Corsair Community

Hello there, i would like to know how to calculate what PSU i wuld require based on the specs of the current build, I have Asus rog strix z690-f, rtx 3090, 4 ram slots up to 128gb, Corsair capellix elite (2 fans), 8 fans, 4 mounts for SSDs and 2 bays for either 3.5/2.5 ssds/hdd.

• 1 month later...

I am running a similar system and I'm powering it off an AX1600i.

the fans, cooler, SSDs, RAM and all that, you can almost ignore when it comes to power usage, they are a drop in the bucket 🙂

you forgot to mention the second most power hungry component which is the CPU hehe

from your hardware profile, 12900K. you may be stretching it a bit with a 850W PSU, but 1000 and above i'd say you're totally fine.

A 3090, you can round up power usage to 400W if it doesn't have a crazy VBIOS made for cold climates, and the 12900K 270 - 280W tops. Add some headroom for the 3090.

Anything using 5V doesn't count in the PSU's rating, since the rating is the power of the 12V rail(s) alone.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:51 PM, LeDoyen said:

Anything using 5V doesn't count in the PSU's rating, since the rating is the power of the 12V rail(s) alone.

True ... but that doesn't mean that you can disregard it completely. It's actually pretty easy, these days, to overload a 5V rail.

Zotty, come out of this body! 😛