Jump to content
Corsair Community

Installing a CORSAIR H100I ELITE CPLX WT COOLR - I have 3 questions


Recommended Posts

I am installing a new Elite Capellix.  I read the instruction manual and watched a half dozen youtube installs, but I still have some questions.

My case (a LianLi Lancool II Mesh Performance) has a fan speed control switch on the front of the console.  If I plug the 3 case fans, as well as the 2 H100i fans into the commander core, does that mean I will not be able to use the case's fan speed switch?

After reading and watching lots of opinions regarding outtake vs. intake, top vs. front, I believe the best configuration in my build is outtake at the top.  If so, am I better off placing the fans at the top, with the radiator below the fans (pull) or the opposite (push)?

The instructions say to connect the pump tach cable to the CPU_FAN header.  My motherboard has a CPU_FAN header, as well as CPU_FAN1, CPU_FAN2, CPU_FAN3 and AIO_PUMP headers.  Which is the one I should connect to?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, haroldbrand said:

My case (a LianLi Lancool II Mesh Performance) has a fan speed control switch on the front of the console.  If I plug the 3 case fans, as well as the 2 H100i fans into the commander core, does that mean I will not be able to use the case's fan speed switch?

Correct.  The Commander Core is the fan speed controller for any fans connected to its PWM ports and it will preform this job for the two radiator fans.  Do note the Com Core is a PWM only controller, so if those front fans are 3 pin DC motors, they need to stay on the Lian Li control switch.

 

19 hours ago, haroldbrand said:

After reading and watching lots of opinions regarding outtake vs. intake, top vs. front, I believe the best configuration in my build is outtake at the top.  If so, am I better off placing the fans at the top, with the radiator below the fans (pull) or the opposite (push)?

I can't really say what the best radiator location will be for the case without knowing the hardware set-up and uses, but as for the fans most people will want them underneath the radiator so it goes top of case->radiator->fans in descending order.  Push vs pull is irrelevant for most fan designs, but what is more noticeable for most users is what happens when you sandwich the fan between two pieces of metal/plastic --- more noise.  You are likely to create a more pleasing level of sound by keeping them under the radiator so the blade only interacts with one surface.  

 

19 hours ago, haroldbrand said:

The instructions say to connect the pump tach cable to the CPU_FAN header.  My motherboard has a CPU_FAN header, as well as CPU_FAN1, CPU_FAN2, CPU_FAN3 and AIO_PUMP headers.  Which is the one I should connect to?

In doesn't matter at all as far as the AIO is concerned and you can not connect it at all and there is no change to operation.  That tach wire reports a pump speed to the motherboard.  All of the headers will do that.  However, nearly all motherboards have a safety feature built into the primary CPU_FAN header that will prevent your from booting unless a fan is in place.  This is to stop an attempt to boot up with no cooling mechanism, like the standard air cooler package.  You can disable this if needed, but it still can serve a purpose now.  If the pump does not send a signal back to the MB, it will trigger the BIOS level warning when you try and boot.  This lets you know there is a major issue a good 20-30 seconds before you could load to the desktop and take stock of the coolant temperature.  You'll hear the fans max out as well.  So while unnecessary for operation, the best practice is to connect the tach wire to CPU_FAN (primary) to both satisfy the MB requirement and provide an additional safety protection.  If the case layout does not permit that, no worries and you connect it to somewhere that does reach or not at all.  That wire has no ability to alter pump or fan speed.  

Edited by c-attack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to each of you for your time and expertise in helping me address these concerns.  I am grateful to be part of the Corsair community.  Here's to a successful build!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...