Corsair Community

Fans not fully lighting

brosephus

Hello!

I recently built my second gaming rig, and my first with gratuitous amounts of RBG and am hoping the community here can help me out!

I have a total of 9 Corsair LED fans installed - 3 ML120s and 6 SP120s. Three are controlled by a Lighting Node Core, and the other six are through a Commander Core. When using iCue everything runs fine, but if I try any non-Corsair software (OpenRGB and Signal RGB are the two main ones I've tried), only three of the 8 LEDs on the fans connected through the Commander Core illuminate. The software recognizes that there are 8 on each fan and can configure settings for the other LEDs, but only the three actually light up. I'm interested in using other software because I have RBG memory and a GPU that are from other manufacturers and aren't iCUE compatible. I'm also considering trying to automate some configurations using the OpenRGB SDK, possibly in combination with AutoHotKey or something like that. Overall I don't really mind iCue, but I'm not really happy with it being my only option if for no other reason than that I just want to have full control of my own hardware. 

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with Corsair fans? I have another Lighting Node Pro sitting around, so I suppose I could hook that up to test, but I don't have a spare USB2 header so I would need to get a splitter. If anyone has had similar experiences I'd appreciate any insight.

1) Can you verify exactly which SP and ML fans you have?  It seems like you have the 8 LED ML-Elite from the Elite AIO and SP-Elite, but this is critical. Sliding a ML-RGB (4 led) or SP-RGB into the mix would throw the lights off in this way. 

2) Can you list which fans are on which controller?  3 x ML-Elite on Commander Core, 6 x SP-Elite on Lighting Node Core, etc. 

3) The Com Core has independent RGB headers. A bad fan on this controller should be localized to that fan only. The Lighting Node Core is serial.  A bad fan on port 2 may make it partially lit and knock out any fans downstream in ports 3-6. 

On 3/5/2022 at 7:59 AM, c-attack said:

1) Can you verify exactly which SP and ML fans you have?  It seems like you have the 8 LED ML-Elite from the Elite AIO and SP-Elite, but this is critical. Sliding a ML-RGB (4 led) or SP-RGB into the mix would throw the lights off in this way. 

2) Can you list which fans are on which controller?  3 x ML-Elite on Commander Core, 6 x SP-Elite on Lighting Node Core, etc. 

3) The Com Core has independent RGB headers. A bad fan on this controller should be localized to that fan only. The Lighting Node Core is serial.  A bad fan on port 2 may make it partially lit and knock out any fans downstream in ports 3-6. 

You are correct on the fans - I have six SP120 Elite and three ML120, all of which are 8-LED fans. The Commander Core has three of each, and the lighting node has the remaining three SP120s. 

OK, so everything works correctly in CUE but not in 3rd party software.  All we can do on this end is make sure you have the hardware properly connected and it is functional.  That seems to be true.  For control on other programs, you'll need to reach out to those developers or any support sites they provide.  However, fans not fully lighting in a software only setting is may be related to the questions asked above.  Make sure you have properly designated those fans are "8 LED fans" or whatever the other programs use for that type.  

Edited by c-attack