Corsair Community

FANS won't change speed - Commander Core XT and iCUE 4

Hi!  
I installed brand new yesterday the Core XT and SP140 RGB Pro fan.  The original 2 fans i have unplugged from the mobo and plugged into the Core XT.  However, whatever i try, the fans remain on high speed.  I have tried changing profiles, modifying the software, uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing.  

i suspect that SP Pro fan is a 3 pin fan (DC controlled).

the Commander core XT is a PWM controller (for 4 pin fans), so it can't vary voltage to change the speed of DC controlled fans. PWM fans require a constant 12V supply, which is why old style 3 pin fans plugged on a PWM controller will always run at full speed.

If that's the issue you'll want to either :

-return the cocore XT and get a Commander Pro that can control 3 pin DC fans

or

-Get PWM fans ^^'

Edited by LeDoyen

• Corsair Employees

As LeDoyen pointed out those are 3-pin DC fans which are not supported on the Commander Core XT as it only supports PWM fans. If you wish to control the fan speed through the iCUE software you will either need to return the Commander Core XT and purchase the original Commander Pro controller, or return the fans and purchase PWM fans instead.

Ah, many thanks indeed!  I'll return that bad boy and get the other one!!

On 2/28/2022 at 7:25 PM, Corsair Notepad said:

As LeDoyen pointed out those are 3-pin DC fans which are not supported on the Commander Core XT as it only supports PWM fans. If you wish to control the fan speed through the iCUE software you will either need to return the Commander Core XT and purchase the original Commander Pro controller, or return the fans and purchase PWM fans instead.

I switched from Pro to XT because the Pro was causing problems to my USB BUS with my ASUS mainboard (which is a widely known issue as google research have shown, that havent got adressed to this very day...) and the XT as the newer product and at the roughly same price is capable of less?! This is a pretty bad design decision there tbh. But hey, the XT finally managed to get all the components to light up in the right color, which the Pro didnt seem to be capable of. Well, it was capable of it but lost it due to several resets the Pro caused to my USB BUS as I mentioned above...at this point I have to admit that I am pretty disappointed.

It is because it's a new product that it doesn't support 3 pin DC fans i suppose. This type of fan is pretty much used only on old computers where PWM wasn't available. it's a design that nobody uses nowadays on consumer grade PCs. Whenever people have the choice it's always better to get PWM fans. they are more efficient to drive.

DC fans require dropping voltage on the controller, which causes heat losses. Motherboards do it fine, but the CoPro had some issues with transistors blowing up when driving DC fans (which is why splitters should not be used with it).

Another design limitation it created was that even when using PWM fans you could not create PWM fan curves with the CoPro, because it supports DC fans too. you had to do RPM based fan curves which was very annoying to say the least when you use fans of different size or max speeds.

The Core XT solves all these problems by being PWM only. More reliable hardware, easier speed control in iCUE, and even saves you cable clutter by not needing a RGB fan hub.

I guess the main problem is clearly stating in the box or in the website that it is a PWM only controller. there's just a mention that it can control "up to 6 PWM fans", and the characteristics simply states it is icue compatible.. a bit slim.