Corsair Community

H110i V2 - Impossible to mount on Asus X99 Deluxe (2011-3)

Hello,

For the past week i have been trying to make some sense but nobody seems to be able to help me.

I have the H100i V2 cooler, with mentioned 2011-v3 motherboard. It literally says on the box that this socket is supported.

However it is impossible to mount, the screws barely reach the bracket, i can only screw the two diagonal ones.

I have searched and searched and no mention what exactly is needed, i only found out in another forum that the mounting of 2011 and 2011v3 differs, and i should contact corsair for support, which i am unable to get.

I understand if there are no parts available for it anymore, but can someone at least show me a picture of what is needed? Or perhaps a mod by a user?

I really don't want to dump this beautiful cooler because of this.

Thanks to anyone in advance.

spacer.png

The 2011/3 mounts are ridiculously easy, so if something isn’t lined up or fitting right, then there is a fundamental hardware problem. The 2011/3 mounting post are the shorter ones with one screw end thicker than the other. If those are the ones you have and the pump bracket doesn’t sit right on top perfectly, then something is warped — motherboard, cold plate, posts, something…

2011/3 are top left in picture. 

7 hours ago, c-attack said:

The 2011/3 mounts are ridiculously easy, so if something isn’t lined up or fitting right, then there is a fundamental hardware problem. The 2011/3 mounting post are the shorter ones with one screw end thicker than the other. If those are the ones you have and the pump bracket doesn’t sit right on top perfectly, then something is warped — motherboard, cold plate, posts, something…

2011/3 are top left in picture. 

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply!

Those are the ones i am using, others don't fit anyway.

I have checked multiple times, and i am doing what i am supposed to.

2011-v3 does not require a backplate normally, but do you think that if i tear the x99 socket screw holes of the motherboard and put the backplate in, the screws will reach higher? With the backplate i will be able to use the other screws, not sure if they will reach longer than the 2011 ones.

Again, according to another post i found, 2011 and 2011v3 use different mounting for this model, only noone can tell me what exactly.

I find it a bit extreme that i have to look for support myself, for a product that already mentions that it supports what i have..

Let me know if you have any ideas and thanks again.

3 hours ago, angellorex said:

do you think that if i tear the x99 socket screw holes of the motherboard and put the backplate in, the screws will reach higher?

Absolutely do not do that.  Guaranteed trouble and that Asetek backplate was not meant to keep your CPU socket in place.  

2011 and 2011-3 use the same screws and there is no meaningful difference for that aspect.  Their dimensions are the same, but they use a different pinout underneath.  Critical for CPU contact but not for the cooler, regardless of type.  

I have an X99 and used multiple coolers for it over the years.  They all just slide right on top and screw down.  It's ridiculously easy.  Therefore if you are having trouble, there must be something wrong with the hardware.  The bracket ring could be bent.  The cold plate could be warped.  In theory the motherboard could be warped, but that would be pretty rare on any X99 board which tend to be thicker PCB.  You probably need to take it off and assess.  No matter what, that GTX/v2 cooler is not worth damaging any thing on your motherboard, 7 years old or not.  I would be keen to power that AIO from another source to make sure it works at all.  The GTX/v2 were more problematic than any other Corsair AIO and they have been out of production for a while.  I would give a whole lot of deference to it.

Edited by c-attack

On 2/20/2022 at 1:13 AM, c-attack said:

Absolutely do not do that.  Guaranteed trouble and that Asetek backplate was not meant to keep your CPU socket in place.  

2011 and 2011-3 use the same screws and there is no meaningful difference for that aspect.  Their dimensions are the same, but they use a different pinout underneath.  Critical for CPU contact but not for the cooler, regardless of type.  

I have an X99 and used multiple coolers for it over the years.  They all just slide right on top and screw down.  It's ridiculously easy.  Therefore if you are having trouble, there must be something wrong with the hardware.  The bracket ring could be bent.  The cold plate could be warped.  In theory the motherboard could be warped, but that would be pretty rare on any X99 board which tend to be thicker PCB.  You probably need to take it off and assess.  No matter what, that GTX/v2 cooler is not worth damaging any thing on your motherboard, 7 years old or not.  I would be keen to power that AIO from another source to make sure it works at all.  The GTX/v2 were more problematic than any other Corsair AIO and they have been out of production for a while.  I would give a whole lot of deference to it.

I will just leave the answer to my problem here..

I have taken an H110i from a friend, and used it for some days. This was installed perfectly on first try, but then again it is completely different shape.

As you can see in the photo the length of the H100i compared to h110i is definitely longer. That is why the (same) screws barely reached it.

https://ibb.co/XJGVd1q

What i did and eventually worked, is screw the 2011 screws on the normal X99 holes, but only up to the point that they were just attached, not completely in. That way they were loose, but they stayed in place. With this, the screws surpassed the bracket, and I then put the AIO and screwed the top screws all the way.

I am testing it and seems to work fine.

I probably will never understand how come the same things for the same socket did not work. Was the 2011 v3 support on H100i V2 an error or something?

Sometimes you need your own support i guess..