Corsair Community

PC upgrade. Any reason not to do this ...?

DrScoop42

Hi Forum,

Thinking of an upgrade to my PC.  Currently have a Ryzen 3700 with BeQuiet PureRock2 cooler, iCue220T case with the stock 3 front fans and one extra SP120 RGB at the rear. 4 sticks of Corsair RGB RAM and a .

Thinking of swapping out the 3700 for a 5900 and swapping the air cooler for a 240mm AIO.  I'm thinking to pick up an H100i AIO, dropping off the non-RGB fans and mounting it directly behind the top two RGB case fans.  Aware that then pulls air in, over the radiator and then exits warm air over the CPU and out the rear fan, but that's similar to what Corsair show on the 220T product page.

Would that be a really silly idea?  I could alternatively just pop another SP120 RGB fan on the BeQuiet and re-use the air cooler on the new CPU but wondered if the AIO might be more efficient?

The 220T comes with 3 SP-PRO RGB fans.  Make sure you are shopping for the DC motor SP-Pro, PWM SP-Elite, or PWM ML-Elite.  All of these are 8 LED center hub fans and can be combined interchangeably.  Do NOT buy the SP-RGB 120mm fans.  These do not work with anything but themselves.  

If you pick up a H100i Elite, it will come with 2 ML-Elite (OEM) fans and also a Commander Core PWM + RGB controller.  This is required for the Elite pump to get power.  However, it is PWM only so any case 3 pin DC fans like the SP-PRO will not work on the speed side of the controller.  It still works for RGB.  

Yes, good point, I'd meant the SP-PRO fans throughout the case.

Speed-wise, these currently run off the 3-pin fan headers on the mobo, so as I understand it,  I could just swap over the current lighting node core for the Commander Core, and run the LEDs of the 4 x SP-Pro 120s and the AIO off that. 

But fundamentally, no reason not to just mount the H110i radiator (minus the non-RGB fans) directly behind two of the SP-Pro 120s on the case front?

Yes, that's correct ... you can just swap them out.

However, if you get the Capellix H100, use the ML fans that come with it and run them from the Commander Core. Motherboard headers will typically be controlled by CPU temp and that's not the ideal control source for AIO fans. Instead, using the Commander Core and the ML-Elite fans that come with it (which will be identical to your SP-PRO fans from an RGB perspective) will allow you to control fan speeds from the pump temperature, which is a more appropriate control source.

That's a good shout.  I'd thought of the non-RGB version of the cooler, but that makes sense.  Any further merit in swapping out the residual two SP-PROs, and running all four off the Commander Core as PWM?  I guess then all four fans will a) match RGB and b) match the speed profile?

7 hours ago, DrScoop42 said:

Any further merit in swapping out the residual two SP-PROs, and running all four off the Commander Core as PWM?

Only if you want all fans to be software controllable and to be off the BIOS MB settings entirely.  I have been running that way for 6-7 years, so I am fairly biased.  In terms of RGB, the SP-Pro, SP-Elite, and ML-Elite are all matches with 8 LED center hubs.  They all share the same designation in CUE as a "8 LED fan series".  As far as software goes, no difference as all so it really down to the speed control.  

PWM fans tend to have better speed control and you can run them at lower speeds. But ... tbh ... it's really up to you. How much is it worth to you to have the better control over the fans and to run from the Commander Core? Especially if there really isn't anything wrong with those fans.

Now, if they were the original SP, that'd be a different story.

You might verify with the motherboard manufacturer's website that your motherboard definitely supports a 5900X. Don't assume that AM4 socket means that it will.

15 hours ago, magarity said:

You might verify with the motherboard manufacturer's website that your motherboard definitely supports a 5900X. Don't assume that AM4 socket means that it will.

Yep, an excellent point.  It's an MSI B550 board, bought with future upgrades in mind, and listed to work with the 5900x

19 hours ago, c-attack said:

Only if you want all fans to be software controllable and to be off the BIOS MB settings entirely.  I have been running that way for 6-7 years, so I am fairly biased.  In terms of RGB, the SP-Pro, SP-Elite, and ML-Elite are all matches with 8 LED center hubs.  They all share the same designation in CUE as a "8 LED fan series".  As far as software goes, no difference as all so it really down to the speed control.  

As much as anything, I can see me getting frustrated if I have 2 ML-Elites running PWM and an SP-PRO off the mobo, running slightly different speeds on the front panel of the case - it'll invoke mild OCD!