Corsair Community

5000T Case and Commander XT issues

Copied from the Discussion forum...

Hi,

Recently set up my new 5000T. I switched out the LL120s in the front for QL120s and added one of the LL120s to the rear exhaust. I added those 4 fans to the Commander XT. Everything lights up in default rainbow mode. I've also added a H150i LCD and Dominator RAM. The Commander Core, LCD and RAM are seen fine in iCUE (4.21.173). However, I'm not seeing any of the fans connected to the Commander XT or the 5000T case. I have the H150i and the Commander Core going through the USB splitter to one of the USB 2.0 MB headers (MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk DDR4). The Commander XT is connected alone to the other USB 2.0 header. I do see under devices that the Commander XT is getting the dreaded "Driver error" notice. 

I've seen a lot of this issue, but no resolutions. Any ideas? 

2 hours ago, dexx1102 said:

However, I'm not seeing any of the fans connected to the Commander XT or the 5000T case. I have the H150i and the Commander Core going through the USB splitter to one of the USB 2.0 MB headers (MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk DDR4).

I assume this means you do not see the Commander XT controller in CUE as device and thus this prevents you from accessing or controlling what is connected to that controller.  "Not seeing the fans", like when you are looking at the Commander XT page and it shows nothing connected is a different issue.

USB splitter?  Can you elaborate?  It's likely you have the same issue as every one else posting about this.  A Commander Core + Commander XT + LCD top on one USB 2 path is too much.  We are seeing a lot of this on the new Z690.  Not clear if there is less 2,0 bandwidth or the three devices are really that much more, but the two solutions people have employed thus far are to:

1) Break apart the three devices and try to run to separate USB motherboard ports.  No one has 3 USB 2.0 ports, so Core + LCD on one and XT on the other.

2) Get a USB 3->2 (internal) conversion cable so you can use the larger bandwidth on the USB 3 path.  

25 minutes ago, c-attack said:

I assume this means you do not see the Commander XT controller in CUE as device and thus this prevents you from accessing or controlling what is connected to that controller.  "Not seeing the fans", like when you are looking at the Commander XT page and it shows nothing connected is a different issue.

USB splitter?  Can you elaborate? 

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Your assumption is correct. No XT in iCUE at all.

I tried two different paths with this. The first was to connect the LCD female USB to the male connector on the XT USB cable (as described in the XT documentation). That still let me see the LCD in iCUE, but still no XT in iCUE. The Core was connected to its own header. That gave me full control over the LCD and the fans in the H150i.

Second, and currently, I used the 2-> 1 USB splitter included with the H150i for the LCD and the Core, and connected the XT to its own MB header. Similar results as the first set up in iCUE. 

1) Break apart the three devices and try to run to separate USB motherboard ports.  No one has 3 USB 2.0 ports, so Core + LCD on one and XT on the other.

This is the current set up I have now.

2) Get a USB 3->2 (internal) conversion cable so you can use the larger bandwidth on the USB 3 path.  

I saw this idea in other posts. But disabling all the front ports on the case seems to defeat the purpose. I have 1 USB 3 header on my MB, so I'm already losing two case ports at this point (On a side note, I really wish the 5000T documentation had mentioned the two USB 3 cables from the case. It only shows one in the documentation).

Try to avoid using the passthrough port on the XT.  It is a physical passthrough, so that makes it like a splitter.  The interesting part is you don't seem to have trouble with the LCD top.  That's usually what vexes everyone else.  Regardless, the splitters aren't going to help and make the traffic additive on that line.  However, it seems prudent to try connecting the XT directly to the MB, either without the Com Core or XT to make sure it works at all.  If it is not recognized with no other devices in play, then that seems like a hardware problem and all the rest of this won't matter.  That said, if you are seeing the 'driver error 10' like most others, then it seems like the bandwidth issue.  The other thing I just realized is your case panel lighting is linked to the XT and I am not sure we have a good idea of the resources that uses.

Two other possible workarounds:

1) USB 2 internal to external USB A type plug.  You route it around to the back of the I/O.  Most boards use a different MB path for that traffic, but obivously this may be untidy or not practical at all depending on your case.

2) Do you need the Commander XT?  How many total fans are in play?  We might be able to simply things to eliminate the need for it.  I started to work out another arrangement for you, but I now realize you need to ID port on the XT to control the case panel lights.  So, we do need to figure this out.  I would start a support ticket with Corsair Support as well (link at footer of page).  This Com Core, XT, LCD top traffic is a live issue.  I have been wondering about changes to the Z690 chipset.  The intel boards never gave people problems like this, but I am wondering if some USB 2 bandwidth was given over to newer tech protocols on that board.  Either way, the MB is not going anywhere so we need to figure out a practical solution for this very obvious combination of gear.  

Edited by c-attack

Thanks again for your insight. I ordered both the USB 3 header -> 2 header converter as well as a USB A to 9-pin. Both should get here tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have an update.

But I was going down the same route you were in regards to the XT and the case lights. I disconnected both the ID port cable and the 3-pin RGB going to the XT, but that just made everything go bad. The LCD gave a pump error (a spiral, not the triangle of doom) and the MLs on the radiator went full speed. And, interestingly, the 4QLs on the case front and the LL in the rear exhaust all went white. I thought I looked over the entire routing of the ID and RGB cables and didn't see any connection to anything other than to the RGB case strips. Not sure why that would would affect everything else. Almost like the XT connectivity is still functioning in some capacity.

The case panel strips should not function without the ID port, but I also think the ID port is not exactly like the standard RGB LED port on a Commander Pro or LN Pro where you disconnect and it drops out of CUE.  There is some more elaborate communication on the line and unplugging it live may (did) disrupt CUE.  The underlying reasoning for that is probably over my head, but in practical terms that XT needs to be able to communicate with the MB with the ID port in place or it doesn't have a value to you.  So it may work without the ID port, but that hardly seems like an acceptable compromise.  

Update: Got the USB3 -> 2 converter this afternoon. Put the LCD and Core onto the MB USB headers and the XT on the adapter. Everything lights up correctly. 5000T shows up in iCUE. However, now I have the red triangle of doom on the LCD screen. I'll go through the steps to fix that later, but after a few tries already, I'm not optimistic. The XT now shows up correctly in the Bluetooth "Other Devices" and the USB port in Device Manager is no longer throwing an error.

Two steps forward, one step back. I'll update tomorrow with the USB A to 9-pin. It would be very nice to have at least 2 ports back on the case front.

The red triangle for the LCD is not fatal. Usually initialization miss. Try full shutdown, flip the PSU off and wait 10-15 sec, then boot normally. That should force the Com Core to reload. If it does not work, then you are chasing the magic combination like most other people in those threads. 

Update: The USB A to 9-pin was a bust. No joy on any of the ports I tried on the MB IO Shield. I'm going to stick with the USB3 -> 2 header converter for now.  Case lights, iCUE and the pump are working. Those are the important things. Case front ports and the red triangle on the pump LCD are the issues now. And I can live with those until we get the new firmware.

Just want to add thanks, c-attack. You're really trying to help people, and it is appreciated. Now it's time to practice patience and enjoy my new PC. 

Interesting on the USB A external fail.  I wonder if this does mean there is less 2.0 bandwidth on the newer boards?  It would make sense as they allocate more lanes for faster communication protocols.  

So still now LCD pump top?  If you have not tried it already, next time you power down flip the PSU off and then physically reseat the LCD top so the connection between base and top is broken.  Then flip back on.  This has worked for several users.  It is also the only way I was able to recreate this issue when initially testing (by deliberately messing with the top).  Other possible options are to try without the Com Core splitter (Com Core and LCD direct to MB USB 2), now that you have moved the Com XT (?) over to 3.0.