Corsair Community

Help please

I upgraded to a 5000x case from a 465x RGB case, with that 465x case I had 4 LL120 fans (3 that came with it and 1 added) and an H100 Elite AIO that came with 2 ML120 fans. I now have nine fans, with that said I need help being able to install the products needed for all fans to be correctly. Parts I have are the two hubs that came with the 5000X case, 1 RGB hub that I had from an LED strip kit, 1 commander core and 1 commander pro. Is there a diagram or instructions to make this work correctly?

Well ... first question ... which fans do you want to end up with? That 5000X comes with 3 fans ... you have a 5 LLs and 2 ML 120's from the Elite AIO. What do you want your end game to be?

• Like 1

I'd like to have all fans recognized and fan control as well if possible 

The question was one of balance. Even though the Commander Core is capable of forcing lighting patterns across different fan types, you’re still better of separating them to different RGB controllers. If you are using 9-10 fans, you need 2 RGB controllers anyway. 

One controller must be the Commander Core. It is required for the Elite AIO power. The ML-Elite and SP-Elite that came with the case can go here for RGB control. The LL fans can go on the Lighting Node Core that came with the case or a RGB lighting hub to Commander Pro based on your decision below. 

The Commander Core can control 6 PWM fans, but you also have a PWM fan hub in back that acts as a powered splitter. It has six slots and uses 1 PWM control header from the Com Core. That is control for 11 fans and there is no need for individual fan control in those banks of 3.

The alternative is to use the Commander Pro as a second fan controller + RGB lighting hub for LL fans. You then do not use the PWM hub or case included Lighting Node Core. One disadvantage of this method is you will need a control source for the fans on the Commander Pro. It can use coolant temp like the Com Core but only when the software is running. It may be preferable to use a temp probe from the Commander Pro to establish a native sensor value that works at all times. If you use the Com Core + PWM hub option all speed control is from one device instead of two. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, xFu51oNx said:

I'd like to have all fans recognized and fan control as well if possible 

So you want to shove ALL of your fans in to the new case? Or are you only looking at using some of them?

We need some more details about what you're trying to do. You have more fans that will feasibly go into the case (off the top of my head) ... so which ones do you plan to use? How many and which types? Or have you not thought that far ahead?

• Thanks 1

I have all fans in the case and all are lit, however the LL's and the SPs are not controlled as well as my pump, AIO pump and fans and my PSU (CX750) I know in my old case I could see all fans on my dashboard. Now I only see the pump and 4 fans with one being the PSU fan and exhaust fan at rear LL 120 and the two ML120s on the AIO. I want to be able to see the front 3 (SPs) that came with the case and the 3 side fans (LLs) but with my current set up I'm not seeing those 6.

276153509_3233925436882752_3773614897221073887_n.jpg

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Edited by xFu51oNx

thank you for your help as of now and I hope with the images you might be able to help me better. I do NOT have the commander pro or RGB hub from my led light strip installed in new case.

So where are the PWM cables for those fans connected?

What devices are listed in Home?

8 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

So where are the PWM cables for those fans connected?

What devices are listed in Home?

Screenshot_3.png

And where are the PWM cables for the missing fans connected? Physically ... what connector did you plug them in to?

Edited by DevBiker

4 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

And where are the PWM cables for the missing fans connected? Physically ... what connector did you plug them in to?

I'm sorry, they're plugged into the two hubs that came on the case. 

Does this help? On the screenshot with 6 fans, they're 3 LLs and 3 SPs. However I don't get a drop down or ICUE doesn't auto detect them

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

I need to install the Commander PRO I bet and use the two channels I'm thinking now....

No, that's the RGB. It's completely different.

Where are the PWM connectors for the fans connected? This just shows me the RGB connections, which isn't relevant to your question; the PWM connector is separate and can be connected to a completely different device. If they are spinning, they are connected to something. What is is that they are connected to? Do you have the Commander Pro installed and, if so, are the PWM fans connected to that? If the CoPro is installed, where is the USB connected?

• Thanks 1

Just now, xFu51oNx said:

I need to install the Commander PRO I bet and use the two channels I'm thinking now....

Not necessarily. But if you do, pull the LNC and use the CoPro for the RGB for those fans as well. But there are ways that you can set everything up without needing the Commander Pro.

• Thanks 1

I'm struggling to explain what you're asking, I think the 6 fans (3 LLs and 3 SPs) are what's plugged in to the two PWM's that came with case and then both USB's are plugged into USB1 and USB2 on my MOBO. I did not do all the work and I don't know what it what. 

Edited by xFu51oNx

7 minutes ago, xFu51oNx said:

I'm struggling to explain what you're asking, I think the 6 fans (3 LLs and 3 SPs) are what's plugged in to the two PWM's that came with case and then both USB's are plugged into USB1 and USB2 on my MOBO. I did not do all the work and I don't know what it what. 

So who did the work?
It's hard for us to help you if you can't answer the questions that we need answered in order to help you. Each of those fans has two completely separate connectors - one for RGB and one for the fan motor (PWM). They can go to completely different devices. So you need to find out where the PWM connectors for the missing fans are connected. Only then can we even begin to make any intelligent suggestions on your question.
Perhaps call talk to the person that did the work - they should (one would hope) be able to tell you what is connected where.

Edited by DevBiker

I had a friend help me and we both didn't understand the right way to go about the fan wire work. I have a better understanding from the Corsair YouTube videos and I'm gonna look into the back of the case. I do appreciate all the help and patience (I hope) thus far. I will come back with better photo's and ask along the way if okay? Again, ty for your help.

Yeah, that's all good. It's just that there's a limit to what we can tell you based on what you know. Right now, make sure that you look for the PWM connectors (not RGB). If you can trace them from the fans, even better. If you can then label them so you can tell them apart, that's bonus. And pictures always help to make sure that we're all talking about the same thing.

11 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

Yeah, that's all good. It's just that there's a limit to what we can tell you based on what you know. Right now, make sure that you look for the PWM connectors (not RGB). If you can trace them from the fans, even better. If you can then label them so you can tell them apart, that's bonus. And pictures always help to make sure that we're all talking about the same thing.

It looks like the six fans in question are plugged into the two hubs that came with the case 3 SPs on the top in all slots and the 3 LLs are on the bottom 6 spots on the 2 hubs that came with the case. It looks like the AIO is plugged into USB 1 on the motherboard and the case fans the front and side are into the two hubs that came with the case are going into USB 2 on my motherboard. 

20220321_123129.jpg

20220321_123143.jpg

20220321_123155.jpg

20220321_123228.jpg

All righty! That's super-helpful.

The device that six fans are connected to is a PWM hub. It will appear in iCUE as a single fan and the RPM will come from one of the fans (the port will usually have some kind of marking). But that's why you don't see them in performance - you'll only see one and it looks like that hub is connected to port #1.

There's nothing wrong with using a PWM hub - lots of us do and they are very useful. It's not uncommon for there to be banks of multiple fans that should be controlled together and PWM hubs help with that (big time) and reduce management overhead. Typically, you'll want all of them to be the same type of fan but it's not absolutely required.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

All righty! That's super-helpful.

The device that six fans are connected to is a PWM hub. It will appear in iCUE as a single fan and the RPM will come from one of the fans (the port will usually have some kind of marking). But that's why you don't see them in performance - you'll only see one and it looks like that hub is connected to port #1.

There's nothing wrong with using a PWM hub - lots of us do and they are very useful. It's not uncommon for there to be banks of multiple fans that should be controlled together and PWM hubs help with that (big time) and reduce management overhead. Typically, you'll want all of them to be the same type of fan but it's not absolutely required.

Thank you so much, I would like to remove the two boards from the new case and install my commander Pro instead. Other than fan control and defined fan speed, will I be hurting anything or is there any benefit to that? Thank you so much by the way for all your help.

One of the 'boards' is a PWM hub (that's the top one). The other one is a naked Lighting Node Core (the second image).

How much benefit do you get by removing them? Probably not much. You'll want to run at least your 3 intake fans at the same speed ... and probably the 3 fans in the side at the same speed (I'm assuming that you have them installed). So ... put those six fans on the PWM hub and control them together. It's simpler that way (the "KISS" principle).

Individual control over every single fan speed isn't usually needed and often isn't even really desirable. And while some folks can work for hours to tune each individual fan with individual fan curves, most don't. It does, however, add some amount of overhead to iCUE as well as give you more stuff to manage.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DevBiker said:

One of the 'boards' is a PWM hub (that's the top one). The other one is a naked Lighting Node Core (the second image).

How much benefit do you get by removing them? Probably not much. You'll want to run at least your 3 intake fans at the same speed ... and probably the 3 fans in the side at the same speed (I'm assuming that you have them installed). So ... put those six fans on the PWM hub and control them together. It's simpler that way (the "KISS" principle).

Individual control over every single fan speed isn't usually needed and often isn't even really desirable. And while some folks can work for hours to tune each individual fan with individual fan curves, most don't. It does, however, add some amount of overhead to iCUE as well as give you more stuff to manage.

Awesome and Thank you!