Corsair Community

Corsair PRO PSU CABLE KIT compatibility

Luperkal

Hello,

I just want to make sure that the cable kit I bought is compatible with my PSU. As far as I understand from FAQ etc. those are compatible. But better safe than sorry.

I have corsair HX 850 Platinum and bought PRO PSU CABLE KIT.

Am I completely safe when exchanging those or do I need to watch out for something? spacer.png

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

The HX platinum uses type 4 corsair cables, so this kit is good to go, from what we can see on the side of the box.

Ok thats my first thought too, but I was told that voltages might differ a little bit between certain cables and that that difference can damage my PC, and if I want to be 100% sure it will work I should first check them out using voltage meter. That person also said its much safer to use cable extensions instead of replacing whole cables. Im not really familiar with this stuff so I became doubtfull hence my question.

that person has it backwards...

when you use extensions, there's more contact losses, (3 connexions per cable instead of 2), and longer runs, so you get voltage drop.. more so under load.

Also, the PSU measures the voltage it delivers at the 24 pin connector on the motherboard (and some on the PCIE cables too) to make sure the board gets precise voltages. That's why some pins have two wires going to them. One supply, one voltage sense.

When you add extensions, the PSU can't compensate for the losses in them, and your system works with more unstable power.

If you have good extensions, you may be lucky losing  only a couple hundred mV, but some cause crashes because of Vdrop.

It is always better to use whole cable replacements, as long as the wire gauge is big enough. If you go with reputable sources like the OEM, or Cablemod for example, they are always beefy enough.

Ok thanks for help.