Corsair Community

Has anyone fit 3.5 drives in the 5000D with a RM850 PSU?

magarity

The picture on the product page shows a pair of 3.5 drives with an RM850 in the bottom of the 5000D but notice there are no cables plugged in to the PSU. I've got a 5000D with an RM850 in it and heck if I can figure out how to put the 3.5 drive cage back in now that I've plugged the cables in. They just don't want to squash in there. Has anyone succeeded in this? Any hints?

with slim cables maybe, by managing them very carefully up? and even then it would be a really tight squeeze.

"Push harder!" - Corsair Marketing team

"You may want to look into the 7000D" - Corsair Sales team

"Who took that picture?!!" - Corsair customer support

OK, I finally found in the manual showing (but not outright saying) that the 3.5 bay needs to be shunted towards the front in order to use both it and a power supply at the same time. Since this would need a lot of rework (I currently have a radiator on the side, which doing this would block), I guess I am out of luck.

I have the 3.5" drive cage in its default location, but I'm using an eVGA modular PSU that is 140mm long. The RM850 is 160 mm long.

I put in the cage after the PSU, so I could only reach one of the locking screws.

It's too bad that the case wasn't designed so that the PSU mounted from the outside. (The PSU would attach to a frame, and the frame would bolt to the case. From the outside.)

On 3/27/2022 at 4:05 PM, bobkn said:

I have the 3.5" drive cage in its default location, but I'm using an eVGA modular PSU that is 140mm long. The RM850 is 160 mm long.

I put in the cage after the PSU, so I could only reach one of the locking screws.

It's too bad that the case wasn't designed so that the PSU mounted from the outside. (The PSU would attach to a frame, and the frame would bolt to the case. From the outside.)

Yes, mounting like you describe would just about solve it!

I don't think I could get my finger in to do one screw even if I could slide the cage in 😞