Corsair Community

Anyone try two Commander Core XT's?

I have 10 QL120 fans. I was trying to use two XTs because they can controller RGB and speed. iCUE seems to only detect one at a time. I can't plug everything in the two USB headers on the motherboard. I'm using the NZXT internal hub. That is on one USB header and my H150i on the other. The NZXT hub has LCD for H150i (upgrade kit) and HAD my XT's.

What I've been able to replicate:

• With both XT's plugged in, only one will show in iCUE
  • With either one plugged in, fans are detected and manageable
  • Seems that the one plugged in to the hub first, is the one that shows in iCUE

Because it seems that iCUE doesn't like two XTs, I switched one out for my Pro and a Lighting Node Core. The XT works but the fans on the Commander Pro appear and disappear in iCUE. What is odd is that I was able to create a custom fan curve and as each one appeared, I set it to that custom curve. The fans are quiter now than they were before, but still appear and disappear.

What is odd, the Commander Pro with two Lighting Node Cores plugged in to the USB ports on the pro worked fine. All fans visible so I can't say it is a hardware issue. And yes, I forced a firmware update on everything, I'm using the latest iCUE.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

After many hours, I figured it out. I now have two XTs in and I must say, it is better than a Pro with Lighting Node Core because I can control speed of up to 12 fans. In my Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo, that gives me seven PWM fans connected to the two XTs, 10 RGB across the XTs. 3 QLs will be connected PWM to the H150i (RGB is to XT) and 3 ML120s will be on the back side of the H150i with both RGB and PWM connected to the H150i controller.

This was a BIG PAIN IN THE *** to get right. The only way the two XTs would work is that one had to be connected to a specific controller and the other daisy chained off it. They wouldn't both be recognized connected to a Commander Pro or separately to an NZXT internal hub.

Corsair REALLY needs to work on getting their iCUE system working to a much easier system to work with

Your problem was not that you have two Commander XTs, but that you have 2 XT + Commander Core + LCD top. As discussed in all the other threads about this issue, you are likely to run into usb2 bandwidth issues when using any 3 of those products at the same time. Some users are able offload some the traffic by using a USB 2 -> USB 3 converter to handle more throughput. This also seems to be most prevalent on the new Z690 boards, but it’s not clear if that’s because most new builds are incorporating the Elite LCD top and this conflict is naturally more common or if there is less usb 2 bandwidth on the new chipset in favor of newer protocols. 

I can’t think of a reason why you need 3 Commanders in this build and part of the reason I tried to nudge you off this path. Hopefully the connection holds, but this can change from boot to boot. 

I decided to try the Commander Pro again but it wont detect fans. I tried reseting it, switching headers on the board, it just stopped working. I've always powered down, shut off psu, hit power button to discharge power before re-plugging in everything. 

My daughter's PC is a corsair case with iCUE fans. I'm going to see if the same thing happens there before contacting support.

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, c-attack said:

I can’t think of a reason why you need 3 Commanders in this build and part of the reason I tried to nudge you off this path. Hopefully the connection holds, but this can change from boot to boot. 

6x on AIO in push/pull, three intake fans on bottom, three exhaust on top, one exhaust on back. I have to check again but I think I had issues with QLs on the Commander Core that came with the elite capellix (I tried so many things, I can't remember everything. I might remove the rear exhaust as it is just too much light and detracts from the ASUS ROG logo on the I/O cover. that would put me down to 12 fans. If the commander core pro works with all 9 QLs on LNC plugged in to the Pro, I could probably lose and return the XTs. I still have two more USB devices with only one header; pump and LCD. The NZXT internal hub should cover that. 

Edited by GiSWiG

OK, so not really just 10 QL but the ML-Elites in there too.  You probably can do 2 way PWM splitters on each controller to go from 12 to 14 if needed.  However, typically when you start to get up to 10+ (and certainly past 12) most users will want a PWM fan hub.  It's cheap, it's dumb (an advantage here - no USB), and you don't need independent control for all those fans in banks of 3s.  Besides being less costly and saving space, USB congestion is getting to be a common issue and it mostly certainly is the 4  new devices (XT, Com Core, and LCD top) that are giving you trouble.  

You'll have to puzzle the combinations a bit I'm afraid and that might make the sequential order issue even more difficult.  However, based on experience in this case, the feeling like you need to run a wave from fans 1-10 in order will fade pretty quick.  It is difficult and tedious on the programming and what you may find is your top and bottom QL (if you have them set that way) become the focal point.  Everything else is background lighting.  So in short, try and get it set up for best connections and daily management.  The sequential stuff is a big challenge with this much hardware.  

To that end, keep in mind there is no device to device connection between the Lighting Node Pro or Lighting Node Core and the Commander Pro.  Those USB ports on the Commander Pro and XT are pure passthrough, just like if you use a splitter.  Typically this makes devices on that line even more difficult, so I was surprised you were able to make a connection with two XTs chained.  That is normally not great even with no other hardware.  If you find yourself back at square one, try to combine older devices (Commander Pro, LN Pro, or Lighting Node Core) with the heavier bandwidth devices like the XT, Com Core, and LCD top -- effectively spread the heavy traffic devices around.  That might be impossible with 2 XT, since the Com Core and LCD top have to stay.  

So I did more testing. My Commander Pro was not bad like I thought it was. I tried it with to LNCs and it was just buggy. Now, it could be the software, IDK. I went back to the two XTs and have had no problem.

I have been playing around with SignalRGB and it can do so much more than iCUE but then, also not. I'm not sure if it can address individual LED. IT CAN do a visor across the fans in any order you want. iCUE could do this but it seems like they are more focused on kicking out new products than fixing and enhancing iCUE. They did just fix the AIO LCD with yesterday's update and mine is working great.

SignalRGB is also how I experienced some of the buginess with the Commander Pro w/ LNC vs. XTs. I got the XTs to work without issues where the Commander Pro/LNCs would flicker occasionally and some LEDs would go out.

I know, SignalRGB is not a Corsair product and Corsair shouldn't be compelled to support it. It is proof that Corsair can do more if they want.

Now, I did order Lian Li AL120s to check out. They seem to be able to do some of the things I'm looking for and are compatible with SignalRGB. All my QLs and hubs are still in the return window for the next two weeks. I'll see how it goes. I do like the look of both fans and now that I've resolved my issues with the Corsair setup, I could be keeping them instead and sending back the Lian Li's

Re PWM hub. If I may ask. I had a Pro and wanted to go XT to reduce foot print. I have 8 fans. 2 on the AIO, no LEDs yet and wish to upgrade to LCD later.

I have the XT, a Node Core HUb, and a RGB hub that comes w fans.

I put the AIO fans directly to the mobo. This Lancool II has a PWM hub. Could I put the fans to it and then from it connect to the XT?

50 minutes ago, Telhack said:

Re PWM hub. If I may ask. I had a Pro and wanted to go XT to reduce foot print. I have 8 fans. 2 on the AIO, no LEDs yet and wish to upgrade to LCD later.

I have the XT, a Node Core HUb, and a RGB hub that comes w fans.

The LCD top only works with the Elite series AIOs.  If you have one of those, then you also have a Commander Core (only way to power the AIO).  In that event, you won't need the Commander XT.  You use a pair of PWM 2 way splitters to make 8 fans fit on 6 PWM headers.  However, that will be less desirable for the RGB side and you use the Lighting Node Core with the Commander Core to split the 8 fans (6+2, 5+3, or 4+4).  

54 minutes ago, Telhack said:

This Lancool II has a PWM hub. Could I put the fans to it and then from it connect to the XT

Theoretically yes, although sometimes there are PWM anomalies.  I would expect this work.  The PWM hub acts like a powered splitter for all fans connected.  

你好,我也是7个ql120,3个ll120,我的机箱是5000t,cpu水冷是next z73,我增加了一个指挥官控制器,插在主板Z690 HERO上,但是icue上只显示5000t机箱的控制器,没有我另外一个控制,请问问有办法解决吗

Hello, I also have 7 QL120 fans and 3 ll120 fans. The chassis is 5000t and the heat dissipation is next z73. I added a controller. After inserting my z690 hero motherboard, ICUE only displays the 5000t controller and cannot display the added control box. Is there a solution?

• 3 months later...

I went for a zero compromises build. I have a 7000D Airflow My goal was to build a showcase with very nice temps.

So i went with 15 QL120 fans. 4 on the front intake, 4 on the intake on the left, one at the rear exhaust, and 6 in a push pull configuration on the H150i Elite LCD rad. I could have gone with 2 more fans had i opted for the H170. To me, the best way to do this is with less hubs in the case, not more. in that way, I have 3 Commanders. One for the AIO rad / pump, and two for additional fans. Had I wanted to run all the fans the case accommodates, i am not sure i could have even fit more rgb boxes and pwm controllers. 

Is corsair looking at a way to patch this issue? in the mean time, is a dd-in usb card with headers a way to work around this issue? the build may not look as nice, but this is a potentail fix. Thoughts?

20220724_225233.jpg

Well, since you really don't need individual fan control, having one PWM output per fan is completely unneeded, so from the get go, it's overkill. That doesn't solve the way iCue fails to work with many controllers, but it certainly is the best way to use the PWM ports. One output per group of fans also makes it much quicker to set up fan curves. You don't have 15 outputs to set per profile.

In your case you'd need only 4 outputs and two PWM hubs. Of course there would be need for lighting nodes, but you already have them if you bought 3 packs of fans, and those don't cause issues with iCUE.

With Corsair you really have to work around iCUE limitations rather than hope they will get solved. Spoiler : it happens extremely rarely.