Corsair Community

H100i Pro - iCUE Temperature and Fan Speed Issues

I'm having an issue that just started within the last two weeks. I first noticed that my fans would pick up more speed than usual under min/med load. They seem to be maxing out and sticking there, even after returning to idle loads. iCUE is reading out a range of about 55-60C for the H100i coolant temp with minimal fluctuation. I'm fairly certain usual idle temps were around 30C, moving to 45-50C under load.

What I've tried so far:

Closing/Ending iCUE from tray and task manager then restarting

Uninstalling and Re-Installing iCUE

Changing fan header location on motherboard

Setting custom curves in iCUE (Fan speed remains unchanged regardless of selected profile)

Downgrade to iCUE V3 (No change, returned to current iCUE V4)

At this point I can't tell if it is an iCUE software issue or if my hardware is just beginning to fail. Input is appreciated.

10 hours ago, Nozomi Ink said:

iCUE is reading out a range of about 55-60C for the H100i coolant temp

That's a problem.  At idle the coolant is typically 4-7C above room temp and you might increase +10C under maximum sustained load.  In either case, anything above 50C points to a critical hardware issue, usually a flow problem.  Heat is not being transported to the radiator and back at a proper rate.  If you set the pump to the highest speed and then visibly see the coolant temp drop 2-3C 1-2 seconds later, that is another indicator of a flow problem.  Since coolant temp is also minimum possible CPU temp, this is going to lead to issues when under load with the +30C passed on to all activities.  

The fans are going crazy because the coolant temp is 20C above the expected maximum.  You need to contact Corsair Support if you are still under warranty or start looking for a replacement.  

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

You need to contact Corsair Support if you are still under warranty or start looking for a replacement.  

That's pretty much what I'm assuming, just wanted to get some outside input before potential downtime. Unfortunately regardless of how I change my settings for pump speed/fan curve I don't see any actual changes to my numbers so I can't test for the coolant temp drop you mentioned. iCUE is showing all other temps for my motherboard and CPU package as a 26-36C range so I was just looking for some more information.

10 hours ago, Nozomi Ink said:

iCUE is showing all other temps for my motherboard and CPU package as a 26-36C range so I was just looking for some more information.

Ok, then there is something strange going on. H100i Pro Temp (coolant temperature) is the minimum possible CPU temp. The cold plate transfers heat both ways, so if the coolant is warmer than the CPU is will pass heat back to the CPU. While you might catch them in transition a degree or two apart, -20C means something else and should be impossible.  

1) The coolant temp sensor is malfunctioning.  Pretty rare to see this, but it’s possible. Ruins control and is an essential part of the operation. You can try creating your own custom fan curve and then using something else as the sensor control variable. You really just need the fans to keep moving at a tolerable level. They do not need to be reactive to momentary changes in load. You can accomplish this another way by setting a fixed speed. Something slow and quiet for the desktop and then before any longer load activity like gaming, encoding, etc you set it to a tolerable moderate speed. This is only a temporary solution and you should contact Corsair Support for a replacement. 

2) Other software programs attempting to access the AIO or other internal Corsair gear can lock up the program, cause loss of fan control, and at a minimum create garbage data with impossible values (216C, -10C, 30K rpm, etc). HWiNFO and AIDA are common agents in this, but it would be very unusual for it to affect just the coolant temp. The fans are what most people immediately notice and the UI elements in CUE often disappear entirely.