Corsair Community

A7N8X deluxe with two CMX512-3200C2 problems - help!

TheSandmaN

I've been having problems running my system stably with these two dimms together on my motherboard. System will lock up anywhere between just loading the desktop to playing games for about 30 minutes. Now the odd thing is I can run my computer just fine with either one of the sticks till the cows come home (I tested each stick separately for a week each with no problems), but when I put both of them in at the same time, I start to have problems. The dimms are in slots 1 and 2 - single channel mode: dual-channel mode locks up immediately for me. All my system specs are below. Any one have ideas on this one? I am at a loss... :(: [U]System specs:[/U] ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.4 (flashed to bios version 1007) Athlon XP 2400+ 2 - 512MB Corsair CMX512-3200C2v1.1 dimms geforce 4 ti4600 128mb Windows XP Home [U]CPU/memory settings:[/U] CPU External Freq: 133 MHz Freq Multiplier: 12.5x CPU Interface: Optimal Mem Freq: 100% Resusting Freq: 133 MHz Active precharge delay: 6 RAS to CAS delay: 3 RAS precharge delay: 3 CAS latency: 2.5T CPU Vcore: 1.65V Graphics aperture: 512 MB DDR voltage: 2.7V FSB+AGP spread spectrum: disabled I ran memtest86 v3.0 on both dimms at the same time with these results: Walltime: 10:48 Memmap: e820-Std Cache: off ECC: off Test: Std Pass: 17 Errors: 0 ECC Errs: 0

• Corsair Employees
Please set the memory Freq to 125% so the memory is at DDR333 and then you can try setting the timings to Cass 2-3-2-5 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and see if that does not solve the problem.

Well, I tried setting the mem. frequency to 125% (resulting in 166MHz), and I changed the memory setting to what you recommended: Active precharge delay: 5 RAS to CAS delay: 2 RAS precharge delay: 3 CAS latency: 2 However you said to change the RAS-CAS delay to '3'? So did you want me to change settings to 5-2-3-2 or to 5-3-3-2? I tried it with 5-2-3-2 (as above), but still get the same problems with system lockups. What should I try next? Should I try testing each dimm individually with memtest86, even though I got no errors on previous testings with both dimms together? Also, is it possible that one or both dimms are just weak? Thanks in advance, Ram Guy! :edit: dimm voltage is still set at 2.7V :double edit!: I just reformatted my drive recently and now have Win XP Pro installed - just fyi...

Interestingly enough, my system is stable now with both dimms installed while doing mudane tasks (browsing, streaming music, playing videos, using MS Office) and has been running overnight with no problems. However, when I start to put a load on the memory by playing a game (Quake 3 Arena, Hitman 2, C&C Generals, Call of Duty) my system will lock up as before. Although with Hitman 2, which is an older game and doesn't require as much memory, I can play it a bit longer than the others before my system freezes. I also noticed that this person is having the exact same problems that I am: [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19225&highlight=A7N8X[/url] Well, I'm going to try upping the voltage to 2.8V to see if that doesn't help. "We'll be right back with 'My Two Dimms', right after these commercial messages and a word from our sponsor!" :edit: System locked as soon as I hit the windows 'restart' button. :sigh!:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
Let's try replacing your modules. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the RMA please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

Hi Ramguy, I have EXACTLY the same problem and a nearly identical system to the Sandman. Same MB and version / flashed the bios to 1.07 etc... ASUS GeForce4 graphics card, using onboard audio. I've been running this system for almost a year on some generic pc2100 (2x256MB) memory from MWAVE.com and no major problems that I noticed except about 20 percent of the time when booting up, the bios would say "system failed memory test" but it would boot up and run everything just fine until recently I started having odd graphics problems and irregular crashes while playing games. I thought I had the problem pinned down to one of the old modules. When I removed one of the modules, things seemed to run fine. I swapped modules and would get "windows protection error, system halted" every time on this machine or my other computer. Seemed to be a module went bad. I just bought a 1 GB Corsair kit PC 3200 from MWAVE, and have the same problems that Sandman notes above. I can run fine with one module. If I install modules in block 1 and 3 to get dual channel mode, I can start and run windows, IE, or Outlook, but I can't even get a game started without locking up. Modules in blocks 1 and 2: "windows protection error - system halted" Modules in blocks 2 and 3: system goes into a continual "reboot mode", tries to start windows and trips off and restarts before any of the windows graphics show up. I haven't tinkered with manually settings for memory yet, but since Sandman is getting the same problems, I tend to think it's a problem with this version of the MB? Disappointing since I generally have had very good luck with ASUS equipment. I'll stay tuned to see if anyone has any good ideas for solving this problem. Thanks for any ideas! BZ

Sure, the pn is VS512MB400 (pair of them) I spent some time this pm talking to mwave support, and more troubleshooting. I can run either of these modules in any of the 3 slots on the MB, but now, any time I have 2 in, the system shuts off during the boot process. I can get into bios, but it will crash before windows shows up at all. Mwave said I could trade up to some twinx modules, which I am going to try. In the meantime, I'll be running on one module. After that, maybe try swapping out the MB? I know you must be tired of trying to help ASUS mb owners, I see a lot of problems with this model. Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
Hey RamGuy! Just got my RMA'd sticks of memory from Corsair a few days ago and I am super stoked to report that everything is up and running smoothly and stably. Although I still can't get them to run together in dual-channel mode on my MB, but for only 1.5% performance increase I could care less. Everything is working and sooo smooth! Sitting at 166MHz speed at 5-2-3-2 timings and 2.7 volts. Righteous. Thanks a ton for your help. -SandmaN

I don't have another dual-channel motherboard to test them on, however I had problems with running the 2 dimms I had before on this motherboard at the same time - with the new dimms I have had no problems at all since installation. I may try dual mode again on this MB to see if I can get it working, but I'm just happy that they are both working in single channel mode now.

• 4 weeks later...
*sigh* I guess I spoke too soon - I'm still having lockup problems on my system when I play games even with relaxed timings, however the dimms work fine on another mb so I'm going to try to rma the mb through asus. Thanks for your help in all of this and if you or anyone else have other suggestions I am all ears. Thanks much, John

Archived