Corsair Community

H150i Elite LCD and QL120 Fans - Connect to MB

Kully

Got a question here. I have 6 QL120 fans and a H150i Elite LCD. I know these already come with some commanders, but would I need to buy anything else to have all the RGB and fans sync?

I do eventually want 9 QL120 fans

Edited by Kully

You need fan power/speed control for 9 fans.  That is either: 2 Commander Pro/Core/XT or 1 Commander Core + PWM hub that acts as a powered splitter.  This is a small circuit board that takes 1 control header from the Commander and provides it to 4-10 other fans which will all run the same speed as directed.  Decision might be made in conjunction with the result below, but you always need 1 Commander Core to power the pump.

RGB - You need two controllers for 9 fans (6 fan max per controller).  One will be the Commander Core that is required.  The other can be: a) One of the Lighting Node Cores that come in the QL multi-packs.  You then use the PWM repeater option above.  Or you can you can use a Commander Core XT, which is the standalone version of the Commander Core (no pump power).  It has 6 PWM and 6 RGB ports on the sides and resolves both issues.  

Keep in mind each controller will act like a separate lighting group and if using two Commanders each will need its own control source.  Usually how you split things will depend on how you want to group the fans, however in this case the split is clear. Put the ML-Elite from the AIO on one RGB controller and the QL on the other.  Their LED geometry is too different and QL fans have several unique effects you will want to use.  When the time comes to swap in 3 more QL, then you will have a decision to make on grouping.  That change will not require any more hardware nor alters what you choose now.  It will be a straight swap.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I really appreciate the post, I actually understood what I need to do now. Thanks.

I ended up buying a commander core xt to help with this setup, and to make things easier for me in the future.

Edited by Kully