Corsair Community

RAM Issues with Chaintech VNF-250

Entropy42

I have 2 512 MB sticks of XMS3200C2. The system has been working more or less quite well until recently. I started having random lock-ups during games, occasionally the computer would reboot and the monitor wouldn't turn back on, or it would boot and then give a "no system disk found" error. So i updated the bios to 3/21/05, and now when I boot up with 2 sticks of RAM in it, the BIOS only shows 512 MB. Windows also only sees 512 MB. Strangely though, CPU-Z sees both sticks of RAM. The computer works fine like this, with both sticks in, but obviously isn't using my other 512 MB of RAM. I've tried booting with just one DIMM, and that also works quite well.

Can you tell me our modules part#, revision and Lot Code (How To Read the Memory Label)?

DIMM 1

CMX512-3200C2

XMS3202v3.1

0426160-0

DIMM 2

CMX512-3200C2

XMS3202v1.1

Tonight I ran memtest86 on DIMM 1 and it passed 3 runs in both the 1st and 2nd DIMM slot. When i tried booting up with just DIMM 2 in (in either slot), the monitor would never turn on, and the HD access light stayed on until I held down the power button and turned it off.

So it seems as though my 2nd DIMM is bad, but I really wouldn't be surprised at all if it worked in another computer. It seemed to be working just fine until after the BIOS update. Hopefully this additional info will be of help to you. Thanks.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I went through this, and got a matched pair of

CMX512-3200C2

XMS3202v1.5

0517006-0

After installing it and attempting to play World of Warcraft, the game would give an error or bluescreen within 5 min of starting. So I ran SiSoft Sandras burn-in test with both memory tests selected, as well as CPU Multimedia. This causes is to blue screen within 10 min. I tried running Memtest86 on the new DIMMS and it ran 1.5 times through with no errors before i stopped it. Also ran Windows Memory diagnostic with no problems. I'm only able to play games or run Sandra with only 1 DIMM installed.

Any ideas?

With this MB with more than one module you may need to set the memory Freq at DDR333, but I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www..memtest.org to be sure.

I'll try upping the VDIMM when i get home, but I don't think running Memtest is going to help me, since currently with stock voltages they pass memtest with both installed...

Thats what confuses me about this problem. I'm able to run memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic with no errors with both DIMMS installed.

That might suggest a power problem either with the MB or the PSU. But please try upping the voltage and see what happens. It may also be a driver issue as well.

Upping the voltage seems to have fixed it. Hopefully I can still run the RAM with the timings i had before. Thanks for the help.

Archived