Corsair Community

Help with corsair ram

genesis1

I purchased some corsair ddr4 3000mhz ram a kit of 4x16gb total 64gb. I have installed it on a ga x99 ud4 motherboard with i7 5820k cpu. When I enable xmp I still only get the 2400 setting in profile1.

Gigabyte told me the motherboard is compatible with 3000mhz but no higher so I thought the xmp setting would be higher.

Am I missing something. Does the cpu only support 2400 xmp and no more??

the CPU itself doesn't support more than 2133 without XMP. From what i red, people tend to manage to make it work without manual overclock up to 2400 - 2666. Past that it seems to be hit and miss.

Been a while i haven't seen a Haswell CPU, but it's 99.9% sure to be a CPU limitation, and not a RAM problem. the memory controller just doesn't go as fast as the later CPUS. you have actually one of the first CPUs to support DDR4.

Are there two XMP profiles on that kit?  If it’s a 3000 MHz kit, there should be a 3000 XMP preset. That’s also all XMP is — a preset with frequency/voltage, primary timings, and a few secondary. I would think 64GB at 3000 would be possible, but it may take some manual tweaking on your end. 

First, X99 was the first DDR4 board and thus some things were difficult. It took a while for the BIOS to mature. Make sure you are on a late version.

Second, there weren’t too many 16GB module at the time. I am not sure how the board will react. You likely will need to carefully manipulate VCCIO and System Agent (SA) voltages. XMP settings do not modify those values and the motherboard uses a table of frequency and capacity to set what it thinks you need. Most of those tables fall to pieces at higher frequency and capacity. This is an example of more voltage is not more stable and the value that works is going to be unique to your RAM, motherboard, and especially your CPU lottery. 

Third, 3000 was a funny speed on X99. Most boards forced the 125 strap on for that frequency. That alters your cpu clocks as well and drove me batty at the time. I deliberately pushed on to 3200 so I could keep the 100 base clock and finer control. However, I was using a much smaller RAM capacity and it was single sided for sure. Easier in every respect, so going up may not be an option. 3200 was pretty much the limit for those without good hardware samples, ample memory clocking skill, and considerable patience. 

Edited by c-attack

Originally I had 4x4gb 16gb total ddr ram, and I'm sure on the previous bios version there were 2 xmp settings for that. Since then, I have updated the bios to the latest available. However after installing  this new ram 3000mhz, xmp only shows 1 profile which is 2400.

When I bought it I only checked with gigabyte about compatibility and they replied 3200 was the limit. So when I saw some 3000mhz 64gb I snapped it up thinking xmp would be 3000.

I currently have xmp turned on which only has 2400. Seems to ge working OK. One thing I have noticed is when rendering out a video sequence from after effects, the cpu fan seems to be cranked up faster than it was when it was running on 4x4gb (16gb).

Any reason for this?

7 hours ago, genesis1 said:

Yes I noticed it has increased the bulk to 125. Seems to run OK but wondering if this will harm cpu with increased voltage long term??

No, but if you’ve manually set other cpu properties this can mess you up unless you make adjustments. Way back when, the 125 strap was preventing some other functions from working correctly, like speed step and a few other items linked to BCLK. These days I would hope this is not an issue, so it’s more about the more granular control at 100 BCLK. 

17 hours ago, c-attack said:

No, but if you’ve manually set other cpu properties this can mess you up unless you make adjustments. Way back when, the 125 strap was preventing some other functions from working correctly, like speed step and a few other items linked to BCLK. These days I would hope this is not an issue, so it’s more about the more granular control at 100 BCLK. 

No, I only have my cpu on default settings. I did overclock in the past to 4.2 with air-cooled but I found little benefit so switched back to standard. The only thing that messed up was another hdd that had win7 pro on. It would boot to desktop then after a few seconds lock up. I tracked it down to be a gigabyte unknown service loading. Maybe just coincidence but strange, as it had been working fine before ram upgrade.

Then I would not worry about the 125 BCLK too much and it is likely still needed for 3000. 

So you likely need to set 3000 manually, the 4 primary timings from the box, the 1.35(?) suggested voltage for 3000, and then something for VCCIO and SA. It’s those last two that will be tricky and also the key values.  I need to go look around for what others use for 4x16 on X99. This will not be a brand specific value, so any one else using 4x16 is a place to start. The board will auto fill all other values. 

Edited by c-attack