Corsair Community

CPU Overheating and Shutting Down Computer

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong and would appreciate help. My CPU is getting to hot and shutting down my entire system. Here are some of my thoughts:

Potential problems with iCUE H100i Elite Capellix install

1. When I applied thermal paste to CPU, I spread it like butter on bread. I didn't put a dot in the middle like I've seen done elsewhere. If I didn't spread correctly, didn't use enough, or something else - could this be the problem?
  2. I plugged the commander into a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard and to power. I plugged the little tiny cord coming out of the pump into CPU_OPT on my motherboard. Did I plug these in incorrectly?

Software issues:

1. When loading up the iCUE software, I do not see any case fans on there (Default fans with NZXT case). I only see the two radiator fans. That said, the case fans are on - I just don't see them in iCUE. 
  2. I don't see the commander in the software either. I'm not sure this is a problem, but adding in case it is relevant. 

That's all I can think of for now. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2 hours ago, DaddaChum said:

When I applied thermal paste to CPU, I spread it like butter on bread. I didn't put a dot in the middle like I've seen done elsewhere. If I didn't spread correctly, didn't use enough, or something else - could this be the problem?

If you do not have good contact between the cold plate and CPU, you will see some really spikey temperature variations.  Moments of high load are instantly too high (100C+), but if the voltage unloads it almost seems normal.  As you open browsers and such, you get some really high CPU temp spikes for ordinary desktop moves.  It's not likely to be the way you applied the TIM but something with the bracket, mounting posts, or backplate.

The contrasting problem is a coolant temperature or flow issue.  You boot up and it seems normal, but from the moment it powers on the CPU temp starts to build, skipping up at a steady interval.  Once you heat the coolant/cpu temp up, it won't go back down because the fluid in the CPU block is way too warm and not getting to the radiator.  You can see this in CUE with a high 50C+ H100i Elite Temp or in the BIOS as the CPU goes 45.. 50.. 55.. 60.. 65.. etc. while you sit there doing very little.  CPU/Coolant temp always increases and is not spikey like the above issue.  This is a hardware problem and requires a new AIO.

I plugged the commander into a USB 2.0 port on the motherboard and to power. I plugged the little tiny cord coming out of the pump into CPU_OPT on my motherboard. Did I plug these in incorrectly?

Only the SATA for power truly matters, although you want the USB 2 so you can access the device from the software.  The little tach wire from the pump is there to satisfy the motherboard "CPU fan error" boot protection.  It has no impact on pump or fan speed and the AIO does not require it to be connected.  Your MB will insist something is on CPU fan unless you disable that safety feature.

When loading up the iCUE software, I do not see any case fans on there (Default fans with NZXT case). I only see the two radiator fans. That said, the case fans are on - I just don't see them in iCUE. 

PWM control for them would be in the "Cooling" tab for the Commander Core.  However, they must be PWM fans.  I don't know what's on your case.  If they are DC fans they may be stuck at maximum right now.  

I don't see the commander in the software either. I'm not sure this is a problem, but adding in case it is relevant. 

Not relevant for AIO functionality and it should carry on without the USB 2 at all.  However, you do want it so you can have control.  Until you get the Commander Core detected, the fans above will not show or be controllable, as well as Corsair RGB elements.  

What motherboard brand/series are you using?  AMD boards from x470 or newer often have USB 2 detection issues.  Not common on Intel.  Power down completely (PSU switch off) and try a different USB 2 internal header if you have one.  Also, the PSU power cycle should reset the Commander's detection protocol for another attempt.  

16 minutes ago, c-attack said:

If you do not have good contact between the cold plate and CPU, you will see some really spikey temperature variations.  Moments of high load are instantly too high (100C+), but if the voltage unloads it almost seems normal.  As you open browsers and such, you get some really high CPU temp spikes for ordinary desktop moves.  It's not likely to be the way you applied the TIM but something with the bracket, mounting posts, or backplate.

The contrasting problem is a coolant temperature or flow issue.  You boot up and it seems normal, but from the moment it powers on the CPU temp starts to build, skipping up at a steady interval.  Once you heat the coolant/cpu temp up, it won't go back down because the fluid in the CPU block is way too warm and not getting to the radiator.  You can see this in CUE with a high 50C+ H100i Elite Temp or in the BIOS as the CPU goes 45.. 50.. 55.. 60.. 65.. etc. while you sit there doing very little.  CPU/Coolant temp always increases and is not spikey like the above issue.  This is a hardware problem and requires a new AIO.

Only the SATA for power truly matters, although you want the USB 2 so you can access the device from the software.  The little tach wire from the pump is there to satisfy the motherboard "CPU fan error" boot protection.  It has no impact on pump or fan speed and the AIO does not require it to be connected.  Your MB will insist something is on CPU fan unless you disable that safety feature.

PWM control for them would be in the "Cooling" tab for the Commander Core.  However, they must be PWM fans.  I don't know what's on your case.  If they are DC fans they may be stuck at maximum right now.  

Not relevant for AIO functionality and it should carry on without the USB 2 at all.  However, you do want it so you can have control.  Until you get the Commander Core detected, the fans above will not show or be controllable, as well as Corsair RGB elements.  

What motherboard brand/series are you using?  AMD boards from x470 or newer often have USB 2 detection issues.  Not common on Intel.  Power down completely (PSU switch off) and try a different USB 2 internal header if you have one.  Also, the PSU power cycle should reset the Commander's detection protocol for another attempt.  

Wow. Thank you so much for this. I'll work through all of this and see if I resolve the overheating. Thanks again. Really awesome.