Corsair Community

Semi warm temps + white layer on tank.

Hi all,

I started the watercooling jurney not too long ago and I am already debating if it was worth the money and time.

I had a single loop system, radiator 360x2, watertank, GPU and CPU. I found the temps was not really as good as I wanted or like my closed IO so I decided to add a second tank and seperate the CPU and GPU so they are running their own closed loop. 

With the setup one 360 radiator, pump, CPU
And another loop for GPU another 360 radiator, pump I am getting these temps

CPU loop gets to around 65c on the CPU. Water temps are 39C

GPU loop is at water temp 40c and the GPU temps are 68C

This is under load. I have all fans on MAX full RPM at all times when I am gaming and these are the temps. I think its a little high as my friends are having a close loop IO with 50something that is 2x cheaper. 

I have 10 fans in the 5000D. Front and side front is Pull air in.
Top 3 is Push air out.

1 is in the back that is push air out.

Is this normal temps in a room that is around 24C?

Also there is this white strips on the tanks and I am also wondering what this might be. I try and insert a link to my photos but it just gets highlighted red so adding below.

https://ibb.co/7vscCTH
https://ibb.co/w6wpwtZ

I think you need to flip the side wall GPU radiator fans to exhaust and blow that waste heat out.  A +16C coolant to ambient delta is high, but if you look at the interior ambient temperature, it is going to be near 40C.  For general discussion purposes, liquid temp will equal exhaust air temp from the radiator.  So if the GPU liquid temp is 40C, then you are dumping a lot of 40C air into the case which then becomes the baseline for the CPU loop since it wholly resides in a ~40C environment up top while breathing in the GPU waste flow.  Either both radiators should be intake (with good exhaust capabilities) or both used as exhaust.  In  dual radiator set-up in this type of case, I think you are better off as exhaust.  Your have plenty of good intake air options.  Also, flipping those three fans around is probably easier than any of the other possibilities that would require loop re-design or moving hardware around.  

With the side now exhaust, the rear fan's role is not as clear.  You could flip it to intake to help supplement the rear portion of the top.  You could remove it entirely as the top fans will draw air in from the opening.  You likely do not need a lot of speed on that and it's mostly likely to create a lot of air turbulence in the middle of the case.  That may not help general airflow.  

The 'white scale' on the XD5 reservoir is something I don't have an answer for.  I have two that also permanently exhibit that.  I get really tired of taking it apart to try and scrub the reservoir every 2 months.  Go easy on the RGB intensity on the XD5 to help downplay the less than clear nature.  

Edited by c-attack

(c-attack answered while i was typing but WTH, i post as is.. 😛 )

The answer will depend on a lot of things.

what CPU/GPU are those? overclocked?, what speed do the pumps run at?

The motherboard reads LGA1151 so i imagine at worst that's a 9900K. The temperature will mostly depend on what Vcore it runs on, more than loop setup. So your friend, if he has the same CPU, may not have the same motherboard, with the same settings. an AIO with the Intel power limits enforced will run pretty cool. On your custom loop, with Asus multicore enhancement probably enabled by default, you'll have those higher temps (but also higher clocks and power draw).

For the GPU on the other hand, almost 30° between water and GPU temp is huge. Make sure your pump runs fast enough, like 60+ % PWM. If the flow is too low, the GPU temp will go up quite substantially. the XG7 blocks aren't top performers but that's still somewhat high.

Another thing that matters is where your PC is located. if it's in the corner of the room it will recirculate warm air and everything will run warmer.

About the dual loop, in this instance, it could do more harm than good. The CPU doesn't need a lot of cooling, but the GPU does. So you have wasted overhead on the CPU loop, but may be lacking radiator space on the GPU loop (depending on what GPU it is). It will work, but i am ready to bet you'll have better temps with a single loop, when using only two rads.

Another way to improve is to avoid having one radiator dumping heat into the other. Here the GPU rad dumps hot air in the case, which warms up the CPU rad.

You could set the side rad as exhaust for example, so both radiators only get fresh air from the front fans. Also remember to remove the filters over fans running as exhaust. they only block air flow, and do nothing for dust protection in that setup.

What i would try, personally, would be :

-flip those side fans as exhaust, remove the side dust filter (and the top filter if it's still present) and set a single loop, like Pump > GPU > CPU > top rad > side rad > Reservoir. 

- Set the pump speed somewhere around 60 - 70%. Fixed speed is fine

-Set the fans to taste, but the control variable should be water temperature. Maybe as a test, leave them at full speed to see what the loop is capable of achieving. then set a fan curve to have reasonable temps without blasting your ears.

Both C-Attack and LeDoyen hit it on the head but i wanted to chime in too. You really shouldn't need to Pump/RES combos to achieve your temp goals but since you have them, nothing wrong with it.

I run a 10900K with a 3090 Kingpin Hydro Copper on the same loop in a O11 Dynamic XL. I have two 360 RA's as well, one up top and the on the side. On the top one i have QL fans pushing as exhaust, pretty normal. On the side however, i removed 3 of my QL fans that were pulling air in left it bare and mounted my XD5 there. On the backside of that RAD i switched to some non RGB ML120 fans (2,400 RPM's the ML can achieve helps) (its on the back side so you cant see them anyway) to push cool air in.

My GPU temp at idle is 19-20c, CPU is 23-24c at idle. Now it depends on what i am doing to determine my temps at load. Regular gaming, WWZ, CoD, Back 4 Blood etc CPU temps are 38-42c. GPU temps range from 30-42c.

Benchmarking, R20 for ex, My CPU hits 56-59c. On say Heaven 4.0, My GPU hits 45-47c - these are stock clocks.

I also want to point out i use custom profiles in iCue that i change on the fly by pressing a key. I have one for surfing, gaming & Benchmarking. Gaming and Benchmarking have more aggressive fan curves and pump speeds.

And then finally, you might take a look at your VCORE. as C-Attack stated, you might need to look at that. While running R20 i had HWINFO open to see how much voltage i was pulling. Once done with that i gamed for a bit while leaving it open to see what my max vcore was and to my surprise at one point i pulled 1.3xxv, way to high for gaming. On R20 i was pulling 1.225v.

Went into the BIOS to adjust my voltage (took time to "dial" it in between benching and gaming to see if i got any BSOD's) I settled on 1.200v and with this setting is how i achieve my temps on a MSI MEG Z490 ACE MB. No crashes, BSOD's or issues of any kind. I did do any AVX benching as i have no need for that crap lol, besides its not real world scenario for me as all i do is game and surf the interwebs.

If you have any questions let me know.

Edited by NotoriouS1626866422

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Thanks for the great feedback and information.

I took out one of the pumps.
I turned the back fan to intake.
I turned the radiator on the backside to pull out.

I moved the loop order to Pump<GPU<CPU<radiator<radiator<pump.

Just these steppes alone made a big difference. 

CPU temps are still 50-60C but that aint bad.
GPU reduced to 45-55

liquid never goes above 34

This is all under load temps and nothing changed much. I dont overclock and leave all stock as I really dont have time to sit and tweek it. Now my pc is not a heater that only blows out hot air 😄

Thanks to all of you for the replies and good advice.

glad it worked out ^^

For the CPU temps, they are pretty good. CPUs always run hotter because the chips themselves are very different from GPUs. It's a lot of focused heat, and the dies themselves are smaller than the huge GPU chips.

CPU temp mostly depends on Vcore, more than from the cooling block type or radiator setup.

As you saw, the biggest gains were on the GPU side, precisely for that reason