Corsair Community

Parts compatibility

Hi guys.

I'm planning on updating few parts on my PC and I wanted your input whether these parts are compatible with each other, if all fan connectors (both pwm and rgb) will work together with the commander pro (I think I should get a commander core with the fans, not sure) and if all lights can be synced to each other.

The list is:

- QL fans (6-9 fans)

- Commander pro

- Dominator RAM

- Corsair H150i Elite Capellix

Thank you for your assitance!

• Corsair Employees

Hi TheCohen,

All of those items will definitely work together -- you'd need some sort of RGB controller for the fans in the Commander Pro scenario, so a Commander Core XT is definitely an easier way to go, as this integrates both the fan speed, and RGB control into one module.

Please note that not *every* lighting effect is able to be syncd on every device, but you will be able to sync some lighting effects up between all of that, for sure.

Here is everything you need to know about iCUE lighting:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

• Confused 1

The Commander Core controller in the Elite AIO package will be able to do PWM and RGB control for 6 fans. Since you are pondering 6 vs 9 QL, this probably one of several cases that has 3 banks of 3x120. You really don’t need independent fan control over all 9 fans and can hand off control to a PWM repeater hub. This is effectively a powered splitter that uses 1 control header from the Commander Core and typically can control 4-10 additional fans and is relatively inexpensive. Several of the Corsair 5000/7000 series cases already have on in the box. 

That leaves RGB control, which can be be handled by the Lighting Node Core in any QL “multipack”. However, if you really mean 9 QL and the 3 ML-Elite from the AIO, you may want to make sure you get at least 2 multipacks so you have 2 Lighting Node Core devices. 

9 hours ago, Corsair Blade said:

All of those items will definitely work together -- you'd need some sort of RGB controller for the fans in the Commander Pro scenario, so a Commander Core XT is definitely an easier way to go, as this integrates both the fan speed, and RGB control into one module.

Have I been missing something these past few years? All this time I thought that the Commander Pro was an RGB controller - it does, after all, have 2 RGB Channels on it. Of course, you do need an RGB Fan LED Hub to distribute the RGB signal and power to the fans (which Corsair, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to discontinue) ... the that fan hub is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a controller.

So is the official Corsair word now that the Commander Pro is no longer an RGB controller? Or was it never an RGB controller? I'm so confused right now.

9 hours ago, c-attack said:

The Commander Core controller in the Elite AIO package will be able to do PWM and RGB control for 6 fans. Since you are pondering 6 vs 9 QL, this probably one of several cases that has 3 banks of 3x120. You really don’t need independent fan control over all 9 fans and can hand off control to a PWM repeater hub. This is effectively a powered splitter that uses 1 control header from the Commander Core and typically can control 4-10 additional fans and is relatively inexpensive. Several of the Corsair 5000/7000 series cases already have on in the box. 

That leaves RGB control, which can be be handled by the Lighting Node Core in any QL “multipack”. However, if you really mean 9 QL and the 3 ML-Elite from the AIO, you may want to make sure you get at least 2 multipacks so you have 2 Lighting Node Core devices. 

I plan on using only QL fans. The ML that comes with the AIO will not be used.

The case is Lian Li O11 so I'm planning on putting between 6 to 9 fans in it. I prefer all fans to be the same instead of combining them to have a better sync in the case.

Also, if I understood correct - I get one Commander Core in the AIO so that leaves me with only one Commander Core left to buy, right? (in case I decide to go with more than 6 fans)?

I'm suggesting you not buy a second Commander at all.  You have a less expensive control option with a PWM hub + 1 PWM splitter that is more compact.  You usually can get the triple pack of QL120 for the same per unit price as three singles, so the Lighting Node Core RGB controller in the box is there to use for fans 7-9.  

If for whatever reason you don't want to go that path, you need a Commander Core XT.  That will offer an additional 6 PWM port and 6 RGB ports.  This is not the same as the Commander Core from the AIO kit or the Commander Pro controller.