Corsair Community

M65 RGB Ultra Wired sniper button issues after latest firmware update

The mouse was working great out of the box, but after installing iCue and updating the firmware, the sniper button behaves very differently. It's hard to describe, but it's as if it takes longer to "release" after I let go, and the cursor noticeably gradually accelerates back to the original DPI setting. It gives the button a really floaty feeling, that it doesn't instantly snap my DPI down to 400 and back up to 3,200.

I tried completely removing iCue and rebooting, uninstalling drivers in the device manager and rebooting, changing the polling rate, toggling some settings in the Device Settings tab, but it seems like now I'm stuck with this issue. I like the use of the sniper button and use it frequently, but now it's completely ruined for me.

Hopefully the problem makes sense and I can get it fixed - after going through four M65 Pro and Elites over the years due to the switches, I have high hopes for the Ultra and really don't want to return it already.

What cue version are you running?  This was a software version specific issue a few releases back, but I thought it had been resolved. 

8 hours ago, c-attack said:

What cue version are you running?  This was a software version specific issue a few releases back, but I thought it had been resolved. 

I'm using v4.22.203 right now, and the mouse has firmware version 1.13.33 installed now. I don't remember what it came with out of the box, though.

This is slightly different than the prior issue where the sniper function would become locked on the lower DPI shift after holding down the button for ~5 seconds or more.  I just tried to recreate this with a M65 and Nightsword and I can't replicate it.  It's snapping down and back up instantly.

Try running a repair install from the Windows Apps menu.  Select Corsair iCUE and then "modify" from the drop down menu.  This usually clears up weird issues like this and generally bad mouse button interactions are CUE/OS issue.  

As mentioned in the OP, I've tried completely reinstalling iCUE, but I also just tried the repair option as well. Still same issue, I think it might be firmware related since it only happened after updating the mouse firmware within iCUE. That's the only thing I can think of.

Except the firmware update has been out a while and you are the only one reporting this. That makes a universal firmware source error highly unlikely. However, you can try force updating it again in case you had a bad load last time. Go to device settings for the mouse and “check for update”, “none”, then force update. Make sure you are directly connected to the PC (no KVM switches or hubs) and close down any other peripheral or RGB programs that might try and access the mouse when CUE lets go during the firmware load. 

Another possibility is a physical issue with the button. If you’ve had a couple M65s before this you likely noticed the Ultra’s sniper is a bit different and slightly trigger happy. I don’t think it would take much for the button to get stuck in. It does seem like the ‘slow to release’ description could match that. 

Thanks for letting me know how to reflash the firmware, alas it didn't do anything noticeable. I wasn't sure how new the firmware was, so I just wanted to bring it up anyway.

Yeah, that may be the case (the button/switch itself), as I plugged in my M65 Elite and tried them side by side and it has a completely different feeling, despite the same iCUE running. It's really a shame because it feels unresponsive comparatively.

Also, I am also noticing sometimes the switches get 'stuck' even for the left and right click that it still holds until I press it again. I read that some iCUE versions would lock the button if you hold it for 5 or so seconds, but I can't replicate it. It just... sometimes does it. Could be a quirk of the optical switches, not sure - I've never used optical switches before in a mouse so all I can do is guess.

Starting to think my better option would be just replacing the switches on an Elite with superior quality ones and being done with it. 😔 The upper removeable housing on the older model M65's also used to deform, meaning they don't actuate the switches consistently which I see they changed on the Ultra, but on my Elite I've remolded some plastic to resolve that issue. 

Honestly really disheartening, but I'll give it a few more days and see if I can tinker with the Ultra a bit in software and try to force myself to get used to it, but if the switches are just naturally grabby or I got a bum unit that has issues, maybe the best option would be to return it and frankenstein an Elite.

Open to any suggestions in the meantime, and I appreciate you working with me to figure it out.

Yeah, the 5 second hold thing was software related and solved as far as I know. However, if the left/right clicks don’t feel right either, that is worrisome. There some early physical issues with that mouse and that is typically what was described. I’d be tempted to swap the whole thing with the vendor if there are multiple button issues. You also can contact Corsair Support and do the same. 

Edited by c-attack