Corsair Community

Corsair 7000D Air Flow and QL 140mm Fan question.

ahfoo

Hi all, good day ahead. My Corsair 7000D Air flow coming on the way and I decided to setup 4 QL 140mm fan onto it. Need to the address some issue here;

1. I already owned the LIGHTING NODE CORE  and Commander PRO XT, Do I need to buy single the twin QL140mm twin pack with LIGHTING NODE CORE come with it or can I used existing my owned  LIGHTING NODE CORE?

2. Can either cases connected the QL 140mm Fan connected to the Commander PRO for RPM control etc....

Thank you.

Just to add on what I intent to achieved.

1. 3 X QL 140mm fan on the front intake and 1 QL 140mm on the back for exhaust.

2. 2 X QL 120mm fan for CPU cooler (air cool)

Thank you.

Any lighting controller can work with any RGB fan type. Nothing different between the LNCore in the box vs the one in the case, although some cases may have a stripped down version without the shell for saving space. You just need 1 and can choose either. 

The Commander XT can handle fan speed for all fans. The PWM speed wire and RGB wire are completely independent and do not need to be on the same controller. However, in this instance it makes the most sense to use the Com XT for both RGB and speed control. You won’t need the LNCore at all. 

28 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Any lighting controller can work with any RGB fan type. Nothing different between the LNCore in the box vs the one in the case, although some cases may have a stripped down version without the shell for saving space. You just need 1 and can choose either. 

The Commander XT can handle fan speed for all fans. The PWM speed wire and RGB wire are completely independent and do not need to be on the same controller. However, in this instance it makes the most sense to use the Com XT for both RGB and speed control. You won’t need the LNCore at all. 

Thank you for replying, but my concern is that from various web source it will not work with COM XT alone. You need a LNCOre from the include package with the QL twin pack to work. Make no mistake for no respect of you but I am kind of confused. 

the com XT can manage PWM for 6 fans, RGB for 6 fans, and still has a free RGB output for strips or whatever.

With 6 fans you're good to go with just that controller.

What about this scenario?   7000D airflow 3 QL140's intake on front, 3 QL120's on the exhaust/AIO, and 1 more QL140 as exhaust on the rear.   Thats 7 fans, obviously but how do I control all 7 without the need to buy another Commander Core? (One came with the AIO i150 capellix).

A Commander Core or XT is a Lighting Node Core, but with a 6 fan PWM controller in the same piece (and of course twice as big). However, there is a difference between a Commander Core and a Commander XT. If you are going to use an Elite series AIO, you must use the Commander Core to power the pump. It therefore makes sense to use that as the RGB/PWM controller. No LNC or Com Core XT needed, except… the dreaded 7th fan. 

For speed control, #7 can go on a standard PWM splitter but no more than 7.  The RGB side is where things get hard. There are RGB splitters in the world that will twin #7 with another fan. Be aware this makes it a copy of another. Fine for individual fan effects. Not so much for waves and moving patterns. The alternative is you make use of the spare Lighting Node Core. You then break the 7 into two groups (6+1, 5+2, 4+3), whatever makes sense for the layout. These will act as two independent lighting zones/groups. 

• Like 1

So I guess its going to look like this

X6   X5  X4

X7                    X3

X2

X1

Being all QL fans I don't think that counts as mixing fan types on the Cores?    So for continuity I should probably run x1 thru x6 on the pumps core, and X7 on its own core XT?  Just seems like a waste of a core xt for one fan.  Do you concur?

It's hard to say.  It depends on how you sit in reference to the case and how much you like sequential fan to fan patterns.  There are a lot of these for the QL. 

1) The above 6+1 option is one, but the lone QL in the rear exhaust will be doing its own thing all the time.  

2) 3 + 4 -> Front 3 group 1, Top 3 + rear exhaust is Group 2.  This lets you run two instances of whatever pattern and those moving ones now have enough room to show.  Where this might not as pleasing is if your viewing angle is heavy on the front 3 + rear exhaust and you can only see the side ring on the top.  This makes the rear fans seem out of touch with the front 3.  Bigger issue when letting CUE do random colors.

3) So then, front 3 + rear is group 1 and top 3 are group 2 - Not linearly pleasing, but if the top are not overly visible this can be the best compromise.

Also, you always can divide groups within the software. Even if you put the front/top 6 QL onto one controller, they can be divided into smaller groups on a software level.  Fans 1-2-3 can do one thing.  4-5-6 can do another.  No physical manipulation required.  

You likely have enough room for the extra controller in 7000, so my advice is to start with one of the above and see which is most appealing to you.  Don't glue anything down just yet.  Most people end up trying it a few different ways.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good day to all, Need to seek some valuable advice from member here regarding of the 7000D airflow. Is there a formular or ratio for Intake and exhaust fan. I got three QL 144mm for intake and 1 QL 140mm for exhaust. How much intake for three intake fan to push into it into (RPM) and how much needed to let exhaust fan (RPM) pull out hot air away from case.

My current intake 700 RPM  and Exhaust at 750 RPM.

Thank you.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, Shadowtracker said:

So I guess its going to look like this

X6   X5  X4

X7                    X3

X2

X1

Being all QL fans I don't think that counts as mixing fan types on the Cores?    So for continuity I should probably run x1 thru x6 on the pumps core, and X7 on its own core XT?  Just seems like a waste of a core xt for one fan.  Do you concur?

There are also 3rd party fan splitters but that might be a bit too much current draw. It's hard to say because we don't know how much power needs to be on reserve for the rest of the pump. So a splitter would work best if you were using a LNC or if you were using the 3-pin Lighting Channel on the Commander Core XT to run a Fan Hub that has the QLs connected to it (isolating the power draw). Up to 7 QL fans can be put on a single SATA power header without exceeded the 4.5A max.