Corsair Community

Connecting three ML120 Pro fans to the same PWM port of iCUE Commander Pro

Gianluca

Hello,

long story short: I have more fan than PWM ports on my iCUE Commander Pro. Can I connect three ML120 Pro on the same PWM port of my Commander Pro by using two Y splitters in cascade? Any drawback?

The idea would be to group all three fans of each 360 Rad and connect them on the same port.

G.

2 hours ago, Gianluca said:

Can I connect three ML120 Pro on the same PWM port of my Commander Pro by using two Y splitters in cascade?

Not recommended.  It likely won't work and at best may be sporadic control.  You will be better off using two-way splitters to pair two groups of 2 fans.  The triples lead to trouble.  If 2x2 is not enough, then you need a powered PWM hub/repeater to take a larger group off the controller's current load.  

8 hours ago, c-attack said:

Not recommended.  It likely won't work and at best may be sporadic control.  You will be better off using two-way splitters to pair two groups of 2 fans.  The triples lead to trouble.  If 2x2 is not enough, then you need a powered PWM hub/repeater to take a larger group off the controller's current load.  

Thank you

G.

Can I, instead, connect two 140mm fans (ML140 Pro) with a Y splitter on the same Commander Pro PWM port? 

Those are larger than the 120mm and I assume they drag more power, can a single port of the Commander handle them?

Officially splitters are not supported. However, we’ve had several years to assess. Using two way splitters is fine. It’s the triples or more that tend to have control issues and certainly push the amperage total high. Two pairs of splitters (8 fans total) is safe. Don’t use splitters with DC voltage controlled fans  

ML Pro fans will be just fine on a two way PWM splitter, 120 or 140. 

If you really want all three radiator fans on the same header, find an inexpensive PWM repeater hub. This connects to 1 control port on the Commander and has supplemental SATA power. It is effectively a powered three way splitter using the lead fan as the controlling fan. 

The NA-FC1 is a compact, highly flexible controller for 4-pin PWM fans. Its 20 bucks on amazon

Thank you both.
As I have two 360 radiators, I decided to buy a 1-to-10 SATA powered PWM hub and connect all six radiator fans through it and will use the same controlling curve based on the liquid temperature. See below: 

image.png.f1f7e180bc0cd37d24a39853eb37cb2e.png

That one should work just fine.