Corsair Community

iCUE detecting Lighting Node Pro, but not detecting connected RGB Hub or 6× LL120 fans

Hello all

Been troubleshooting this for a while now. Unfortunately, it seems that iCUE has decided that the RGB Hub and LL120 fans are no longer compatible with its software, exclusively for me.

My current install path is: 6×LL120 -> Corsair RGB Hub -> Lighting Node Pro -> Motherboard via USB. All are fully connected to SATA power and separate fan power hubs.

All fans turn on immediately upon startup, but are locked into a red color with the exception of Fan#1 being partially green. Otherwise all fans are fully lit up but red.

In iCUE I can manually set the hardware device to a LL120 fan, but I am unable to set it to a RGB Hub. Likewise, no changes can be made to the LL120 fans.

Can someone provide any insight to this issue for me? I've scraped the barrel here and found nothing but dust and dead potato bugs.

Edit: so cutting power to the RGB Hub does disable all lighting. So it is doing something. Somehow, however, iCUE or the Node Pro are not operating correctly and are cutting the connection between the Hub and the software control. If only I could just directly connect the RGB Hub to the Mobo...

Edit2: apparently iCUE can't even tell how many fans my GPU has lol. It says 2 but I have 3. Also, apparently one of my case fans (because it's detecting them through the Mobo, but only 5 of them) is rotating at 65280RPM. Didn't realize I was running a literal jet engine in my PC.

Honestly, I'm borderline ready to just say that iCUE is a garbage piece of software and run my case fans with no RGB. Saying "******** it" to the colors.

The garbage readings from motherboard sensors is a well-known and well-documented issue. You can be angry at iCUE for that all you want but it's more to do with the way that these values are published and presented to the system. This can be exacerbated, specifically, by running multiple monitoring tools. I know that this might come as a surprise but there isn't a standard for how this is done by the various manufacturers nor is there a common API.

As for the fans - iCUE won't detect fans on the RGB Fan LED Hub. You need to set the channel up for them in the Lighting Configuration. The RGB Fan LED Hub, however, doesn't do anything except provide power and signal. Unless, that is, you are talking about a Lighting Node Core, which is sometimes (unhelpfully) labelled as an RGB Hub. If you can show us your iCUE configuration screens, perhaps we can provide a bit more detailed guidance.

2 hours ago, DevBiker said:

The garbage readings from motherboard sensors is a well-known and well-documented issue. You can be angry at iCUE for that all you want but it's more to do with the way that these values are published and presented to the system. This can be exacerbated, specifically, by running multiple monitoring tools. I know that this might come as a surprise but there isn't a standard for how this is done by the various manufacturers nor is there a common API.

As for the fans - iCUE won't detect fans on the RGB Fan LED Hub. You need to set the channel up for them in the Lighting Configuration. The RGB Fan LED Hub, however, doesn't do anything except provide power and signal. Unless, that is, you are talking about a Lighting Node Core, which is sometimes (unhelpfully) labelled as an RGB Hub. If you can show us your iCUE configuration screens, perhaps we can provide a bit more detailed guidance.

Hello,

I don't know which screens you're looking for, so here's an Imgur Gallery of the 3 I considered important: https://imgur.com/a/gHBWEME

I believe this is a RGB Hub as this came with a 3-pack box of LL120 fans. Please note that changing any settings after manually setting the fan-type under "Setup Lighting Channel 1" to LL120, no change I make effects any difference on the fans. They remain in the same color configuration. My MOBO is an Asus X570, but I do not have either Aura Sync or Armoury Crate installed.

Thank you!

1) Yes, that's the RGB Fan LED Hub. Make sure that it's connected to Lighting Channel 1 on the LNP as well.

2) It looks like you have it set up correctly (assuming that it's connected to Channel 1). What effects do you have set?

Have you tried swapping Fan #1 with Fan #6 on the hub?

1 hour ago, DevBiker said:

1) Yes, that's the RGB Fan LED Hub. Make sure that it's connected to Lighting Channel 1 on the LNP as well.

2) It looks like you have it set up correctly (assuming that it's connected to Channel 1). What effects do you have set?

It is indeed connected correctly. In Hardware Lighting Channel I have it set to apply a temperature monitoring color scheme. In Lighting Channel I have it set to apply a plain yellow.

I will try switching the fans. It's odd, because when I set up the fans I very specifically ensured they'd follow the order I wanted.

Thank you for your help! I'll report back with results soon.

8 hours ago, DevBiker said:

Hello,

I tried to switch the fans as you suggested. Unfortunately, no change was evident and the fans are still locked to their color scheme.

Is there any sort of issue that could possibly occur from using a 3rd-party power hub? As in, a CHAFAN power port splitter? I wouldn't think so, but if the Motherboard isn't detecting the fans due to that, then I suppose I'd need to buy a power hub that is compatible.

Otherwise, it seems that iCUE has simply elected to not operate on my system despite my best efforts. Which is a shame, but not truly problematic. I can always run a dark case and be happy, after all.

7 minutes ago, Scoreburger said:

Hello,

I tried to switch the fans as you suggested. Unfortunately, no change was evident and the fans are still locked to their color scheme.

Is there any sort of issue that could possibly occur from using a 3rd-party power hub? As in, a CHAFAN power port splitter? I wouldn't think so, but if the Motherboard isn't detecting the fans due to that, then I suppose I'd need to buy a power hub that is compatible.

Otherwise, it seems that iCUE has simply elected to not operate on my system despite my best efforts. Which is a shame, but not truly problematic. I can always run a dark case and be happy, after all.

Edit:

After a restart with the suggested changes, I've actually found the problem to *worsen*. Now, only 3 of the 6 case fans light up, and the lights that do flicker violently between red, green and dark, with LEDs lighting up seemingly at random. It's almost as if the RGB Hub is incapable of providing the power throughput necessary to either tell how to operate or actually power the RGB.

However, iCUE does seem to be able to communicate. Only, it seems that that communication is utterly and totally broken.

Can you advise at all? Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Scoreburger said:

Hello,

Edit:

After a restart with the suggested changes, I've actually found the problem to *worsen*. Now, only 3 of the 6 case fans light up, and the lights that do flicker violently between red, green and dark, with LEDs lighting up seemingly at random. It's almost as if the RGB Hub is incapable of providing the power throughput necessary to either tell how to operate or actually power the RGB.

However, iCUE does seem to be able to communicate. Only, it seems that that communication is utterly and totally broken.

Edit 2:

The more I play with the power the more I am convinced that it is just that the RGB Hub is a garbage piece of equipment.

When I plug in and out the power to the RGB Hub, I have a very momentary flash of color from each fan, before they rapidly descend into their flickering (and in 3 fan's cases, total darkness). It's like they're trying to follow the instructions iCUE is giving them, but they are incapable and so instead simply flickering between red, darkness and green. I say this as, when iCUE is told to supply a solid color, the fans do not flicker and remain red (or dark). However, when told to change colors, they flicker.

I am truthfully at a complete loss. Everything I've set up has been by-the-book, and as far as I know not a single piece of my equipment presents any incompatibility with iCUE. I'm convinced at this time that it is simply a straight hardware malfunction in either the Node Pro or the RGB Hub, as I find it hard to believe that I was sent 6 identically faulty LL120 fans.

Do you have any further insight into this issue?

9 minutes ago, Scoreburger said:

Edit:

Edit 2:

The more I play with the power the more I am convinced that it is just that the RGB Hub is a garbage piece of equipment.

When I plug in and out the power to the RGB Hub, I have a very momentary flash of color from each fan, before they rapidly descend into their flickering (and in 3 fan's cases, total darkness). It's like they're trying to follow the instructions iCUE is giving them, but they are incapable and so instead simply flickering between red, darkness and green. I say this as, when iCUE is told to supply a solid color, the fans do not flicker and remain red (or dark). However, when told to change colors, they flicker.

I am truthfully at a complete loss. Everything I've set up has been by-the-book, and as far as I know not a single piece of my equipment presents any incompatibility with iCUE. I'm convinced at this time that it is simply a straight hardware malfunction in either the Node Pro or the RGB Hub, as I find it hard to believe that I was sent 6 identically faulty LL120 fans.

Do you have any further insight into this issue?

Edit 3:

After some more playing around, I think I'll leave dark and never touch the RGB again.

After editing settings in iCUE and manipulating the power being put to both the Node Pro and the RGB Hub, I began to detect the smell of burning plastic coming from one of my LL120 fans. It is not coming from any other component, as I did a smell test on every other piece of equipment and the smell was either not present or much weaker compared to right next to the fan (which is the outer edge of the chassis itself).

Touch-tested every component in the build, and the warmest piece was the GPU, which was still warm enough for me to lay my hand Even the USB connection and SATA connection to the Node Pro and RGB Hub were not warm at all.

I have no clue what is happening lol. It seems that this build is doomed to be a lightless one now. Shame, because I was looking forward to having my build have lighting. Unfortunately, I am not willing to risk an electrical fire over a faulty LED or a superfluous feature that is broken either in iCUE, the Node Pro or the RGB Hub.

If you'd like, we can continue to troubleshoot.

The Fan Hub is a super-simple, super-dumb device. Seriously. It has a capacitor, some traces and connectors. That's it. There isn't anything more to the device.

If there is a burning plastic smell coming from one of the fans ... do you know which one? This is usually indicative of a short circuit but we'd have seen different issues before now so I doubt that's it.

If re-arranging the fans made the problem worse ... that's interesting in itself. The fans operate in series - one fans sends data signal to the next fan and so on. The Fan Hub enables this - but it's nothing more than a relay. No smarts ... just moving electric pulses from one connector to the next. If there is 1 single bad fan, it can take out the entire chain. Usually this means that every fan after the bad fan is flaky (which is why I suggested swapping Fan 1 and Fan 6). So ... it's likely that you have 1 bad fan and we just need to isolate it.

To properly test the fans, you need to validate 2 things: 1) that the fan itself works and 2) that it sends signal to the next fan. To do this, put 1 fan on port 1. If it fully lights up and is controllable, put it on port 2. Put another fan on port 1. If it lights up AND the fan on port 2 lights up and both are controllable, then the fan on port 1 is GOOD. Keep doing this until you have a known GOOD to put in port 2 and then test your first fan for connectivity.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DevBiker said:

If you'd like, we can continue to troubleshoot.

The Fan Hub is a super-simple, super-dumb device. Seriously. It has a capacitor, some traces and connectors. That's it. There isn't anything more to the device.

If there is a burning plastic smell coming from one of the fans ... do you know which one? This is usually indicative of a short circuit but we'd have seen different issues before now so I doubt that's it.

If re-arranging the fans made the problem worse ... that's interesting in itself. The fans operate in series - one fans sends data signal to the next fan and so on. The Fan Hub enables this - but it's nothing more than a relay. No smarts ... just moving electric pulses from one connector to the next. If there is 1 single bad fan, it can take out the entire chain. Usually this means that every fan after the bad fan is flaky (which is why I suggested swapping Fan 1 and Fan 6). So ... it's likely that you have 1 bad fan and we just need to isolate it.

To properly test the fans, you need to validate 2 things: 1) that the fan itself works and 2) that it sends signal to the next fan. To do this, put 1 fan on port 1. If it fully lights up and is controllable, put it on port 2. Put another fan on port 1. If it lights up AND the fan on port 2 lights up and both are controllable, then the fan on port 1 is GOOD. Keep doing this until you have a known GOOD to put in port 2 and then test your first fan for connectivity.

Sure, I'll do the troubleshoot of trying to isolate which is faulty. I'll do it tomorrow, I'm a bit tuckered tonight haha.
I do! It is specifically the fan I had pinned for fan 6 - the very end one at the back of the case. In fact, I smelled that same smell when I was first trying to get the RGB to work 4 days ago. I didn't know what it was at the time, so I simply shut off the rig and left it alone for about half an hour. When I came back, the smell was gone, and since I wasn't able to get RGB working, I just left the lights off. I have 0 issues with the fan with RGB off, I've even tested setting all fans to 100% power using QFan in the BIOS, and I had no issues at all.

Unfortunately though, removing the fan from the equation all together doesn't solve the issue with the RGB lighting, so it's likely that I have multiple faulty fans.

I'll report back tomorrow with any findings.

7 hours ago, Scoreburger said:

I've even tested setting all fans to 100% power using QFan in the BIOS, and I had no issues at all.

The fan motor (12v) and RGB lighting (5v) are completely separate functions, hence the two wires. You can snip all your 12v motor wires off with a pair of scissors and all the fans will still light up and vice versa. Don’t worry about the fan speed control at the moment. 

As mentioned right above this, the RGB Lighting Hub is a series circuit device. You must connect fans starting at port 1, then 2, then 3-4-5-6 etc. Any gaps and the circuit fails, which is likely what’s happening now. One of your fans is not passing the signal correctly and ruining everything else down the line. You need to methodically test them one at a time as described above. 

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

As mentioned right above this, the RGB Lighting Hub is a series circuit device. You must connect fans starting at port 1, then 2, then 3-4-5-6 etc. Any gaps and the circuit fails, which is likely what’s happening now. One of your fans is not passing the signal correctly and ruining everything else down the line. You need to methodically test them one at a time as described above. 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:03 AM, DevBiker said:

It's 100% a short circuit somewhere, likely inside either the Node or the Hub

I just tested exactly what you said, by plugging in a single fan to the #1 fan slot while both the Hub and Node are powered, and I was met with something very concerning:

An immediate series of two snapping noises, and a very powerful smell of burning plastic.

This is the second fan this has occured to now. This fan was slated to be fan #3, in the front of the case (and came in an entirely different box from Fan #6). It occured as soon as I applied power to the Node Pro. I will attempt adding power to fan #4 now.

Yep, same exact response. Immediate failure of an RGB light (signaled by a snap, the light no longer turns on), followed by a smell of burning plastic.

It is 1000% a hardware failure in either the Node or the Hub, which puts way past the maximum power acceptance to the LEDs in the fan, which short circuit it and lead to a total failure.

Please advise? I'm afraid I've likely ruined 3 fans in the process of testing lol, but it was the only way to be sure of the issue.

Contact Corsair Support through the link at the bottom of the page (or the main website).  File a claim for all the damaged fans and the RGB Lighting Hub.  Once could have been a momentary glitch, but a single fan can't draw enough power to cause problems.  Something else is going on and the RGB Lighting Hub is the 5v delivery for the fans on that controller.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hey, it's me. Back again.

So I did as recommended by c-attack, and acquired a new set of 3 fans and Node Pro/RGB Hub from Corsair.

So far, there have been no issues at all with any short circuits. However, the original issue of iCUE not actually providing instructions to the fans is still present. Right now, I have 6 LL120 fans, all of which are connect to an RGB Hub. The fans are arrayed bottom-front of case to the back, in sequence from 1-6, ordered as they proceed up and back.

Right now, the bottom-most fan in the front, fan #1, has a single green LED lit. Fan #2, the one directly above it, has 5 red LEDs and 3 blue. Every other fan is solid red.

So far, I have tried every possible fix short of reinstalling iCUE. I have also tried unplugging every fan that did not come with the new set of 3 and connecting the new set of 3 in sequence on the RGB Hub, but the issue prevailed.

One peculiar oddity, any time I connect and reconnect the Node Pro to the Motherboard (whether by powering and unpowering it, or disconnecting it via the USB) the Node Pro is declared to "require a firmware update" to 0.10.4. In the process of doing so, a second "shadow" Node Pro appears, and does not have the red download symbol on it's widget. I have attached the image displaying this below. This issue is extremely replicable, as it happens on virtually any instance the Node Pro is disconnected. It will even occur if the Node Pro is disconnected while the computer is shutdown, and then reconnected while the computer is still shutdown, and then turned on.

Otherwise, every page within iCUE is setup identical to this one: https://imgur.com/a/gHBWEME

Likewise, all wiring is identical to the last time I installed the system.

Any ideas? I'm fresh out.

iCUEpls.png

Edited by Scoreburger

Cool, so I'm going to assume at this point that iCUE has simply decided that it doesn't want to work just to spite me.

I've now tried two separate Node Pros with the RGB Hub that works, and both have been totally and utterly useless. Light 1 has a single green LED lit up, Light 2 has 5 red and 3 blue, and the rest are red. I'm taking this to mean that there is a critical software failure within iCUE that makes it totally incompatible with my system.

For the record, my specs are:

Asus X570 Motherboard +wifi

R5 3500

MSI 2070S

Corsair Vengeance RAM 32gb

If you have these components, buy and use iCUE tie-in equipment at your own risk. If you're unlucky like me, it just won't work.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:12 PM, Scoreburger said:

One peculiar oddity, any time I connect and reconnect the Node Pro to the Motherboard (whether by powering and unpowering it, or disconnecting it via the USB) the Node Pro is declared to "require a firmware update" to 0.10.4. In the process of doing so, a second "shadow" Node Pro appears, and does not have the red download symbol on it's widget.

This seems to happen when there is a USB initialization problem on boot.  CUE gets confused and thinks you have added a second device because it drops out after the actual device is first recognized.  I'm scanning back through the thread and can't see if you are already using a powered USB hub.  Most users on a X570 and B550 AMD boards need this to prevent the USB disconnects and maintain a steady connection.

It's theoretically possible this relates to the lighting issue with the hardware stuck between a hardware and software state, but I don't know at this point.  You've pretty much replaced all the hardware.  That leaves the above as one possibility.  There certainly are a lot of Asus X570 owners using this stuff and not hitting a brick wall in this fashion.  If you have happen to have a USB 2 9 pin to external USB A type converter lying around, connecting it to the back of the I/O panel may be an interesting test, but since 99% of recent AMD boards can't output the voltage on the USB port, that is probably necessary in any event.  

On 4/11/2022 at 5:05 PM, c-attack said:

This seems to happen when there is a USB initialization problem on boot.  CUE gets confused and thinks you have added a second device because it drops out after the actual device is first recognized.  I'm scanning back through the thread and can't see if you are already using a powered USB hub.  Most users on a X570 and B550 AMD boards need this to prevent the USB disconnects and maintain a steady connection.

So apparently my message didn't go through. Shame.

In short, this issue has resolved itself. The Node Pro is connected directly via SATA Power and a 9-pin USB to the PSU and MOBO respectively. It no longer detects erroneously and is up to date.

I have built a computer identical to this one, with fucntioning iCUE and RGB, so I know that I have not made any mistakes. This leads me to believe that either the BIOS is faulty and is not communicating correctly through the USB ports on the MOBO, or that iCUE is faulty and has simply decided that this PC (which is again identical to another I built) is incompatible with its software.

I will try adjusting the BIOS and updating it, but other than that I am afraid that it seems that iCUE is simply broken for me and will not function. Either that, or someone at Corsair QC was seriously lacking. In any instance, I am perfectly comfortable with a dark PC. While it would be nice to have RGB, it's superfluous anyways.