Corsair Community

What is the best setup ?

Psycrovv

Im about to have a look on corsair fans and commanders.

I would need 7 RGB fans and 2 commanders of some sort.

There are 2 commanders like the commander pro and the commander core xt.

I understand that if i buy a pack of twin fans then i get a rgb hub incl.

So i will have plenty of these but i would need 2 of these connected to 2 commander pro´s

Thats 4 boxes total. But with commander core xt i can use only 2 of these it seems.

My motherboard got 2 usb headers and i also have a nzxt usb header splitter connected. So plenty of headers.

What is best to have installed ?

2 commander pro with 2 node controllers

2 commander xt core only.

With 7 fans I am not sure you really need a second Commander.  It would be much easier on space and the wallet to use a single 2 way PWM splitter to accommodate fan #7 for speed control. 

Commander Pro is 6 PWM/DC fan headers, 4 temp monitor ports, 2 USB passthrough connectors, and 2 RGB LED hubs.  Note you cannot connect RGB fans directly to a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro.  They use a RGB Lighting Hub to boost the 5v power.  Those come in multipacks of ML-RGB and LL fans, but not other types.  

Commander XT is 6 PWM only headers, 2 temp monitor ports, 1 USB passthrough, 1 LED port, but 6 direct fan RGB ports.  Any Corsair 5v RGB fan can connect directly to this.  

The RGB 7th fan is trickier.  There are 3rd party RGB splitters that will twin it with another fan.  This may or may not be appealing depending on the patterns you like and where the fan is located.  The only other option is 2 controllers and then you split the fans 6+1, 5+2, or 4+3 depending on type and location.  Each controller acts like an individual lighting group.  The answer to this and the controller type may depend on what fans you are purchasing.  

• Thanks 1

Ok i understand.

I got a xl meshify 2 case from fractal,

So there are plenty of room in the bottom of the case or else i will find a way to install it in the back plate.

I dislike having 2 fans that operates on the same effects/pattern. Getting 2 core xt controllers seems like the way to go.

But more expensive like you state.

What is the ID port for on core xt commander ?

Also about this unit

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/CORSAIR-%2B5V-Load-Balancer/p/CP-8920275

Can i install it with my seasonic psu ? Since i got a small phantek led strip controller that emits coil noise and this unit could reduce that perhaps.

You may not need the second Commander XT depending on what Corsair fans you purchase.  Multi-packs of QL, SP-Elite, and ML-Elite come with a Lighting Node Core RGB controller.  Using the PWM splitter for speed control and you're done.  LL multi-packs still come with the RGB Lighting Hub, but that can connect directly to Commander XT's "LED port".  That is a nice solution because it only requires the one device, both in terms of mounting in the case and management in CUE.  I can't think of a good reason to get a second Commander XT unless you are planning on adding 3+ more fans in the neat future and there still might be a more efficient way to do it.

The ID port on the Commander XT is to connect special devices for lighting control.  The new 5000T case is an example of this and the built in case panel LEDs connect to that port without requiring a standalone controller specific to the unit.  

I don't know much about the load balancer.  In theory it should not matter what PSU you have.  Based on 7 RGB fans (even QL), I am not sure that is something you need.  Your PSU can handle that 5v load without any effort.  I have the same PSU and often run 9 QL fans, CPU/GPU blocks, reservoir RGB, RAM, and a few external strips.  I still have 5v amperage to spare.  The "balancer" converts extra top end 12v power into 5v power.  This could be useful if you have a weak 5v rail on a small to mid-wattage PSU (<15A on 5v) or if you have the monolithic mother of all RGB setups and your 1500W PSU is still pulling hard on the 5v with 30A.  

This is with the master override scene set to 100% white on all devices, or highest possible load.  Still good numbers.

Screenshot (293).jpg

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 1

Ok i see that i will get at least 3 of these Lighting Node Core RGB controllers buying 3 of the 2 x 140 mm twin sets and 1 single 140 mm

The reason for having 2 commander xt is so i only need 2 sata powered boxes. With the other suggestion, then i need 1 commander core xt with splitter and 2 of the Lighting Node Core RGB controllers Thats 3 boxes and 3 sata powers with 3 usb 2 ports. Then i can cut it down to using 2 of each.

Thats just what i was thinking would be smartest but not cheapest 🙂

Im also planning on getting these mini triangles they just released. So sparing some sata connections would be great.

5000T looks damm nice !

Regarding the load balancer then i was gona test it so see if it would reduce coilnoise on a phantek argb controller i got that can add up to 7 neon strips.

https://www.phanteks.com/PH-CTHUB_DRGB.html

This box gets power from a sata port and from the box there is this coilnoise. So for now i use a argb splitter cable that also works and i dont have coilnoise.

But i still want to find out if its my psu or if its phantek hardware fault since phantek supporters tells me it can be psu related..

Thanks for helping me out so far. Great answers!

Ok. I’ve seen the other post. It’s possible that’s enough LEDs to make the load balancer useful. 

You should still be at two SATA connectors for the above. 1 Commander XT. 1 Lighting Node Core. That’s capacity for 12 RGB fans. You still need to split the 7 into two groups across those two controllers. This keeps the LED port free for the strips adapter. You use a simple Y-PWM adapter for the 7 fan. No powered PWM hub needed. 2 SATA and in theory 1 usb since the LNCore can piggyback on the Com XT’s usb passthrough. You are not likely going to be successful trying to use the XT passthrough with another XT. 

The only reason to get another Commander XT would be if you needed the second LED port to break those strips into 2 groups. I’m not really the LED guy here, but there are several others who may be able to answer that question.  

• Thanks 1

Yes ur right i forgot about the commander xt having rgb ports for the fans. So only these mentioned are needet.

Cant you chain the core xt to the other core xt units usb passthru ?

So i should use this loader to connect the core xt due to my 234 leds ?

Hmm So using the one rgb port in the commander xt port for my 234 leds might not work in Icue since i heard the max leds on one channel you can program is 138 leds using the 1.4 m led strip in Icue ?!

I am concerned about your ability to generate the required number of LEDs using the CUE program. That’s why a second Commander XT might be needed. Lighting Node Core devices do not offer the LED port needed for this. 

We are still learning, but combining multiple Commander XT or Core devices on the same usb path often results in one of them not registered as a device.  The XT seems to use more bandwidth and I would expect trouble if you chain them directly. That is a completely passive USB port so it is like putting them on an unpowered splitter. That usually results in trouble. 

• Thanks 1

I see...So i might aswell buy 2 commander xt and bypass the lighting node. I got 2 usb ports on my maximus extreme XIII.

And i just connected a nxzt usb adapter with 3 usb heads, since i figured i might need many of these in the future.

For now my 5 Neon strips are connected to a 3 way argb splitter that goes in to my motherboard argb port.

Then i need to chain my neon strips together in a way so they are connected in to 2 argb ports. Deviding em up in half the leds maybe ?

Where i use 2 of these https://piratedog.tech/collections/frontpage/products/corsair-rgb-to-aura-mystic-light-motherboard-a-rgb-adapter

To connect to each commander xt that uses they own usb head on the adfapter from nxzt or what they are called 😄

Do i still need that loader for this operation ?

I just noticed this : This adapter does not work with the new Commander Core

https://piratedog.tech/collections/rgb-adapters/products/corsair-rgb-to-aura-mystic-light-motherboard-a-rgb-adapter

https://piratedog.tech/collections/rgb-adapters/products/corsair-rgb-to-jst-sm-addressable-rgb-adapter

But on the picture of the adapters there is a small text that says it works with commander core xt..

It does work with the Commander Core IF you have firmware v2.6.201 and iCUE version 4.16. iCUE will force the firmware update, btw.

There will be limits as well as each port can only be a single fan - so no more than 34 LEDs can be addressed on a single port.

• Like 1

Commander Core and Commander Core XT are siblings, but I usually drop the "Core" from the XT name to differentiate them.  The Commander Core is the power/control unit for the Elite AIOs.  It has a mini 24 pin power cable in the side that powers the pump.  That doesn't leave a lot of room for extras.  The Commander XT takes the base circuit board, drops the AIO power/lighting, and then adds the USB passthrough and LED channel in the new space.  It will work with those adapters.  

The LC100 triangles need a LED channel, like on the Commander XT, Commander Pro, or Lighting Node Pro.  It is not specific to the device it in the box.  

It's starting to look like you may have grander plans later and so the extra LED channel on a 2nd XT may have value.  However, there are reported issues with using multiples and it is not something solved with the powered USB hub that helps with the AMD voltage drop issues.  This appears to be about bandwidth and you will want one of them directly connected to the MB and the other on the USB hub.  Split them up.  That said, if you are stuck with a LNPro in the LC100 pack, that is 2 more LED channels in a box about the size of a matchbox vs the larger XT.  There are multiple ways to hook most things up.  I only see the 2nd Commander XT as essential if you are going to add more fans.  Most everything else can be addressed in multiple other ways.  

• Thanks 1

Ok i start to get the hang of it 🙂

I was told the LN pro only supports 120 leds compared to the commander xt that has 264 leds.

But ur right i guess i can add alot of boxes if i need more rgb.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Fans/RGB-%26-LED-Fans/iCUE-QL-RGB-PWM-Fan/p/CO-9050100-WW

By the way i found another issue that concerns me. Now i see these QL140 RGB 140mm fans has 68 leds and the commander xt supports 264 leds but 6 x 68 is 408. So 1 commander xt wont be able to support 6 of these fans rgb leds ? Then i must devide em up in 2 or 3 commanders xt since i also need the strips connected  ? Actualy i cant even connect more than 3 fans in each controller since thats 204 and 4 fans is 272. Or am i wrong here ?

Or then i need to hook up 2 of the lighting node pro with 2 commander xT. Thats total 4 usb ports...

Sorry for asking alot but everytime i get it, then i see another challenge.

10 minutes ago, Psycrovv said:

I was told the LN pro only supports 120 leds compared to the commander xt that has 264 leds.

First, I think that's the Commander PRO, not the Commander Core XT. Different devices.

Second, just because it supports generating the data signal for 264 LEDs doesn't mean that you can power all of them safely from the Commander Pro.

• Like 1

the QL140 2 fan kit has 68 LEDs... but each fan has 34. that's 204 LEDs for 6 fans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Psycrovv said:

It is the commander core xt that has 264 maybe the pro also has the same

You still need to consider power. You cannot power that number of LEDs from a single SATA port.

Edited by DevBiker
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

the QL140 2 fan kit has 68 LEDs... but each fan has 34. that's 204 LEDs for 6 fans.

AAh so the 68 was for 2 fans since its a twin pack. I see.

And yes i will prolly need to use 2 or 3 sata powered rails or port.

Or there is the loader i can add i guess.