Corsair Community

[a7200] RTX 3070 low usage, Ryzen 5 5600X high usage. Stuttering and low(er) FPS in games where there shouldn't be any.

Hello! Hope you all are having a lovely day / evening.

My PC is having an issue where the GPU utilization is lower than it should be. It barely if ever reaches 99% or 100% load. The CPU, however, does a lot of the work. I'm assuming this is the core of the problem. My RAM is clocked correctly, and my HDMI cable is inserted into the GPU itself.

So, I've tried most everything that I've found online to try and fix this issue, being;

• Reinstall Windows (went from 11 to 10 64-bit)
  • Re-install GPU / CPU drivers
  • Check temps for throttling in games (tested in Cyberpunk 2077 and wasn't getting even close to throttle levels of heat. The CPU was doing most of the work, at around 80-90% usage while the GPU was sitting quite low below that. Ray-Tracing is on with DLSS set to 'Performance'.) AC:Odyssey/Origins and Far Cry 5 also have similar issues, though I've been told this is a game-side issue.
  • I've checked for any abnormalities inside the computer and nothing seems to be amiss.

None of this has fixed the issue as far as it is concerned. I have no idea what to do.

Cyberpunk 2077 runs at around 50-90 FPS at 1080p, Ray-Tracing Ultra, DLSS 'Performance'. Far less than I would have expected. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a stutter-fest (capped at 60 FPS with V-Sync on), but uncapping the frame-rate has my FPS sitting at around 90-100 FPS depending. It still stutters often, however. VR games are more of the same.

To be clear: here are the specifications:
RTX 3070 FE, Ryzen 5 5600X, 16GB DDR4-3200.

Has this been an issue for anyone else? If anyone has had this issue and has fixed it, how? I don't really want to send the PC back, but I really don't know what else there is to do. Thanks!

when it comes to stuttering, i would look at programs running in  background.

for very demanding games i used to close iCUE because it did cause that constantly.

I don't know what other programs the A7200 comes with but it's worth having a look at windows task manager, see what processes may be using the CPU, and close them IF you know them.

Now it could also be that you're just CPU bound on some games. That's why freeing up as much resources as possible can be helpful.

If your CPU is busy running useless stuff in the background, that's CPU time that won't be used to throw frames at the GPU

1 hour ago, LeDoyen said:

when it comes to stuttering, i would look at programs running in  background.

for very demanding games i used to close iCUE because it did cause that constantly.

I don't know what other programs the A7200 comes with but it's worth having a look at windows task manager, see what processes may be using the CPU, and close them IF you know them.

Now it could also be that you're just CPU bound on some games. That's why freeing up as much resources as possible can be helpful.

If your CPU is busy running useless stuff in the background, that's CPU time that won't be used to throw frames at the GPU

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I checked and there were no programs that seemed to take up any significant CPU power. iCUE is uninstalled.

I tested RDR2 as well and the GPU hovers around 60% and never goes over. The CPU is around there as well. There were stutters.