Corsair Community

SF600 Platinum consumes 10 Watts when switched off

Hi,

I got a brand new PSU SF600 Platinum. I measured the consumption in two states: switched off, switched on and standby.

The first two returned unexpected measurements: respectively 10 watts and 13 watts.

3 watts more in standby is probably normal. But the 10 watts when off should have been zero.

I replaced the PSU from the seller. The new one (which has a different serial number) exposes the same consumption.

Note that i tested it with all PC components disconnected. If i remove the power cable from the PSU , then consumption drops as expected to zero. Plug the power cable (and nothing else) then i get the 10 watts.

This cannot be normal. Am I unlucky? Or is there a bad batch out there?

Thanks.

PS: 230V Voltage

i'm guessing it's a bogus reading from those wall socket power meters. At very low power they are at best very inacurate, and with power switched off, i believe some of the PSU input protection circuitry is still connected.

So it could be just the meter not liking to have coils and caps connected to it, power factor shenanigans making it see high apparent power when really the PSU is drawing nothing.

The PSU can't use that much power when off anyway. otherwise achieving less than 1W when activating ErP in the bios wouldn't work very well 🙂

3W in idle without energy saving options enabled looks about right. The 10W offset looks very off.

• Corsair Employees
5 hours ago, OlivierS said:

Hi,

I got a brand new PSU SF600 Platinum. I measured the consumption in two states: switched off, switched on and standby.

The first two returned unexpected measurements: respectively 10 watts and 13 watts.

3 watts more in standby is probably normal. But the 10 watts when off should have been zero.

I replaced the PSU from the seller. The new one (which has a different serial number) exposes the same consumption.

Note that i tested it with all PC components disconnected. If i remove the power cable from the PSU , then consumption drops as expected to zero. Plug the power cable (and nothing else) then i get the 10 watts.

This cannot be normal. Am I unlucky? Or is there a bad batch out there?

Thanks.

PS: 230V Voltage

When you say "switched off" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean you shutdown the computer gracefully through the OS sending it into the S5 (power off) power state? Or are you referring to physically setting the switch on the back of the PSU to the off position?

If you are referring you the system being gracefully shutdown then it is indeed expected to see some power draw as the components such as the motherboard are still pulling a small amount of power in order to be able to properly power back on once you press the power button on your computer case. The same behavior happens with most electronics plugged into wall power but in an off state as there will always been some power draw. 

We would also advise from switching the physical PSU switch on and off every time you shutdown your system as it will lead to damage being caused to the PSU as it deals with the inrush of power from the wall when switched back on, which leads to premature failure of the PSU.

Thanks. I checked that the meter can measure less than 10 watts, e.g. a lamp of 7 watts. I also plug the lamp and the PSU together, and the offset of 10 watts remains (i.e. 17 watts in total with the lamp).

I meant switched off with the physical switch in the back of the PSU with nothing connected. I agree that the 3 Watts for Standby consumption is probably ok.

Maybe you are right, and the coils or whatever interacts strangely with the meter. I will check with another meter tomorrow.

• Corsair Employees

If the switch on the back of the PSU is physically switched to the OFF position then its phantom readings with your meter as that acts as any physical electrical switch would by cutting off all power from the wall to the internals of the PSU.

I am not sure to understand how this phantom readings would happen.

The offset of 10 watts is constant in all my testing scenarios.

Anyway, tomorrow i will test with a different meter. I will post my results.

Thank you.