Corsair Community

Corsair HX1200 - plugs - cables can be put in other way around

Hi

While changing the power supply I noticed a big manufacturing error, cables can be put in other way around so much that only the plastic tab is keeping them from going even further in.

How I even managed to do that is if you look at the picture of SATA plugs, top one has notch at the top and bottom 2 notch at the bottom. I just wanted to reposition the SATA cable from top to buttom plug and of course I didn't expect it to be upside down, so I just plugged it in, then noticed some resistance.

I then learned the plastic walls in the connector are too thin and those non-square holes actually don't prevent the square to go in, cable still goes in up to the notch, would probably go all the way in if not for the notch, though with some force.

I think Corsair should look into this and make better plugs. Example of good plugs are on GPUs.

Plus I don't have to mention the actual cables are stiff as hell in the end. Good luck plugging the 8-pin CPU connector behind the motherboard with a case that doesn't have at least 10cm space above the motherboard. My Corsair 600T has like 3cm and it was impossible for me to plug it in after 5-10min, so I just connected it from the front over the GPU.

Also if the CPU cable was 10cm longer it wouldn't hurt a bit, now it is just barely long enough, it goes completely diagonally from the PSU, there is no slack whatsover. From the front it has more slack so I at least could lead it over the back fan.

Corsair uses 3rd party made connectors, they are probably Molex i imagine. The bottomline is, if something doesn't fit, do not force it.

You could install GPU cables on the motherboard and fry stuff if you only go by how easy connectors are to cram into a socket 😉

It's not a manufacturing error. the shape is made to not fit if not in the correct orientation. if it doesn,'t go in, rotate, do not force.

Now, the stiff cable, i personally believe it's a little scheme to push sales of cable kits, because i have no idea how such a stupid design with hot snot and heat shrink tubing  could have passed. No one who ever build ONE computer would have deemed that acceptable.

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

It's not a manufacturing error. the shape is made to not fit if not in the correct orientation. if it doesn,'t go in, rotate, do not force.

Yeah, but that shape doesn't do nothing in this case. Even if you don't force it, it goes in 2mm without problems. If you try to plug PCIe into GPU, it doesn't go in even 0,01mm turned upside down. That's because all connector walls are thicker and made with correct tolerances.

Seasonic is the OEM I believe, so it's their fault actually.