Corsair Community

no workie 512+512+512+512, Asus A8V-E, 3200C2P2

eean

I ordered two 512 sticks of the Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2P2, to add to the exact same that I have already installed in my computer (so 512+512+512+512, 2 gigs total is the plan). Its an Asus A8V-E Deluxe motherboard.

Installed the new RAM. It boots fine into the Grub bootloader, however booting stops when it recieves a CRC checksum error when unpacking the Linux kernel. Reboot, happens again. I also notice that it reports different amounts of memory during the BIOS memory check, sometimes 2, sometimes 1.5 and sometimes one 1 gig of memory is reported (all without me touching the memory). Something is amiss. What do I need to do?

Currently I have it booted up using just the new RAM and its working fine ('old' RAM worked fine as well), so there's nothing wrong with the RAM itself I wouldn't think.

• Corsair Employees

Please put the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&4; make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB; load optimized/set up default, and set the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200C2PT

Advanced CPU/Memory Configuration:

Memclock Mode: Limit

Memclock Value: 1:1 (DDR400)

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

2T Command Rate: 2T

Advanced CPU/Hypertransport

Hypertransport: 5X

Jumper Free/Frequency Voltage Control:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.75 Volts

All other settings should be set to default settings!Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let's make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Please put the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&4; make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB; load optimized/set up default, and set the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200C2PT

Advanced CPU/Memory Configuration:

Memclock Mode: Limit

Memclock Value: 1:1 (DDR400)

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

2T Command Rate: 2T

Advanced CPU/Hypertransport

Hypertransport: 5X

Jumper Free/Frequency Voltage Control:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.75 Volts

All other settings should be set to default settings!Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let's make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I don't understand. You say "the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&4". But I have 4 modules, so what does "the memory modules" mean?. And just to confound things you say to test them one at a time. :D

I have ran the memcheck86+ on the 2 new RAM sticks for ~9 hours with no errors. The 'old' ones probably went through something similar during the burnin from Monarch when I got the computer about a month ago.

To Wired:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD

cpu family : 15

model : 15

model name : AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+

stepping : 0

cpu MHz : 2400.120

cache size : 512 KB

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 1

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 pni syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow

bogomips : 4702.20

TLB size : 1024 4K pages

clflush size : 64

cache_alignment : 64

address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management: ts fid vid ttp

I guess this means I don't have Venice, since I don't see sse3.

I tried to adapt my settings to those RAM Guy listed. Most of them were already set that way. I changed "SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS)" from 6t to 7t. I couldn't find Hypertransport. Anyways, I didn't appear to have changed anything. I tried putting in the additional sticks and it worked the same.

Hmm, I guess Corsair's online documentation lives in some sort of dream world. Basically from what it sounds like its impossible to get RAM for sure that works to add to an existing system. Anyways, I'll turn off the computer and see what revision and version my new RAM is. The old RAM is:

part # 0513031-0, version # 1.5

How do I clock it to 333mhz? Like I said I already attempted to set it to the BIOS settings you gave w/o success really.

• Corsair Employees
Well I am sorry, but its not suggested mixing memory. As most MB's now just will not tolerate slight differences in modules? And we have always suggested just one set of Twinx modules. If you really need 2.0 Gig of memory it would be best to find another use for the modules you have now and get a Twinx2048-3200C2 set of modules for best performance. Or you would need to match the modules part# and revision that you have. Sorry!

Archived