Corsair Community

bad twin3200xlpt module?

hey guys!

i am a first time builder but after reading a lot of posts i think i am up to speed.

I just got my new rig and after a few days of BSOD hell, I think i have some of the kinks worked out. however, one of my 512 modules will not pass memtest with 2.2.2.5 It gives thousands of errors in test 5. The board defaults to 2.3.2.5 and that fails too. I had to set it to 2.3.3.5 to get the one module to pass alone. it still wont work in 2.3.3.5 with both modules (fails in test 8). the other module passed at 2.2.2.5 for a couple of hours, and has not given any bsods for a while. I tried bumping vdimm up to 2.8 to see if that changed anything, but it didnt. I get bsod's at random times when the bad module is installed. Tried switching them around. flashed bios. what next? do i have to send in both modules for rma?

thx,

Russ

My Box:

Athlon64 3200+ venice

DFI lanparty sli-dr (3/10 alpha bios)

twin3200xlpt 512's

ocz modstream 520w psu

chaintech 6600gt

wd raptor

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-3200XL

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Enabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 5X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: Startup

CPU VID Control: Auto

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.6

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.8

PC Health Status: Please make sure that all temp is at 25C

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

hey ram guy,

the only difference between your settings and mine is I had auto settings for CPC and ldt/fsb freq ratio, and the .1 bumps in voltages. Everything else is the same as i was using. After making those changes, the only difference is that i get even more errors in test 5. I ran the 'good' module last night w/ my old settings and got 33 passes, no errors. This morning i switched to your settings and it still passes. Every time I try the 'bad' module I get 3000+ errors on every pass, always in test 5. your settings bumped it to 4000+. As i said above I can only get that module to work at 2.3.3.5, which i tried b/c it was suggested in a newegg review of this ram. I am using the only bios available from the dfi website, which is reccomended by nearly all of the posts at their support forum. Thanks for your help.

Russ

bump

I don't know what else to do except request rma. I have been working my system hard with the one 512 stick. As soon as I switch or add the second stick, memtest errors and bsods. The one module works fine at 2-2-2-5 with voltages of 2.7 and 1.5, so i don't want to have to crank my vdimm up to 3 and turn my box into a toaster just to get the second module to work. Is there anything else i can try?

Russ

• 2 months later...

ok now I'm confused...

After a few months of waiting for a good time to send both of my modules in, I came back from vacation and had a (new?) pair in the mail. However, the situation is exactly the same. One module works perfectly and the other one causes massive failures in memtest when used alone or in any dual channel configuration. I tried all of the same measures that we discussed earlier and again these had no effect. The only thing that has changed is that now the failures happen in test 4 rather than 5. Did you guys test the ram that I rma'd? What was the conclusion? Is this ram just not compatible with my system?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ram Guy,

I RMA'd my ram again and now I have a pair that both pass memtest by themselves. However, the dual channel configurations are still giving me some errors. Only about 50 errors per pass though, as opposed to the thousands before. My windows works great with both modules in, I haven't gotten any bsods, and only one lock-up. Are there any tweaks I can do to my bios to help the dual-channel config pass memtest? I kicked vdimm up to 2.9, but that didn't change anything. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

Yes!

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

And you will need to get the bios for Samsung memory IC's

Archived