've spent some time trying to figure out what is going on. Finally coming across this post from a while back - https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/104422-wifi-interfering-with-vengeance-2100/

After going into my router settings for 2.4ghz and changing the width from 20/40ghz to be only 20ghz, I have experienced no issues. I'll continue to monitor this as the issue in general wasn't persistent, but occurred often enough to drive you crazy. I've also found here - https://www.minim.com/blog/wifi-channels-explained-what-is-wifi-channel-width - that doing this is better anyway for 2.4ghz as there are several overlapping channels in this band.

The next thing I'll attempt if the issue comes back is changing the channel the 2.4ghz wifi in my home operates on, as its currently on auto, meaning it will select a channel with the least congestion. 

After doing some digging, I came across the channels the HS80 dongle operates on being 2402.21MHz, 2440.21MHz, and 2478.21MHz which roughly puts it in channels 1, 8 and 14. So if the issue arises again, I'll switch my 2.4ghz wifi to be in-between these, so either 4 or 12 to reduce overlap.

Speaking with support and going back and forth for over a month, being told to uninstall and reinstall drivers / icue multiple times, when the issue is connectivity related, and this information not coming up once is pretty annoying. I know its most likely just scripts and copy paste information, until you just tell users to send the thing back, but for a company selling wireless products, surely this information should come up in support when discussing connectivity issues.

The information about the channels and frequency the dongle operates on is tedious to find as well, and I'm lucky I had a friend who knew where to go to find it. Hopefully Corsair can make this kind of information more easily accessible whether in FAQ's or at the very least bring it up as an option to check in support requests, instead of telling users to constantly uninstall and reinstall drivers, icue, or just troubleshoot sound problems in windows.

• Like 1

• Corsair Employees

Hi Dullahan

I am glad you were able to adjust your wifi setting and resolve your issue.

I am going to send this information out technical support team, we appreciate your feed back

• 5 weeks later...

I apologize for responding to this post from April to May now but I can confirm that headset indeed interfered with Wi-Fi router as well. I've factory reset my router to set it up once again, resetting HS80 headset seem to have fixed it for now. When I received the HS80 headset in white finish in April, it was working fine until just recently where sound started to cut out as you experienced. I wonder if Corsair could release the firmware update that fixes the interference issue between HS80 and the router? Anyway, thanks for this post!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 6:33 PM, AkaliA said:

I apologize for responding to this post from April to May now but I can confirm that headset indeed interfered with Wi-Fi router as well. I've factory reset my router to set it up once again, resetting HS80 headset seem to have fixed it for now. When I received the HS80 headset in white finish in April, it was working fine until just recently where sound started to cut out as you experienced. I wonder if Corsair could release the firmware update that fixes the interference issue between HS80 and the router? Anyway, thanks for this post!

I spent hours trying to fix the problem, including:

Moving modem/router away from dongle
ensuring clear site between dongle and headset
Soft reset of headset
Updating dongle and headset w/ iCUE
Uninstalling iCue / Reinstalling iCue
Using USB 2.0 and 3.0 slots
Ensuring USB selective suspend is set to disabled in power options

Moving dongle closer to my sitting position
Changing settings in my router to use different wireless bands 
Re-pairing the dongle to the headset
Upgrading from Ryzen 2600 to Intel 12600 (including a new motherboard) - I was planning to do this anyways, only noting it as it was basically a totally different platform afterwards that exhibited the same problem
Trying USB slots on both the case and direct into the motherboard
Deleting the 'composite virtual input device' driver from device manager and repairing icue (per Corsair's suggestion)

Nothing worked. I reached out to Corsair and they had me send it back via RMA - however the refurbished on they sent back to me had the exact same problem. 

I suspect it's a hardware issue, perhaps it doesn't like working close to my wireless mouse and keyboard - who knows? Regardless, my last wireless Logitech headset worked without issue - I think when I inevitably have to purchase a new one (as the audio drop-outs slowly drive me mad) I'll go that route again. Bummer! The mic on this is great, and it's comfortable as heck - but it fails at the very basic function (for me) of being a wireless headset. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 10:18 PM, OldManGamer said:

I spent hours trying to fix the problem, including:

Moving modem/router away from dongle
ensuring clear site between dongle and headset
Soft reset of headset
Updating dongle and headset w/ iCUE
Uninstalling iCue / Reinstalling iCue
Using USB 2.0 and 3.0 slots
Ensuring USB selective suspend is set to disabled in power options

Moving dongle closer to my sitting position
Changing settings in my router to use different wireless bands 
Re-pairing the dongle to the headset
Upgrading from Ryzen 2600 to Intel 12600 (including a new motherboard) - I was planning to do this anyways, only noting it as it was basically a totally different platform afterwards that exhibited the same problem
Trying USB slots on both the case and direct into the motherboard
Deleting the 'composite virtual input device' driver from device manager and repairing icue (per Corsair's suggestion)

Nothing worked. I reached out to Corsair and they had me send it back via RMA - however the refurbished on they sent back to me had the exact same problem. 

I suspect it's a hardware issue, perhaps it doesn't like working close to my wireless mouse and keyboard - who knows? Regardless, my last wireless Logitech headset worked without issue - I think when I inevitably have to purchase a new one (as the audio drop-outs slowly drive me mad) I'll go that route again. Bummer! The mic on this is great, and it's comfortable as heck - but it fails at the very basic function (for me) of being a wireless headset. 

Yeah.. I just received replacement HS80 via RMA and I am having same issue as first one. I don't think they should be releasing product that doesn't work as "wireless" when sound keeps on cutting off. I don't know how their refund policy is, I cannot use this product and I will not recommend this to anyone. This got to be their worst headset ever released. I'll have to invest in other branded wireless headset that actually works flawlessly. What a shame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 12:19 PM, OldManGamer said:

Pretty disappointing isn't it 

Oh.. yeah it definitely is. I'm trying to reach out to Corsair CS and first guy completely gave up on me. All I did was demanding them to refund me money for this headset that doesn't even work out of box both original and RMA one. What a terrible product.