Corsair Community

H80i - pump speed and cooling

plykkegaard

Hi

I have an older Corsair H80i which have worked well for many years

The cooler is mounted in a new rebuild with an i5 4670 CPU, iCue software is installed
If the pump is in quiet configuration, the pump does not move the water fast enough to be effective (temp is above 90 degrees almost instantly)
With the pump in extreme configuration I have an idle temperature of 36 degrees, the fan configuration does not matter at first glance

The first couple of runs everything seemed to be fine, I installed iCue yesterday to troubleshoot the high CPU temperature

Before I take the whole system apart I just want to know if this is "normal" or I need to reapply the cooling pasta?
CPU and cooler was cleansed and new pasta was applied during reassembly

It is a secondary PC I need for some training and workout sessions, the CPU is adequate for this application

Thanks a lot

/Peter

1 hour ago, plykkegaard said:

If the pump is in quiet configuration, the pump does not move the water fast enough to be effective (temp is above 90 degrees almost instantly)
With the pump in extreme configuration I have an idle temperature of 36 degrees, the fan configuration does not matter at first glance

This is the H80i coming to the end of its useful lifespan. There is a flow restriction in the loop and the lower speed is having trouble getting the liquid through. You might be able to get by using the high speed for a little while longer, but generally this is degenerative and blockage will get worse over time. This is the end fate of most “no maintenance” AIO units since you can’t take it apart and clean the components. 

Oh damn, yeah it makes sense, it is an old unit after all 🙂

Thanks /Peter

I looked through the hidings at home and found a lessed used H100i 
The i5 CPU is to replaced with an i7 4770 and then the cooler can be replaced too

rgds /Peter

New H100i (depending on which model are around 100 bucks) If you want to save money buy Corsair Refurbished