Corsair Community

H80i V2 very hot CPU, cools when tapping radiator

i have a 2-3 year old H80i V2 running on my ryzen 5 1600. over the years i cleaned it reguarly and i mounted it in a way in which air gets trapped in the radiator end tank which does not have the hoses hooked up to (hoses down and the end tank is above pump height). no air should be trapped in the pump.

i had the pump running in quiet mode almost all the time, now i need to put it in performance mode to get ~40 C at idle. before i in quiet mode it was around 30 C with similar room temps. i now have the radiator sitting outside the case above pump height and i can barely get beneath 40 C.

with prime 95 i managed to get a thermal shut down, then i found out tapping the radiator rahter violently is able to drop the temps around 10-15 C. the intake hose from the pump/cpu is warm but the exhauste hose back to the pump/cpu is cold in comparison and the radiator only pushes out warm air on the first half of the intake side, so essentially one quarter of the whole thing, just after the coolant gets into the radiator.
coolant temps dont really go above 50 C at 90 C cpu temp either, even though i just applied fresh thermal paste while troubleshooting this today.
so basically i have a hot cpu, rather cold coolant and basically a very restricted coolant flow, as far as i can diagnose this.

is my pump dying?

is my radiator clogged?

would be nice to get some advice.

thanks in advance ^^

(might switch to an aircooler i have purchased a while ago in case of this aio dying on me)

2 hours ago, LeeLaand said:

is my radiator clogged?

Yes. This is how most AIOs come to their end. You’ve got a partial blockage around the narrow cpu block and is caused the fluid to slow too much in that area. Increasing pump speed helps for now, but this is not a treatable condition and usually deteriorates further over time. If it were bubbles you’d hear it. This is a silent problem, other than the noticeable increase in fan speed to match the elevated coolant levels. 

If you still in your warranty period, contact Corsair Support. Otherwise it’s time to start looking for a replacement. 

oh, okay. nice to know thank you (:
yea, after writing this forum post i switched to said air cooler.
sadly i am out of warranty.
do you know what kind of debris is building up inside a closed system?
courious to know.

Small bits of flux from radiator manufacturing, anti-corrosion elements falling out of solution, combination of the two. The GTX/V2 series saw more of this than any of the other AIO lines, but ultimately this is how a closed loop “zero maintenance” system is probably going to end. These AIO CLCs have a definite  shelf life. 

Warranty is typically 5 years in most countries, but buying second hand may alter that. 

Edited by c-attack

Okay, nice to know.

My next watercooling solution wo be a custom made one I guess.

Yea, here in germany we have a minimum of 2 years of warranty. I will have a Look at the buy date and the actually warranty on this product.

Thank you for all the information. ^^

7 hours ago, LeeLaand said:

My next watercooling solution wo be a custom made one I guess.

Just keep in mind that custom loops require more regular/routine maintenance, not less than an AIO.