Corsair Community

XD5 Pump w/2 60mm rads

Is running a XD5 pump/res with: 2x360 (60mm) rads, XD7 cpu, 3080Ti block causing my issue? Got my build done finally and noticed I'm having trouble keeping the XC7 full. It's been almost a week now. I can get it to fill by removing the #6fan port, but after about 6-8 hours its back again. The pump is almost at full as well. 

Thanks,

Do you mean the water level in the reservoir keeps dropping?  This is relatively normal when you first put a loop together.  You have large pockets of air in the various corners and over time they release and work their way back to the reservoir or any other place with space.  This could happen to any CPU block as well, particularly if it is a the local high point in the loop.

What you likely need to do is fill up the reservoir, caps on tight, and then tip the case in each of the 4 general directions.  You'll probably hear the bubbles release.  At each point.  Once you stop hearing them, move on to a different tilt.  Based on the loop design, tilting one specific way first is usually the best 1st move, which then allows the trapped air to get out of its corner.  The subsequent tilts work it toward the reservoir.  This is best done with the pump set to maximum in CUE or with the D5 tachometer wire removed from the PWM control ensuring 100%.  You may be more comfortable doing this with the 24 pin jumper on to limit power to the board and GPU and it works just fine in that state.  **Never plug the XD5 tach wire back to fan control while the system is powered on.  Too many XD5s have lost their speed control that way.   

Edited by c-attack
Usual Apple predictive text errors

you may want to also create your own speed curve for the pump. By default ,the hydroX thingie will make it run pretty slow (you may see the GPU run hot sometimes, because the pump is way too slow).

After filling the loop, and doing all the mandatory case tilting C detailed, you can leave the pump at 100% for a few hours to help get all the remaining little pockets of air in the reservoir

Thanks for feedback. I did the back, forth, and side to side and ran it 100% speed. Got it fill cpu block for most the day and now it's starting to drop down again. 

Speaking of pump setting in icue, can I just set it to extreme? Even with that on its not running at the full 100% but with this 5950x it does tend to get a bit high from time to time.

don't use the presets, they are thrash for that 🙂 

Create a custom curve instead so you can select the lowest and highest speed you desire.

50%-ish is a good start for lowest speed, and with two 60mm rads, which aren't too restrictive, you shouldn't need to run the pump too fast when the system is warm. somewhere between 70-80% could be more than enough.

Fixed speed is fine too.

Flow doesn't influence temperature in any meaningful manner unless it's way too slow, which is what the default presets tend to do.

the loop may need a few days to get totally air-free. there's tiny bubbles everywhere when you fill it up, so it's possible that's what you see accumulating in the XC7. If you have (had?) a vertical GPU, it would do the same.

Agreed, no presets for the pump.  Make your own curve.  Even fixed RPM or PWM % is fine and may be preferable.  Most D5 units have a funny zone somewhere between 50-70% where they resonate.  You can toggle between a low 2000-3000 rpm speed that you should not be able to hear and a 80-100% setting when you know you are going game, render, encode, or any type of sustained activity.  The alternative is to make the custom curve and have it take a large speed leap at 5C over your normal idle coolant temp.  If by some luck you have the D5 that is quiet all the way through, you can set a gradual curve.  Small changes in pump speed do not affect component temperature, except when at very low speeds.  

D5 units don't have a lot of low end push, so 2000 rpm will never fill things up.  However, at maximum its pretty high.  Make sure you are set to 100% or remove the PWM/tach wire prior to trying to flush out the bubbles.