I am having a memory problem on boot up. Here are the specs:

P4 3.4 LGA 775

mobo: intel D915PBL

EVGA 6600 GT pci-e

1 GB of Value Select Corsair - two 512 sticks

74 GB Raptor

no name DVD drive

450 watt psu

what happens is as follows. one of the sticks of memory works fine. i can start the computer up fine in Channel A in the first slot. When i put the second stick in the second blue slot on channel A, then i get no video output. the computer starts up, but if i let it sit for awhile, it doesn't go to windows because i don't get video output. If i put the second stick in slot 0 on channel B, then the comp posts, shows video output and says "Maximum memory performance is achieved with matched DIMMS. The installed amount of memory in Channel A is not equal to the amount of " and that is it. next line is press any key to continue. Up above it says operating in single channel mode and total installed is 1024 mb. When i press any key it reboots with one beep, which on the intel page says "1 beeps - Refresh Error (with nothing on the screen and it is not a video problem)". then it will keep rebooting after hitting the posting screen with one beep - if i hit esc to see the screen instead of the intel picture, it flashes by quickly but i think it is saying the same error at the bottom from before. but it doesn't wait for me to press a key to reboot then. when i go into the bios, it detects the mem and lists it as the same settings for each piece. I have tried another video card and i get the same thing. could this piece be defective? or is there something else i should try. i have tried every combo of slots with the memory and it only works with the good piece in the first slot of channel A or B by itself, or good piece in 1st slot of A and bad piece in 1st slot of channel B.

First, test each stick of memory individually with http://www.memtest86.com for 3-5 passes per stick. And, please list all bios settings that relate to CPU, RAM, and voltages.

One thing I see that will likely be "a" problem if not "the" problem is your PSU. Please list the detailed spex of your PSU including wattages and rating for the seperate rails. And, is it a 20 pin or 24 pin PSU?

Mike.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry and I apologize for any inconvenience and diffuclties that you are currently experiencing on our memory modules. Please try the following BIOS settings on your D865PERL Intel motherboard, but before making the necessary changes; make sure that you have the latest BIOS available installed for your board, and load optimized/setup default settings and set the following BIOS settings.

VS1GBKIT400 or VS512MB400

Advanced Chipset Features

Memory Frequency: 400MHz or 200 if the options are 100/133/166/200.

Configure DRAM timing settings: User Define Manual

CAS Latency: 2.5

RAS to CAS Delay: 3

RAS Precharge: 3

Active to Precharge Delay: 8

DDR Voltage: 2.7/2.75 volts

All other settings should be left at motherboard default settings.

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• Corsair Employees

As for the ABIT AV8, try these settings.

Please put the memory module on either slots 1&2 or 3&4; make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB, and set the following settings on your BIOS;

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-4400C25

Guru Utility

CPU Operating Speed: User Define

External Clock: 275/66/33

CPU Multiplier or CPU/LDT ratio: 8X

Memory Clock: 200 or 400MHz

DDR SDRAM Voltage: 2.8 Volts

AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.6/1.65V

Advanced Chipset/DRAM Configuration:

DRAM Timing Selectable: User Define

DRAM Clock: DDR400

DRAM Command Rate: 2T

Cas Latency Time: 2.5T

RAS# to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

Min. RAS# Active Time (tRAS): 8T

RAS# Precharge Time (tRP): 4T

HT or LTD Frequency: 4X

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived