Corsair Community

Advice on sd mem for digital video?

apex

Can someone please give some advice. I need an sd card for my Pentax Optio mx camera for video recording. The manual instructs to use 'modern' cards with 10 mB/s transfer rates. The fastest Corsair card available in my area is only rated at 40x. (150 kb/s x 40=6000 kb/s or approx. 6 mB/s ?)

By my calcluations with a current 128mB card which offers 5 min of record at best quality the camera only throughputs less than 5 mB/sec. Allowing for some overheads is it still reasonable to expect a 40x card to be fast enough for these demands.

I like the reliabilty of corsair memory and would prefer to use this but generic brands are offering 66x cards. Are they just inflating specs?

Just answering my own question in case anyone else reads looking for an answer. I have purchased a corsair 40x sd card and on first trials seems to work flawlessly at best quality - ie 640x480 30fps with low compression best quality. Not surprised since i realised my initial calculations were in error, the throughput being only 1/3 mB/s on average. Now if only digital compact cameras would take a leap in quality and sought out the abckground noise generated by zoom and focus. All the ones ive seen are terrible. Oh well at least i can take stills forever without having to erase if i want.

Archived