Corsair Community

Corsair ICUE Commander CORE XT Software keeps disconnecting

Hello, I know this is a common issue, but i really don't know what else to do. I just bought a Corsair ICUE 7000X TG Black RGB case and it came with the ICUE commander Core XT. My build is:

.Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2

.AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

.MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX  3060Ti

Ever since I installed Windows 10 I detected USB connection and disconnection sound, I've struggled a lot and I found that the problem is with the ICUE software. I found a lot of forums and videos and I've done a lot of the things that other people say, disabling the checkbox "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" and even I bought an internal USB hub NZXT to use as "bypass". Nothing seems to fix the problem, it is very very annoing, so what is the real problem? If I uninstall the ICUE Software I can´t control the fans anymore and when I am playing a game the temperature reaches 95°C (with the fans in "extreme" the temperature is 80°C in the worst case), so uninstalling the software is not an option for me.

How can I fix the problem?

Thanks.

The NZXT powered usb hub isn’t working?  That is the usual solution for AMD owners with lower voltage on the USB ports. How many other devices are connected to the hub?  

I also would reinstall your chipset drivers for the MB that control the usb traffic. If this started after an OS upgrade/update, a glitch there is certainly possible. 

Also, are you using any other monitoring software at all? Perhaps HWInfo?

11 hours ago, c-attack said:

The NZXT powered usb hub isn’t working?  That is the usual solution for AMD owners with lower voltage on the USB ports. How many other devices are connected to the hub?  

I also would reinstall your chipset drivers for the MB that control the usb traffic. If this started after an OS upgrade/update, a glitch there is certainly possible. 

Thanks for the quick response, a week ago I installed the NZXT powered usb hub and things were going well, but 2 days ago I started with the connection and disconnection problem. I have nothing else connected to the hub, only the commander core xt. Today I uninstall (from "device manager") the usb controllers, then reboot so windows would install them again and I had no problem so far, I don't date to say that the problem is fixed yet because it could happen the same thing that when I installed the powered hub, I would post in a couple of days if the problem persists or if it's finally fixed.

Thanks again and sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

8 hours ago, DevBiker said:

Also, are you using any other monitoring software at all? Perhaps HWInfo?

Thanks for the response DevBiker, I'm not using another monitoring software, I read in other posts that HWInfo causes problems so I don't use any other. I guess is a software problem because I use linux (Ubuntu) for work and I'm not having this issue, the truth is that I use it with different puropose obviously, so I don't demand it the same way. My real concern is if this could "break" something (the fans blinks like if they were switched to off and on again), also sometimes it "powers off" and never plugs in again, I have to reset my computer for it to appear.

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Well hopefully it holds up.  As for the disconnects, it is dropping you out of "software controlled" mode and into hardware controlled mode.  That is a bit annoying and so is the Windows disconnect sound, but it should not be harmful to the controller or normal system operations.  You can insulate yourself from further irritation by setting your fan curves to run from either of the two temperature probe sensors on the XT.  Set it up to measure exhaust air temp from the back or something else logical.  That is the native sensor for the controller and fans will follow that at all times, software running or not.  Since you are running a non-Windows OS as well, I recommend this even if you are not having the device drop problem.  You also can set either the same or different HW Lighting in the Commander XT settings (if using RGB fans) to be less noticeable when it drops or more likely to show the lighting you want when running Ubuntu.  

Edited by c-attack

19 hours ago, c-attack said:

Well hopefully it holds up.  As for the disconnects, it is dropping you out of "software controlled" mode and into hardware controlled mode.  That is a bit annoying and so is the Windows disconnect sound, but it should not be harmful to the controller or normal system operations.  You can insulate yourself from further irritation by setting your fan curves to run from either of the two temperature probe sensors on the XT.  Set it up measure exhaust air temp from the back or something else logical.  That is the native sensor for the controller and fans will follow that at all times, software running or not.  Since you are running a non-Windows OS as well, I recommend this even if you are not having the device drop problem.  You also can set either the same or different HW Lighting in the Commander XT settings (if using RGB fans) to be less noticeable when it drops or more likely to show the lighting you want when running Ubuntu.  

Ok no luck, it only last one day, today it's happening again, but now it just dissapear. I don't hear the disconnection sound anymore, I realized because the color of the fans changed, so I opened the ICUE software and it just dissapeared and also my profiles, it doesn't show the image of the commander anymore and I can't set the fans to "Extreme" or "Relax", I guess they are running in "default" mode. I reboot windows and it shows up again, but after a while it dissapears again and so on.

I really really don't know what else to do, I could try making a clean install of the operative system but I'm not sure if making all that effort would fix anything, any other ideas? Something else I could try? I read that setting in the BIOS PCIe lanes to Gen 3 could fix the problem, but I don't know what is the impact of that, what's the point of having a PCIe Gen 4 if I have to set it to 3.

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, Lea said:

I really really don't know what else to do, I could try making a clean install of the operative system

Not likely to help and a lot of work for a test.  

Go to CUE settings and turn on 'debug logging'.  Then start a support ticket with Corsair.  Perhaps there is something in those that will identify the root cause and it's possible this is a hardware fault.  Most of the time this stuff stops when on the powered USB hub.  

All of the behavior described is typical for when the device is disconnected.  No USB path, no device in the software, and thus no control. 

How much RGB do you have? What PSU are you running? How many and what devices are connected to USB?

I really have to wonder if a lot of the disconnects we're seeing are due to voltage drops in the 5V rail or limits on the USB power delivery - USB 2.0 is limited to 500mA while USB 3 has a limit of 900mA (which could be why the USB 3 converter works...).

RGB and USB all consume 5V and too many PSUs simply aren't made to handle much load on the 'minor' rails.

I don't have much RGB, only the 4 fans that came with the case, even no RGB in the RAM or in the CPU cooler, the PSU is 750W Evga GA Supernova 80 PLUS Gold Modular. I have mouse, keyboard, headset, dongle bluetooth and sometimes a joystick connected to USB ports.

Something weird happens because uninstalling from "device manager" the USB that is plugged the Commander Core, and rebooting so Windows installs them again seems to fix the problem temporarily, al least until I shut down the PC and turn it on again the next day. If I do that, I have no problem in all day until next day. Is there a registry I could delete or something ?

Thanks.