Corsair Community

Fans Ramp Up Randomly

This may have been reported before, but I haven't found a solution. I have a new build. Ryzen 5-5600. Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX. Lian Li Lancool II Mesh. Six Corsair fans controlled by Commander Core XT for power/RGB. My problem is that the fans ramp up randomly to max (sounds like an airplane taking off). The CPU is often at idle with the temp under 40C. CPU cooled by a LIan Li 240 AIO. I have tried setting fan control curves in Bios and in my CC XT. This is extremey vexing as this PC is for my wife for use in her Zoom calls, but she can't use it for the random noise. Could I have a bad Commander Core XT. All fans are Corsair (LL120 & SP RGB Elite). I've tried checking the forum and Youtube, but nothing has helped so far.

Jim

You need to set a better control variable and your own fan curve.  The three presets are not really intended for non-AIO use.  In short, it is using a water temperature based scale (20-40C) but the CPU temp is the control variable.  On AMD that means your are almost maxed out at idle.  

You need to create your own curve and choose a better control source.  (Cooling +, graph will appear below).  Hopefully there is a 10K thermistor temperature probe in the XT box.  If not, they are inexpensive and worthwhile.  The most obvious place is fix the sensor end somewhere near the rear exhaust, either inside or outside the case.  Doesn't really matter.  You'll need to learn your normal temperature range (probably 30-60C) and then set a fan speed acceptable to you. The sensor will be named Commander Core XT Temp 1 or 2.  

In the meantime, you can stop this now by choosing a better control variable.  "Motherboard Temp" is a decent choice and you could also use GPU temp if you like.  However, both of these require CUE to be running to fetch the data from its source and GPU temp can shift pretty heavily as the power drops off on menus, start screens, etc.  

3 hours ago, c-attack said:

Hopefully there is a 10K thermistor temperature probe in the XT box

There are actually 2 of them in the box for the Commander Core XT. So you'll be good to do this out of the box. They are 2-wire cables with a little yellow tab on the end.

Found the temp probes. Attached one to the pump housing for the first experiment. Seems to be controlling the fan speed a lot better. I do have a really uninformed question. The probes have a plastic covering over the elements. Do I pull that off? It seems to be attached rather firmly and I didn't want to break the probe. 

Again, thanks for the assistance. I haven't built a system in more than 10 years.I almost bought a ready built, but I've been enthralled by all the gorgeous systems on Youtube. This RGB is new for me.  

1 hour ago, OldBuilder said:

The probes have a plastic covering over the elements. Do I pull that off? It seems to be attached rather firmly and I didn't want to break the probe. 

No, leave the plastic covering on them. Use them as-is.

As above. You don’t want the probe end touching anything. It will return strange values if it does. It works for air temperature not surface temp. 

Thanks to everyone who responded. I kept playing with different curves and attaching the fans to specific devices and curves and somehow got my fans down to a comfortably quiet mode. Occasional slight ramp up, but nothing major like before. CPU temp is remaining mostly below 40C. I've yet to do any real gaming however, but I'll try that tonight. This has been a vexing week for me. Build is almost complete, but i've yet to deal with that mass of confusion at the rear and do some cable clean up. I have some fancy extension cables coming tomorrow. I was going to go with the Lian Li Strimer Plus, but I decided to hold off till I got this machine usable. Currently I have three intake fans on the front panel, two on the AIO exhausting through the top, and one exhaust fan at the rear. My AIO pump is running at a constant maximum speed (through Bios). I am still on Windows 10 Home. I had to tweak the Bios to make it Windows 11 ready, but I'll stay on 10 for a while unless there's a compelling reason to change. Currently I'm at 34C while I type this, but browsing is no real load. Thanks again...