Corsair Community

Mac iCue 4 icon always in Dock

With iCue 3, the application icon could be hidden from the Finder dock while it was running, which was convenient because otherwise it would always be displayed. In iCue 4 there doesn't seem to be a way to hide the icon in the Finder dock, so it is always shown as running in addition to the presence of the menubar icon. Too much software presence just to run my peripherals! I cannot quit iCue at any time or I lose my Void headset multichannel function, my K95 macros and colors (not in hardware) and the custom dpi setting on my M55 mouse. Can you add the option to hide the dock icon (and ideally the menubar icon too), or tell me if I am overlooking options that already exist? I am using iCue 4.19.191 on MacOS Monterey.

Same issue here, plus I got errors multiple times trying to install (I am guessing issues popping the dialogues for the System Settings it needs to get access to).  In fact I don't think I ever got through the install without an error it just finally installed the iCue apps so I could move forward.  Seems weird for this little applet to tie up 200Mb of RAM just hanging in the background.

• 1 month later...

@Corsair Nick @Corsair Albert Hi guys, do we have any update for this? It's really annoying to have an icon down there where I need to have opened multiple applications while I'm working. 

We don't even have some workaround over there to solve it to leave just the controller on the top bar?

Regards and sorry for tagging you

• Corsair Employees

You can right click on the icon and remove it from the dock. If iCUE is open it will always been in the dock just like other open software running. If you do not have the option like my screenshot shows that is because iCUE is currently open and running.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.48.27 AM.png

Sweet, I will try this after I Force Quit iCUE so it starts working again.  It crashes multiple times a day but since no one from Corsair has commented on my posts the last two iCUE versions I guess it is normal behavior.

Fullscreen_3_11_22__3_50_PM.png.ae2527777230a3d7832a39e44bf30bc5.png

My only option is to check/uncheck Keep in Dock, there is not a Remove From Dock for me.

Fullscreen_3_11_22__3_55_PM.png.b76218d315a56b3c96049849606c4d65.png

On 3/11/2022 at 5:52 PM, Corsair Notepad said:

If iCUE is open it will always been in the dock just like other open software running.

That's not true. There are lots of apps, that allow you to run it without the presence of an icon in the dock. For example, If you open Logitech G Hub it is still running, but there is no icon in the dock. You can even hide the G Hub icon from the menu bar.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 8:06 AM, pe.ce said:

That's not true. There are lots of apps, that allow you to run it without the presence of an icon in the dock. For example, If you open Logitech G Hub it is still running, but there is no icon in the dock. You can even hide the G Hub icon from the menu bar.

Man, I totally missed that part of their post and you're absolutely right.  I have a plenty of apps that run in the menu bar only and no Dock icon, for example Mac fans control, Memory Cleaner, Little Snitch, MS OneDrive, etc).  @Corsair Notepad

Edited by LlamaLarry

• Corsair Employees
18 minutes ago, LlamaLarry said:

Man, I totally missed that part of their post and you're absolutely right.  I have a plenty of apps that run in the menu bar only and no Dock icon, for example Mac fans control, Memory Cleaner, Little Snitch, MS OneDrive, etc).  @Corsair Notepad

There are also plenty of apps that when running, but windows not open remain in the dock without the option to remove it. For example Chrome and Spotify. The iCUE software is not the only one that when running does not allow you to remove it from the dock.

585251507_ScreenShot2022-03-15at12_35_20PM.thumb.png.7838887401fc4ddd6d5f2662e08aca7d.png

1291742767_ScreenShot2022-03-15at12_35_41PM.thumb.png.ce5aa67b65a23bd5e4a41e2076b10416.png

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Corsair Notepad said:

There are also plenty of apps that when running, but windows not open remain in the dock without the option to remove it. For example Chrome and Spotify. The iCUE software is not the only one that when running does not allow you to remove it from the dock.

That's true, but there is a difference between frequently used apps like browser or music app, and apps like iCUE, whose essentially sole purpose is to maintain hardware settings. I, for example, only use iCUE just to set Virtuoso headset. I did it once and I do not need to see the iCUE software in CMD+Tab or in the Dock (or even in the menu bar). The iCUE icon shown when I try change apps using CMD+Tab is extremely annoying and that's one reason why I can't make myself to use iCUE on daily purpose.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Corsair Notepad said:

LOL!  Hilarious comparison. Care to explain why it didn't work this way in iCUE 3 per the OP?  

The only positive of having it in the Dock endlessly is that it makes it that much easier to Force Quit it when it hangs multiple times a day.  Oh, and I guess product marketing likes it too.

• Corsair Employees
20 minutes ago, LlamaLarry said:

LOL!  Hilarious comparison. Care to explain why it didn't work this way in iCUE 3 per the OP?  

The only positive of having it in the Dock endlessly is that it makes it that much easier to Force Quit it when it hangs multiple times a day.  Oh, and I guess product marketing likes it too.

The Legacy iCUE 3 software is not compatible with MacOS 11/12 or M1 based systems. So its behavior on either Version of  MacOS or M1 based Macs cannot be counted on as normal behavior.

• Haha 1

As a software developer I get it, it's Working As Designed/Developed, but that's really weak cover.  I guess consider this thread a feature enhancement request.  

I also get that macOS is late to the party with iCue and this probably includes client development, QA, and product development as well.  It will get better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 8:17 AM, Corsair Notepad said:

The Legacy iCUE 3 software is not compatible with MacOS 11/12 or M1 based systems. So its behavior on either Version of  MacOS or M1 based Macs cannot be counted on as normal behavior.

The amount of confidence in obviously incorrect information is astounding. As others mentioned, the purpose of iCUE is to run as a background app. Every other app that runs as a background service (iCUE 3, BetterTouchTool, Logitech GHub, OneDrive, Google Drive, Alfred, Snagit, VPN Clients, the list goes on) hides their dock icon and maintains only a menubar icon. This is the behaviour we are asking for. There is no reason to compare iCUE 4 to apps like Browsers, Mail, Word, Calendar, etc because those serve a fundamentally different purpose, eg. active foreground use all the time. MacOS architecture (M1 vs Intel) or OS version has nothing to do with the ask.

Here is a blog post on how to accomplish although maybe your iCUE 4 developers could just ask the iCUE 3 team how they did it: https://www.logcg.com/en/archives/3531.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If this is the kind of support I am going to get from  the corsair team then  I might never purchase a corsair product again lol. We use the system every day, are you really going to give that "it's just how it works on macOS"  excuse when there are dozens of apps we use daily that hide their icon from the dock? I am not a developer, but I think that if a open source software like rectangle can hide its icon from the Dock, Corsair should have all the resources in the world to make it happen. Logitech it is, then.

Based on those excuses seems that there is no plan to implement this as a feature!   👎 

Totally understand that this is an improvement that could be made and definitely will cost money... but I guess Corsair should evaluate when they built the headphones if could be cheaper to add at least a memory to save the configurations like the Logitech G HUB mouse has to avoid having open the app and just start it whenever you want to do any change. 

I purchase the Virtuoso SE without knowing about this issue and I really appreciate the quality build! But it's a shame that the development team at least didn't think about a solution for this. When I realize that I need software running in the background just to use my EQ profile... THAT was quite annoying but also having this icon messing around the Dock it's even worst.

18 hours ago, Rocal said:

Based on those excuses seems that there is no plan to implement this as a feature!   👎 

Totally understand that this is an improvement that could be made and definitely will cost money... but I guess Corsair should evaluate when they built the headphones if could be cheaper to add at least a memory to save the configurations like the Logitech G HUB mouse has to avoid having open the app and just start it whenever you want to do any change. 

I purchase the Virtuoso SE without knowing about this issue and I really appreciate the quality build! But it's a shame that the development team at least didn't think about a solution for this. When I realize that I need software running in the background just to use my EQ profile... THAT was quite annoying but also having this icon messing around the Dock it's even worst.

Actually they had this in the older version of this software. One day it was hidden, then I updated and boom "deal with it"

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 11:57 AM, 87racer said:

The amount of confidence in obviously incorrect information is astounding. As others mentioned, the purpose of iCUE is to run as a background app. Every other app that runs as a background service (iCUE 3, BetterTouchTool, Logitech GHub, OneDrive, Google Drive, Alfred, Snagit, VPN Clients, the list goes on) hides their dock icon and maintains only a menubar icon. This is the behaviour we are asking for. There is no reason to compare iCUE 4 to apps like Browsers, Mail, Word, Calendar, etc because those serve a fundamentally different purpose, eg. active foreground use all the time. MacOS architecture (M1 vs Intel) or OS version has nothing to do with the ask.

Here is a blog post on how to accomplish although maybe your iCUE 4 developers could just ask the iCUE 3 team how they did it: https://www.logcg.com/en/archives/3531.html

Has this information been passed onto the developers? Any intention of re-adding the options to hide the dock icon to the app?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2022 at 11:17 AM, Corsair Notepad said:

I've had an m1 macbook for about a year. Only about two weeks ago did the iCUE app show up for me  (*because I was forced to update to the newer iCUE as my mouse stopped functioning*) After the update on iCUE, boom it's in the dock. This disproves your claim that it is the newer mac os that is the problem and it proves that it is the newer ICUE version.

Also, you mention Chrome and Spotify as apps to compare to but those apps don't have menu bar access as well.

Our problem is that we spent $100 on a mouse that used to work and now we are forced to look at an app that we don't use (and can be accessed via menu). We clearly have money to buy another mouse, but we would obviously just prefer this simple thing to be fixed. Today I just updated my iCUE to the newest version and I still can't remove it from the dock, which tells me no one really cares about this issue.

All I'm saying is myself (and I'm sure many other mac users) will be switching mouses if this issue is not fixed by the end of the year. Stop making excuses, and please do your job as an employee and relay this message to your boss.

Any update here? This makes for a very poor user experience and is not how the Windows version works either. I can't think of any reason keeping this in the dock is necessary. Please fix. Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Checked in on my own thread finally. Corsair staffer: iCue is driver software and a control interface, occasionally adjusted but not used. Like all keyboard/mouse/headset/peripheral software, for decades, it does not need a user interface visible 24/7. The ever-presence of its icon in the Mac Dock is unjustifiable from both technical and UI standpoints. Your top competitors get this. Please don't defend the poor engineering oversight, it's such a simple fix, they could push it out in no time and comply with this aspect of previous iCue behavior. There will be much rejoicing.

• Like 1