Corsair Community

Rattling noise on PC start...H150i/PSU?

Hey all,

So far the last few weeks, when I start up my computer, I get this loud rattling noise coming from somewhere within, that goes away after the computer is running (generally 2-4 minutes).

I've tried narrowing it down each time it happens, and have ruled out it being any of the fans within the computer (by stopping each fan, the rattling continued), I've also made sure it wasn't the GPU fans (the rattling persisted even when the GPU fans hadn't started up yet).

I've checked to make sure there no stray wire or cables clipping any fan blades also, so I've narrowed it down to two options.

1 - The H150i AIO Cooler, Now, I'm not an expert, and I thought the only moving parts on this were the fans installed onto the radiator, which I've checked and checked again. However, could it be the pump? Is there something in there that could rattle?

2 - The PSU, which is a CORSAIR RM850x Modular ATX PSU - 850 , Now I know this has a fan in it, but it's the one thing I'm reluctant to take out and check as that would mean stripping the computer down to get to it....is there any good ways to check or test without resorting to that?

Both of the above were purchased in July 2020 and used for around 2 months before being placed in storage for a year (a dry warm place!), and then used again for around 4 months before this rattling started occurring, so the PSU and AIO have only really been used for 6 months if that.....surely one of them can't be having issues already, right?

Thanks for your help!

Dale

some years ago i had a similar issue.  a rattle that was stopping after some power on time.

so i didn't pay much attention to it.   one day the rattling was not stopping anymore.

i realized it was my psu fan (other famous brand, not corsair).  Just to be sure i put my finger through the fan protection

to stop the fan for a second (it doesn't hurt) and stopping the fan also the rattle was stopping.

you can try the same. maybe you can use a pencil or something. 

this is what's inside an H100 pump

av8oz5Z_700bwp.jpg.6659e2bfd486e88cb162be5f17edff38.jpg

as you can see there is a small "fan" inside moving coolant along the loop.

one guy wrote: "Heres the inside of the pump assembly on a Corsair H100 AIO cpu cooler.it started to make a rattly sound after 6 long years..

sure dont hold much coolant..maybe a 1/4 cup..if that".

so yes, it could be also the pump but your aio is still quite new...

are you sure it's not the case itself?   are all the screws thightened?

15 hours ago, zultan said:

some years ago i had a similar issue.  a rattle that was stopping after some power on time.

so i didn't pay much attention to it.   one day the rattling was not stopping anymore.

i realized it was my psu fan (other famous brand, not corsair).  Just to be sure i put my finger through the fan protection

to stop the fan for a second (it doesn't hurt) and stopping the fan also the rattle was stopping.

you can try the same. maybe you can use a pencil or something. 

this is what's inside an H100 pump

av8oz5Z_700bwp.jpg.6659e2bfd486e88cb162be5f17edff38.jpg

as you can see there is a small "fan" inside moving coolant along the loop.

one guy wrote: "Heres the inside of the pump assembly on a Corsair H100 AIO cpu cooler.it started to make a rattly sound after 6 long years..

sure dont hold much coolant..maybe a 1/4 cup..if that".

so yes, it could be also the pump but your aio is still quite new...

are you sure it's not the case itself?   are all the screws thightened?

Hi thanks for your reply,

Having read your post, I've checked all the fastenings and screws of the case and confirmed they are all solid, so not that! Good idea though.

I suppose my only way forward is to do what you said and stop the PSU fan manually, however with my case (Coolermaster COSMOS) thats easier said that done! Especially in the few minutes before the rattling stops....it might be my only option is to remove the entire PSU from the case and let it go completely cold before plugging it in outside the case and testing the fan (The rattle usually only happens after the computer has been off for a good while).

If it is the H150i however then I'm pretty much screwed right? As from looking at the picture I'm not sure how easily that fan that moves the coolant can be replaced and how easy replacing coolant would be if I spilled any in the process. Either way I'm very disappointed that one of these Corsair products seems to be faulty after only 6 months of use! But due to the year gap between installing them and getting back to using the computer the warranty will be over >.<

hi. i tried to help you because usually you get very little replies on this forum and I know how frustrating it is.

which cosmos do you own?  the wonderful cosmos II ?

If you want to try and stop the psu fan, and you have limited time, you must get ready before you turn on

your rig.   don't you have a dust filter or grid to go through and stop the fan?

you can use something long and thin.  stopping the fan for just a second is enough while rattling to be sure

that's because of the psu.   if the noise is coming from your psu don't despair

825733625_Immagine2022-02-05152523.png.6e1b9fc91a0a19133f86b4b848de626d.png

as you have a ten years warranty on your psu.

and also our cooler (i have the same aio) should have a 5 years warranty.

790145660_Immagine2022-02-05153952.thumb.png.cf3c7ec1886d363e106f6fc9ce10101f.png

what's important now is to be sure about what's rattling.

however in case it's the psu fan you have a double issue because your psu should be a 0 RPM one.

This means the fan should spin only under heavy load.

I would listen somewhere else before wasting my time removing the psu.

I would unplug all the other fans in the case. you can set the aio on 0 rpm mode for a while.

then you can keep your ear wide open and try to understand where is the rattiling coming from.

open the side panel before starting the pc and listen carefully.  does the rattle sounds like plastic or metal?

if you don't want to remove the psu, you can lean the pc on one side and maybe you can stop the fan using

a thin hard wire. through a hole.  or use a flashlight and just look if the fan is moving or it's off so you don't

need to remove the psu.

I would be glad to help you more but unfortunately I'm not there with you.

let me know how is your troubleshooting going ok?

p.s.  sorry for my bad english