Corsair Community

Tyan Thunder K8W

J1NG

Hi all, Just wondering whether there are any problems with this board and 8 sticks of Corsair's 3200 512MB Registered ECC Low Latency RAM. I've tried it with 4 and it was fine, but when I paired them along with some smaller RAM modules (4x256) the system would only recognise 2.7GB (Used 4x512 and 2x256 and worked fine). So I was wondering whether it's this board in using all eight dimm slots, or the smaller RAM modules causing problems. Tyan Thunder K8W (rev 0.3) BIOS: 1.0.1 AMD Opteron 1.4Ghz (x2) 2GB (2x TwinX1024RE-3200LL) J1NG

• 2 weeks later...
As per your advice, I've checked the RAM using the tester, and found no problems with the RAM. I contacted Tyan, who told me that they have not heard of my problem, and to test the system with RAM of the same type (in all the slots no less) to see what happens. So after getting more Corsair TwinX 1024RE-3200LL RAM (8x512MB total), I tried again. Well, the same thing happens, almost. With 6x512MB (4x512 and 2x512), the system POSTS with 2784MB and is shown to be 2784MB in the BIOS. With 8x512MB (4x512 and 4x512), the system POSTS with 2560MB, but the BIOS shows the full 4096MB. Anyway, I was just wondering whether you had tried this RAM/CPU/Mobo combination and whether you got normal results, or got something similiar to mine. Tyan Thunder K8W rev .03 (BIOS 1.01) 4GB (4x TwinX1024RE-3200LL) AMD Opteron 240 1.4Ghz x2 Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB Thanks for the help. J1NG

*Update* Well, I've just received word from Tyan, that this is a currently known problem, but has only been heard of when running 4GB of RAM. (You get the problem when using 4GB RAM). Whilst my initial 3GB was unheard of at the time. The email has said that this is a work in progress and will be kept posted upon. So, in short, it appears that if you want this board, or already have it, consider 2GB-, or 4GB+ for your setup. Hope this helps other Thunder K8W users. :): J1NG

• 1 month later...
Would like to post one last update. That if you are still having troubles with the Tyan K8W board and RAM sizes between 2.5 and 4+ GB in size not being detected properly, you should update your BIOS to version 1.01i(beta) or later. This BIOS should sort your problems out. J1NG

Archived