Corsair Community

h150i elite capellix wiring question (cpu fan speed error detection)

Hi,

I have a custom build using ASUS TUF Gaming D4 PLUS WiFi motherboard. a i9-12900k processor , a corsair 7000x tower +  H150i AIO cooler.

It's a custom build that a store built for me upon my request. I had some issues of random shut downs since I have bought it so I updated to latest BIOS to see if it fixes the issue, so far so good.

When I updated the BIOS, I was got a message afterwards : CPU FAN SPEED ERROR DETECTION PRESS F1 FOR SETUP.

So I have set to ignore the detection for CPU FAN since I am using an AIO cooler, which btw I also see in the monitor section of the BIOS. My computer now boots correctly without this message.

I just want to make sure I have done things correctly and I'm not putting my CPU at risk. When I look at the motherboard, I see that a wire comes from the AIO cooler and is plugged into 3 pins of 4 pins available labeled AIO Pump. This feels right. I also see another 4 pins labeled CPU FAN which doesn't have anything plugged in.

I don't know much about hardware assembling but I assume that the wiring was done correctly.

Do I need to do something else in the BIOS to tell the CPU FAN to be feeded with the AIO Pump instead or setting it to ignore is ok?

I currently see N/A for the CPU FAN in the BIOS.

Thank you in advance

Just as a follow up on this, I have chatted with ASUS support and they basically told me setting the CPU FAN to ignore was the way to go.

I also got the same answer from the shop I have bought the computer from. In any case, If my computer keeps shutting down on me like that after that bios update, I'll simply bring it to the shop for an official diagnostic as I've went as far as I can humanly can with this.

• Corsair Employees

There should be a tachometer cable from the cooler pump head that you plug into the CPU_FAN header that gives an RPM reading from the pump to the system to let the system know that a cooler is attached and cooling the system.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Corsair Notepad said:

There should be a tachometer cable from the cooler pump head that you plug into the CPU_FAN header that gives an RPM reading from the pump to the system to let the system know that a cooler is attached and cooling the system.

Hi, I only see 2 cables coming from the cooler pump. One is a gray one that is linked to a rectangular corsair box that is on the side of my 7000x case which I believe came with the case. The other is a thinner cable that is plugged in the AIO PUMP header of my motherboard.

Are you suggesting that I should plug the thinner cable in the CPU FAN header instead of AIO PUMP header on my motherboard?

Edited by ElbanNinja

• Corsair Employees
1 hour ago, ElbanNinja said:

Hi, I only see 2 cables coming from the cooler pump. One is a gray one that is linked to a rectangular corsair box that is on the side of my 7000x case which I believe came with the case. The other is a thinner cable that is plugged in the AIO PUMP header of my motherboard.

Are you suggesting that I should plug the thinner cable in the CPU FAN header instead of AIO PUMP header on my motherboard?

That would be correct. That single wire that terminates to what looks like a 3-pin fan header should be plugged into your CPU_Fan header on the motherboard. The AIO Pump headers is intended for use with AIOs that pull power from the fan headers and need a constant 12v. Your AIO is provided power through the cable that goes to the Commander Core which is plugged into a SATA power cable from your PSU. That single cable is the tach cable.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Corsair Notepad said:

That would be correct. That single wire that terminates to what looks like a 3-pin fan header should be plugged into your CPU_Fan header on the motherboard. The AIO Pump headers is intended for use with AIOs that pull power from the fan headers and need a constant 12v. Your AIO is provided power through the cable that goes to the Commander Core which is plugged into a SATA power cable from your PSU. That single cable is the tach cable.

Ok thank you, I have plugged it in the CPU_FAN header. I'm a little bit shocked that it was plugged in the AIO Pump instead. The shop where I've bought it should have known this and it's a big place too, Canada Computers... 

I have reenabled CPU fan monitoring and i see 2200 RPM. The default low limit warning is set to 200 RPM, should I raise this to an higher value in the BIOS since it thinks this is a standard CPU Fan?

Is the way they've done it (plugging it in the AIO PUMP instead) dangerous long term? Would'nt this lead to overvolting the pump since it's already being fed by the PSU? Could this explain why I was getting some random computer instant power shut down?

Edited by ElbanNinja