Corsair Community

Corsair Obsidian 1000D help with radiators

I plan to make a insane water-cooled Corsair Obsidian 1000D Build for work/games

Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
CPU: AMD Threadripper™ 3990X
GPU: 4x NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3090 (dual NVLink)
Memory: 256GB RAM (8x32GB) G.SKILL TridentZ Neo DDR4-3200MHz CL14
Storage: 20TB (5x4TB Raid 0) Kingston KC3000 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD
PSU: Corsair AX1600i + Corsair SF750 (2.35kW Total)

and need all help possible with radiator thickness, especially from those who have this case.

r/Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 1000D helpMaximum radiator configuration by Corsair
r/Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 1000D help

1000D dimensions for 4x 480mm radiators

• To cool it all down i will use 4x 480mm radiators, on front/top, all 4 in push-pull configuration +2 exhaust on back, for a total of 34 fans (16+16+2). But then the problems start, because using tops and the fronts radiators with push-pull the space would be restricted and tight , so I would have to analyze the thickness of the four 480mm radiators, leaving me with few options:

• Option 1: 30mm thick on front + 30mm thick on top
    100% fit, few mm lap over fans and looks great, but i want max performance and dual 30mm is not optimal for best cooling on this 2kW+ build.

• Option 2: 45mm thick on front + 30mm on top
    i already saw a i build where this is possible, a bit more overlap but still looks great for me and better performance than option 1 but still not enough for what i really want

Option 2 build

Option 2 corner/overlap

• Option 3: 45mm thick on front + 45mm on top
    for that, it's required to remove top sliding rails and screw the trays direct on the case, having extra 20mm~25mm of radiator thickness for the top the corner overlap would be the same as shown in option 2, it looks fine for me.

• Option 3.5: same as option 3 but screwing the trays some mm to the left side, considerably decreasing the corner overlap, and giving a more beautiful aesthetic inside the case, sacrificing the external aesthetics of the upper part. like here:

Option 3.5 screwed direct on case + to the left

Option 3.5 reduces corner overlap looking internally better, externally worse

so the corner overlap optionally would be smaller looking more like option 1, instead of option 2. But honestly option 3 (looking like 2) instead of 3.5 (looking like 1) is ok.

• finally Option 4: this option is the one that i want but i'm not even sure if it would fit, 45mm + 58/55mm or dual 58/55mm for max cooling performance.

for that it's REQUIRED to remove top sliding rails AND screw the trays to the left side (like shown in option 3.5 but required, not optional). Then MAYBE i have a chance to use 58/55m on top OR front and 45mm on the other. and with insane luck having the maximum dual 58/55m (best possible).

If anyone had the same dilemma, please let me know how you resolved it. if anyone has this same case, please i would really appreciate doing some measurements, to see if options 3 and 4 are viable, i'm open to any advice or tips. Thanks in advance.

For max cooling performance in the 1000d, you would need to have 2 x 480 (58/60mm) radiators at the front and 2 x 360 (58/60 mm) radiators at the top, all in push/pull.

The above combination gives the best radiator cooling, as well as the most silent fan operation, and all fits inside the case, without having to modify any of the rails..  It would look the same as the first pic in your post, which is the one Corsair built.

Using radiators that are thinner then the above ones, will result in less cooling performance.  60mm radiators in push/pull give the best cooling performance, over 30mm or 45mm radiators.,

With all the hardware you are putting into the case, especially the 4 x 3090 GPU's, you will need the thicker 60mm to achieve the best temps.

Edited by Mich-91

9 hours ago, Mich-91 said:

For max cooling performance in the 1000d, you would need to have 2 x 480 (58/60mm) radiators at the front and 2 x 360 (58/60 mm) radiators at the top, all in push/pull.

1. Do you think if i am willing to modify my case (top trays direct on case), and fit the 4x480 (45mm) + would be a better cooling than the one you mentioned? sacrificing some thickness for more vertical space and more fans in push-pull. This one 100% works and fits.

2. With this modification maybe i could even fit 2x480 (55/58mm) on top + 2x480 (45mm) on front or vice-versa, that one would surely outperform in terms of cooling but i'm not even sure if that's possible and would fit.

1. Do you think if i am willing to modify my case (top trays direct on case), and fit the 4x480 (45mm) + would be a better cooling than the one you mentioned? sacrificing some thickness for more vertical space and more fans in push-pull. This one 100% works and fits.

No the 2 x 480 and 2 x 360 Rads, all at 60mm thickness and all in push/pull, have a greater cooling capacity than 480 - 45mm rads.

2. With this modification maybe i could even fit 2x480 (55/58mm) on top + 2x480 (45mm) on front or vice-versa, that one would surely outperform in terms of cooling but i'm not even sure if that's possible and would fit.

I don't think this combination in No 2 would even fit in push/pull, no matter how much you modified the case.  Plus  the 2 x 360 - 60mm rads would have a greater cooling capacity than the 2 x 480 - 45mm rads.    Honestly the best way to go is the 2 x 480 and 2 x 360 Rads, at 60mm and all in push/pull and you don't need to modify a single thing to make them fit..  And especially with you wanting to run 4 x 3090 GPU's,  the thicker rads will most definitely give you the maximum/lowest temps, especially when your system is under load.

Edited by Mich-91

I have the following on my 1000D. 1 x 360 Alphacool Monsta(80mm) and a Ek 360Xe(60mm) on the top tray and 2 x alphacool UT60 480(60mm) on the front tray. All fans on push/pull. Awesome cooling with all fans on 1,200rpm and entire loop driven by a single D5 pump(alphacool vpp 755. About 6.5c coolant delta.