Corsair Community

ASUS Prime Z590 Plus and Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz settings

I see in the motherboard BIOS that I can up the DRAM frequency to 3200 from the default/auto setting of 2133. Do I need to modify any of the other DRAM settings to insure proper operation? The specs for the DRAM say tested at 1.35 volts, does that imply using that setting? What about timings. The CPU (Intel i7-11700K) is not overclocked.

If your RAM kit is “XMP 3200”, then activating the XMP preset will alter frequency, DIMM voltage, primary and some secondary timings for 3200 MHz. That’s certainly the place to start. 

If XMP is for a different frequency but you want to try 3200, then you need to set it manually. 3200 MHz, 1.35v, and at least the 3/4 primary timings. We would need to know your exact kit to make an estimate on the primary timings. 

In either case, VCCIO and SA voltages are not set by XMP and are important. Most motherboards are pretty aggressive with these values and unlike most other settings, more voltage is not always more stable but warmer. More can be worse in every respect. At 3200, you should be safe to let the board auto select. After you boot up use any monitoring program to see what is being supplied and take note. 

All you need to do is enable XMP in the bios. If you are in the “E-Z BIOS” mode, it should be easily spotted. If in the Advanced BIOS, it’s at the top of the AI Tuner/Tweaker column and it’s part of the auto/manual/XMP tuning toggle. On Asus boards, XMP is it’s own tuning mode, so if you have made specific tweaks to CPU frequency, voltage, or other settings in that column, you will need to set them again in “XMP mode”. 

Edited by c-attack

In the ASUS BIOS, under the Ai Tweaker settings there are two XMP selections:

XMPI: Load the DIMM's default XMP memory timings (CL, TRCD, TRP, TRAS) with BCLK frequency and other memory parameters optimized by Asus.

XMPII: Load the DIMM's complete default XMP profile.

I've selected XMPI. Seemed perhaps to be the safest option.

Very little difference except XMP II would also include some tREFI and tFAW related secondary timings.  It is a minor difference and those settings typically have very wide viable range.  They are not the ones that crash you.